Robocopy sets attributes on destination folder to system and hidde

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

MitchW

Robocopy sets attributes on destination folder to system and hidde
Hello,

I am trying to copy a file from one Vista system to another. I have created
a mapped drive on one box.

I issue the command

robocopy c:\ y:\images\ 1.wim I have also tried
robocopy c: y:\images 1.wim

Each time when robocopy completes the directory attribbutes on the second
system \images is set to system and hidden.

If I issue the same command to the same system (i.e., robocopy c:\ c:\temp
1.wim) the attributes on c:\temp are not set to system and hidden.

Is there some way to fix this or what am I doing wrong?

thanks,
mitch

glennpsion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever get a reply?
I have found if the destination folder exists, then things work.
If it doesn't then the destination folder is created as a hidden folder AND you cannot remove it as it is made as a 'system folder'.
I have got aroung this my using mkdir command before running the robocopy command..............but surely robocopy should have an answer to this (a switch?) or is this a bug?
Synapse Syndrome

Re: Robocopy sets attributes on destination folder to system and hidde
"glennpsion" <glennpsion.3dxto2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:glennpsion.3dxto2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Did you ever get a reply?
> I have found if the destination folder exists, then things work.
> If it doesn't then the destination folder is created as a hidden folder
> AND you cannot remove it as it is made as a 'system folder'.
> I have got aroung this my using mkdir command before running the
> robocopy command..............but surely robocopy should have an answer
> to this (a switch?) or is this a bug?

Nobody in the newsgroup knows what you are talking about as you didn't quote
what you were replying to. Most people here are not using the forum that
you are using.

Anyway, what switches are you using? I have never seen behaviour as you
describe with Robocopy, although I do not use /COPYALL.

ss.

glennpsion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unbelievable. I just spent 10 mintue typing a reply into the box, go to send, and it says it
has logged me out.............mail totally lost. Great...........!
I'll start again, this time cutting and pasting from a notepad file.

............."Nobody in the newsgroup knows what you are talking about as you didn't quote
what you were replying to"..............if it is that difficult to use the web site no
wonder very few people use it. I saw the message, I pressed reply.
Anyway, on to the problem:
I am actually using XP, but I understand from searches on the Web that all this is also a
VISTA problem. This problem definitely exists:
Robocopy and Hidden Files : Robocopy
Robocopy creates hidden directorys in win xp
Destination Folder hidden/invisible after using xcopy or robocopy - Neowin Forums
The script I am using is:
robocopy F: "M:\290_MOB1_BU_D_Media" *.* /MIR /X /FP /V /XD "_RESTORE" "System Volume Information" /R:1 /W:1 /TEE
If the destination drive is empty and robocopy has to create the folder, then the folder is not only created as a hidden folder, but created as a system folder, so th hidden attribute cannot be undone.
I get around this at the moment by putting the following script before the robo script:
mkdir "M:\290_MOB1_BU_D_Media"
Everything then works ok and the folder is not hidden.
If the folder already exist, the command effictively gets ignored.
This has to be a bug.
If not AT THE VERY LEAST the documentation should explain why this behaviour is so.
Glenn

"glennpsion" <glennpsion.3e1rc0@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:glennpsion.3e1rc0@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> unbelievable. I just spent 10 mintue typing a reply into the box, go to
> send, and it says it
> has logged me out.............mail totally lost. Great...........!
> I'll start again, this time cutting and pasting from a notepad file.
>
> ............"Nobody in the newsgroup knows what you are talking about
> as you didn't quote
> what you were replying to"..............if it is that difficult to use
> the web site no
> wonder very few people use it. I saw the message, I pressed reply.
> Anyway, on to the problem:
> I am actually using XP, but I understand from searches on the Web that
> all this is also a
> VISTA problem. This problem definitely exists:
> 'Robocopy and Hidden Files : Robocopy'
> (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Stor..._23481234.html)
> 'Robocopy creates hidden directorys in win xp'
> (http://tinyurl.com/598d3x)
> 'Destination Folder hidden/invisible after using xcopy or robocopy -
> Neowin Forums' (http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=579263)
> The script I am using is:
> robocopy F: "M:\290_MOB1_BU_D_Media" *.* /MIR /X /FP /V /XD "_RESTORE"
> "System Volume Information" /R:1 /W:1 /TEE
> If the destination drive is empty and robocopy has to create the
> folder, then the folder is not only created as a hidden folder, but
> created as a system folder, so th hidden attribute cannot be undone.
> I get around this at the moment by putting the following script before
> the robo script:
> mkdir "M:\290_MOB1_BU_D_Media"
> Everything then works ok and the folder is not hidden.
> If the folder already exist, the command effictively gets ignored.
> This has to be a bug.
> If not AT THE VERY LEAST the documentation should explain why this
> behaviour is so.

That is weird, and not something that I have had happen to me. What version
of Robocopy are you using? I use XP026 on XP, which is a newer version than
the one that comes in the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit. One of the
links you gave suggests that this is not a problem in later versions of
Robocopy, like the Vista version.

Does this also happen with the /B switch, for Backup mode?

You can always use..

ATTRIB -h - s <folder name>

...to get rid of those attributes. If you use the command without any name,
it should be applied to all folders and files in the current directory.

ss.

glennpsion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using XP010.........so an older version.
I can't even remember where I got it now.

Perhaps it was on the Windows XP CD.

Perhaps I need to get the newer version. Any idea where you can down load it?

Perhaps setting the attribute will help, but creating the directory equally works................ both is one command too many.

I haven't tried the /B switch.

I'll put this down as a bug which probably got fixed. I would need to find an official XP026 and see what 'bugs' were fixed in there and if this was one of them.

"glennpsion" <glennpsion.3e3gg4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:glennpsion.3e3gg4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I am using XP010.........so an older version.
> I can't even remember where I got it now.
>
> Perhaps it was on the Windows XP CD.
>
> Perhaps I need to get the newer version. Any idea where you can down
> load it?
>
> Perhaps setting the attribute will help, but creating the directory
> equally works................ both is one command too many.
>
> I haven't tried the /B switch.
>
> I'll put this down as a bug which probably got fixed. I would need to
> find an official XP026 and see what 'bugs' were fixed in there and if
> this was one of them.

XP026 is the latest version that works correctly in XP, as far as I know.
The Vista RTM or SP1 versions do not work in XP. It's pretty stupid that
they still distribute XP010 in the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit, as it
also has other bugs, like not copying over the correct folder timestamps
when told to do so.

The only way to get XP026, as far as I know, is to install the Robocopy GUI.
When you do that, XP026 gets added to your system32 folder.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc160891.aspx

Alternatively you can email me at the address in the headers (remove
spamtrap) and I will send it to you.

Post back if it does solve your problem.

ss.

glennpsion is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll probably give at this point unless it becomes a real problem.
It clearly is a bug but I have got around it and my daily, weekly and monthly backup, since I changed to backing up from the root of a disk, are now all working fine again.

.......at least I know there is an updated version.

Thanks for your help though. I hope others that have this problem get to see this.

Regards

Glenn

alank is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Robocopy sets attributes on destination folder to system and hidde
Seems to have something to do with going directly from a root of a drive. I am trying to backup my D: drive where I store all of my data. C: is reserved for just the OS. I'm backing up to my G: drive which is external USB. To get around this problem I had to add attrib command at end of my script. And I also create the Backups directory first incase it doesnt exist for some reason or you will fail for the LOG param. If the Backup dir does already exist, the mkdir is ignored.
@echo off
mkdir G:\Backups
robocopy D: G:\Backups /XD Images $RECYCLE.BIN "System Volume Information" /S /R:0 /W:0 /LOG+:"G:\Backups\backup.log" /TEE /NFL /NDL /NP
attrib -h -s G:\Backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW View Post
Hello,

I am trying to copy a file from one Vista system to another. I have created
a mapped drive on one box.

I issue the command

robocopy c:\ y:\images\ 1.wim I have also tried
robocopy c: y:\images 1.wim

Each time when robocopy completes the directory attribbutes on the second
system \images is set to system and hidden.

If I issue the same command to the same system (i.e., robocopy c:\ c:\temp
1.wim) the attributes on c:\temp are not set to system and hidden.

Is there some way to fix this or what am I doing wrong?

thanks,
mitch

mtech is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Robocopy sets attributes on destination folder to system and hidde
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Seems to have something to do with going directly from a root of a drive. I am trying to backup my D: drive where I store all of my data. C: is reserved for just the OS. I'm backing up to my G: drive which is external USB. To get around this problem I had to add attrib command at end of my script. And I also create the Backups directory first incase it doesnt exist for some reason or you will fail for the LOG param. If the Backup dir does already exist, the mkdir is ignored.
@echo off
mkdir G:\Backups
robocopy D: G:\Backups /XD Images $RECYCLE.BIN "System Volume Information" /S /R:0 /W:0 /LOG+:"G:\Backups\backup.log" /TEE /NFL /NDL /NP
attrib -h -s G:\Backup
I have exactly the same problem with Windows 7 64 Bit Professional. I Bought a 1½ Tb Drive for all my backups and they are all hidden which is a PITA. Going to try your attrib command.