Can't delete fonts

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

tedmi

Can't delete fonts
I want to delete some of the 609 fonts that were installed with Windows
Vista. After wading through file ownerhsip issues, I staill can't get rid of
some of them - I get a message that the file is open in another program. This
happens even for non-Latin fonts which I KNOW are not being used by any part
of the UI. Any way around this?

Thanks.
--
TedMi
anandk

RE: Can't delete fonts
They could quite possible be the protected default system fonts !

Just be careful which ones's u end up deleting, else ur system could become
unbootable.
--
www.WinVistaClub.com
Microsoft MVP 2007 Awardee.

"tedmi" wrote:

> I want to delete some of the 609 fonts that were installed with Windows
> Vista. After wading through file ownerhsip issues, I staill can't get rid of
> some of them - I get a message that the file is open in another program. This
> happens even for non-Latin fonts which I KNOW are not being used by any part
> of the UI. Any way around this?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> TedMi

tedmi

RE: Can't delete fonts
Some of these undeletable fonts are novelty fonts (eg. Chiller, Ravie) that
are surely not system default. Others I want to replace with my own versions
which support many more character sets than the ones provided with the o/s.
Any work arounds?
--
TedMi

geepers

RE: Can't delete fonts
I have the same problem but a good answer was posted by Pedrocadiz on
6/26/2006 'Re File that will not delete'. Alas, it has the answers but not
the solution!! Windows/Fonts folder is always in use and therefore you can't
delete individual fonts within it (I'd like to too having today naively
copied some monster ttc files from a freebie CD) no option but to live with
the larger Fonts folder . . .

"tedmi" wrote:

> Some of these undeletable fonts are novelty fonts (eg. Chiller, Ravie) that
> are surely not system default. Others I want to replace with my own versions
> which support many more character sets than the ones provided with the o/s.
> Any work arounds?
> --
> TedMi

Vayavaya is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trusted installer
i had the same problem but none of these tips was working
i saw a post in this forums and for me it worked!
but i had to change the owner in c and also the owner of the font in the properties pannel of the font file.
a bit annoying doing it for everyone but... it works!

Vista Permissions and trusted installer! - MSFN Forums

i don't know, i wrote above this url adress of the forum where i found it but it is not appearing in the post when i save it

so it was in the page MSFN - Where People Go To Know > board > vista permision trusted installer

Last edited by Vayavaya : 03-06-2008 at 12:22.

LarryBrown is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trusted installer
Yes you can delete the fonts.
No, you don't have to live with a bunch of garbage fonts.
The "file is open by another program" is wrong and misleading.
The Chinese, Korean, Japanese and other whacky fonts are not locked by the system, nor required for the system to operate.

------first give yourself ownership and full control of the font file(s):-------------

capnquackenbush is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trusted installer
Hello. Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having issues removing a font using your method. I installed a font named "Lucida Grande.tff". I think the space is causing problems, but I'm not sure. When running takeown it says it can't find the file name. I've tried placing it in quotes, placing the entire path in quotes, and using the 8.3 form of the file. C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\LUCIDA~1.TFF should've been a surefire winner. The takeown help doesn't really lay out exactly how it takes that argument. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've got some websites that aren't rendering properly.

Splicer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trusted installer
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnquackenbush View Post
Hello. Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having issues removing a font using your method. I installed a font named "Lucida Grande.tff". I think the space is causing problems, but I'm not sure. When running takeown it says it can't find the file name. I've tried placing it in quotes, placing the entire path in quotes, and using the 8.3 form of the file. C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\LUCIDA~1.TFF should've been a surefire winner. The takeown help doesn't really lay out exactly how it takes that argument. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've got some websites that aren't rendering properly.
If you're still having this issue, run the "dir" command in the fonts directory and make sure the font file is stored as the filename you think it is. It may have been truncated or changed in some other manner, or have a different extension.

Last edited by Splicer : 01-12-2012 at 11:09. Reason: Clarification

LsK80st is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: trusted installer
i had the same problem but none of these tips was working
i saw a post in this forums and for me it worked!
but i had to change the owner in c and also the owner of the font in the properties pannel of the font file.
a bit annoying doing it for everyone but... it works!

Last edited by LsK80st : 07-01-2012 at 16:04.