Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartPages)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

jminiman

Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartPages)
I see this error constantly show up in my error logs:

Task Scheduler failed to start "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
\CrawlStartPages" task for user "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService".
Additional Data: Error Value: 2147750692.

I've seen this on two Vista machines I've built. Google doesn't seem
to have any insight into this. What's the deal?

jminiman

Re: Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartPages)
On Feb 18, 10:07 am, "jminiman" <jaredscott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see this error constantly show up in my error logs:
>
> Task Scheduler failed to start "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
> \CrawlStartPages" task for user "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService".
> Additional Data: Error Value: 2147750692.
>
> I've seen this on two Vista machines I've built. Google doesn't seem
> to have any insight into this. What's the deal?

Am I the only one who's ever seen this?

Windy George

Re: Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartP
Hi jminiman:
You are not the only one! I see this on my machine too. It appears to be a
scheduled task set up at install time and I would very much like to kill this
task but I do knot know what consequences there may be. Some one out there
must know what this is and be able to help!!!

George

"jminiman" wrote:

> On Feb 18, 10:07 am, "jminiman" <jaredscott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see this error constantly show up in my error logs:
> >
> > Task Scheduler failed to start "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
> > \CrawlStartPages" task for user "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService".
> > Additional Data: Error Value: 2147750692.
> >
> > I've seen this on two Vista machines I've built. Google doesn't seem
> > to have any insight into this. What's the deal?

> Am I the only one who's ever seen this?

kelleyu

Re: Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartPages)

I get this message as well, but so do two other Vista machines that I
have looked at.

If you start the Management Console and select the Task Scheduler, you
will find "CrawlStartPages" as a system task. If you look at the details
of the task, you will see that it is set to run when the computer is
idle, and to retry every 10 minutes until it runs successfully. When I
compare the times that it attempted to run with the error log, I see
that the messages were logged when I was using the machine, and
therefore could not run, and so terminated. To me, that means that the
error was generated because the task could not run (the computer wasn't
idle). This shouldn't be an error message, at best it should be a
warning.

What the task is and what it does, I don't know. I can't find any
information whatsoever about it. It does seem to be a critical task,
though, because it can't be disabled or altered in any way.

K.

--
kelleyu
ycandrea

Re: Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartPages)

Hi, I noticed this in my task scheduler too and you can delete it.
Just go into task scheduler, go down to Active Tasks, double click on
CrawlStartPages and then go to Action, and Delete. I have deleted the
OPTIN task also. I do not want Microsoft sending information that I do
not know about. To me, it is more like a virus than a help. But that's
just me.
Andrea

--
ycandrea
zver1

Re: Event Viewer Shows Frequent TaskScheduler Failure (CrawlStartPages)

From Microsoft knowledge base kb939039 task scheduler tasks Crawler runs
to index disk for faster searches. Runs in idle time and so should not
be disruptive(theoretically). failure errors of no importance since
just resumes indexing next time idle time found. The conditions tab on
the properties screen of the task under task scheduler can be used to
fine tune when this runs. Disabling the task is an option though
searches will be affected.

--
zver1