Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

adrian7886@yahoo.co.uk

Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
I have two identical Western Digital SATA hard drives both 250GB. The
PC knows both devices are there in the bios and device manager but
when viewed from my computer it only shows a single SATA drive with
250gb storage ??

Vista was installed as a new install not upgrade.

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
Hello,

could it be that your hard drives are built in a RAID? This would mean that
your data is mirrored onto the second drive for data security and therefore
there are only 250 GB available.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

news:1182449231.151789.3840@m36g2000hse.googlegrou ps.com...

On 21 Jun, 19:19, "P. Di Stolfo" <paolodisto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> could it be that your hard drives are built in a RAID? This would mean that
> your data is mirrored onto the second drive for data security and therefore
> there are only 250 GB available.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> <adrian7...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:1182449231.151789.3840@m36g2000hse .googlegroups.com...
>

> >I have two identical Western Digital SATA hard drives both 250GB. The
> > PC knows both devices are there in the bios and device manager but
> > when viewed from my computer it only shows a single SATA drive with
> > 250gb storage ??

> > Vista was installed as a new install not upgrade.- Hide quoted text -

Hello

If it is I didnt tell it to and dont want it !!

How do I tell the PC not to use RAID?

P. Di Stolfo

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
Hello,

if it is being used, you can switch it off in BIOS.

news:1182450418.115310.42500@m36g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...

On 21 Jun, 19:32, "P. Di Stolfo" <paolodisto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if it is being used, you can switch it off in BIOS.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> <adrian7...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:1182450418.115310.42500@m36g2000hs e.googlegroups.com...
>

> > On 21 Jun, 19:19, "P. Di Stolfo" <paolodisto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> could it be that your hard drives are built in a RAID? This would mean
> >> that
> >> your data is mirrored onto the second drive for data security and
> >> therefore
> >> there are only 250 GB available.

> >> Greetings,
> >> P. Di Stolfo

> >> <adrian7...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im
> >> Newsbeitragnews:1182449231.151789.3840@m36g2000hse .googlegroups.com...

> > Hello

> > If it is I didnt tell it to and dont want it !!

> > How do I tell the PC not to use RAID?- Hide quoted text -

Been messing around with that and cant see where to turn it off

Out with the manual I guess.

Just for info MB is a MSI 975X Platinum power up edition

Duncan

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
I know for Intel motherboards, there's a setting in the BIOS that reads
something like: "Show SATA as:" and then the options are IDE or RAID. You
should have it set for IDE if you don't want to use RAID.

Cheers

<adrian7886@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1182451624.637367.200030@c77g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> On 21 Jun, 19:32, "P. Di Stolfo" <paolodisto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> if it is being used, you can switch it off in BIOS.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> P. Di Stolfo
>>
>> <adrian7...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitragnews:1182450418.115310.42500@m36g2000hs e.googlegroups.com...

>> > Hello

>> > If it is I didnt tell it to and dont want it !!

>> > How do I tell the PC not to use RAID?- Hide quoted text -

> Been messing around with that and cant see where to turn it off
>
> Out with the manual I guess.
>
> Just for info MB is a MSI 975X Platinum power up edition

Steve Easton

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
Is the second drive formatted?
The OS won't display it if it isn't

--

Steve Easton

<adrian7886@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1182449231.151789.3840@m36g2000hse.googlegrou ps.com...
>I have two identical Western Digital SATA hard drives both 250GB. The
> PC knows both devices are there in the bios and device manager but
> when viewed from my computer it only shows a single SATA drive with
> 250gb storage ??
>

> Vista was installed as a new install not upgrade.

Frank

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
adrian7886@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> I have two identical Western Digital SATA hard drives both 250GB. The
> PC knows both devices are there in the bios and device manager but
> when viewed from my computer it only shows a single SATA drive with
> 250gb storage ??
>

> Vista was installed as a new install not upgrade.

In computer management/disk management, right click and mark the disk as
"active".
Reboot.
Frank
Andy

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
<adrian7886@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1182451624.637367.200030@c77g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> On 21 Jun, 19:32, "P. Di Stolfo" <paolodisto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Been messing around with that and cant see where to turn it off
>
> Out with the manual I guess.
>
> Just for info MB is a MSI 975X Platinum power up edition

Manual says...

BIOS > Integrated Peripherals > SATA Devices Configuration

Your settings should be something like:

SATA Mode: IDE or AHCI (AHCI should be faster, IDE used to install Windows
that doesn't have SATA controller drivers like XP)

On-Chip Serial ATA: Auto or Enhanced Mode should work.

That should be all ya need. If that fails then could be something wrong with
your second HD or the SATA controller. Try a different SATA port like SATA3
or 4.

Good luck,
A.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Hard drive shows in device manager and at at boot
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:19:04 +0200, "P. Di Stolfo"
<paolodistolfo@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> could it be that your hard drives are built in a RAID? This would mean that
> your data is mirrored onto the second drive for data security and therefore
> there are only 250 GB available.

Lest this confuse anybody, that is *not* strictly correct. There is
more than one kind of RAID. What you are describing is called RAID1,
or mirroring. RAID0, on the other hand, or striping, is not redundant,
and does not work the way you describe.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup