Re: Twain in Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?TEsgaW4gSFAgMzM4MCBsb3N0IGxhbmQ=?=

Re: Twain in Vista?
So where does one get a Twain scanner driver for Vista? I have a HP 3380 and
Microsoft was kind enough to provide the WIA driver so the scanner works with
Adobe 8 with very limited capability - I cannot select the page size so all
of the scans are legal size (my scans look like a child did them!). It is
also dreadfully slow. I think I can live with this until July (hopefully
sooner) when HP releases the new Toolbox software and restores the other 2/3s
of my functionality, IF I can get the scanner to work properly. Guess I
should be happy to just be printing, but I feel like I am in the dark ages
again! This just should not be this hard! Please help!

"vista" wrote:

> thans man.
> this xp compatibility mode really help me install my 1200u perfection xp
> drivers.
> without it the installation could not complete
> i unplag/plag
> restarted the scanner
> and it was ready for use.
>
> million thans.
>
> "David Goll [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Yes, TWAIN will work in Vista.
> >
> > (Note: the following are not product endorsements; just speaking from direct
> > experience with a couple scanners)
> >
> > Although the steps differ from vendor to vendor (and often model to model
> > for the same vendor), here's what I do to install the drivers for an Epson
> > Perfection 1200 Photo:
> >
> > Download the latest XP driver package from Epson's website
> > Run the self-extracting exe (uncheck "When Done Unzipping Run: Setup.exe")
> > Go to the new directory, open the properties dialog for Setup.exe and select
> > XP SP2 compatibility (this isn't necessary for all installation packages, but
> > it's necessary for this particular package)
> > Run Setup.exe
> > Connect a USB cable and turn on the device
> > Allow Vista to "Locate and install driver software..."
> > Select "Install Anyway" when it warns of an unsigned driver (this is
> > perfectly safe in this case because it uses the in-box usbscan.sys driver)
> >
> > As an example of how different the process can be for another device, I have
> > to do the following for a CanonScan FS 4000 US:
> > Download the latest XP driver package from Canon's web site
> > Run the self-extracting exe (this just places files in a directory... no
> > installation done yet)
> > Connect a USB cable and turn on the device
> > Allow Vista to "Locate and install driver software..."
> > Select "I don't have the disc. Show me other options."
> > Select "Browse my computer for driver software..."
> > Browse to the location where the files were extracted
> > Select "Install anyway" (once again, perfectly safe because it uses
> > usbscan.sys)
> > (For anyone who actually has an FS4000US, also download and install the
> > v1.04 patch after successfully installing the v1.03 drivers. Unplug the
> > device before installing the patch.)
> >
> > So, in general, follow the same steps you would on XP. If the setup program
> > fails, try enabling the XP SP2 compatibility. If the device is based on an
> > in-box driver like usbscan.sys, it's safe to install in spite of installation
> > warnings.
> >
> > --
> > David Goll
> > Windows Portable Devices Team

> > "Bill Condie" wrote:
> >
> > > My Epson 3170 decided to work after I DLd the latest XP driver.
> > >
> > > The Install CD gave me errors and Epson replied to my email:
> > >
> > > Since Vista is still in the Beta stage we have no drivers that are
> > > supported for your version of Windows. Once Vista is officially released
> > > information about it will appear shortly after (allow a few months). We
> [...]

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Twain in Vista?
Look at posts I have made including in a thread that you are in with
the URL to find it -- and what to do if that URL does not work for you.

I've also, just now, given the filename so you can search for it on the
HP website.