regsvr32 error

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Lulu

regsvr32 error
I tried to run the program

regsvr32.dll

but when i try to run it, an error comes up that says:

To reguister a module, you must provide a binary name.

Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
/u - Unregister server
/s - Silent; display no message boxes
/i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline];
when used with /u calls dll uninstall
/n - do not call DllRegister Server; this option must be used with /i

What does this mean? How can i get this program to run?

Tom Porterfield

Re: regsvr32 error
Lulu wrote:
> I tried to run the program
>
> regsvr32.dll
>
> but when i try to run it, an error comes up that says:
>
> To reguister a module, you must provide a binary name.
>
> Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
> /u - Unregister server
> /s - Silent; display no message boxes
> /i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline];
> when used with /u calls dll uninstall
> /n - do not call DllRegister Server; this option must be used with /i
>
> What does this mean? How can i get this program to run?

Please give the complete command that you are trying to run including
command line arguments, as well as details on what you are trying to
accomplish by running the program.

Regsvr32 is a program that is used to register components on your
machine so that the can be programmatically accessible from other
applications. So at the least you need to pass in to regsrv32 the name
of the file that you want to register.

Also, in Vista this requires administrator privileges so you need to do
this from an elevated command prompt.
--
Tom Porterfield
Chad Harris

Re: regsvr32 error
Hi Lulu--

What's your objective? Usually running a regsvr command is aimed towards
reregistering something specific. What is it that isn't working that you
are trying to fix?

Regsvr32.exe is a process belonging to the Windows OS and is used to
register dynamic-link libraries and ActiveX controls in the registry

The message means that you need to provide a specific name of some program
you're trying to reregister.

For example in this MSKB that is meant to fix connectivity problems with IE
in XP (that's often helpful):

The new window that you open in Internet Explorer displays a blank white
page

I have no idea what programs you are trying to fix by reregistering specific
..dlls, so the above MSKB is used as an example.

CH

"Lulu" <Lulu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to run the program
>
> regsvr32.dll
>
> but when i try to run it, an error comes up that says:
>
> To reguister a module, you must provide a binary name.
>
> Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
> /u - Unregister server
> /s - Silent; display no message boxes
> /i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline];
> when used with /u calls dll uninstall
> /n - do not call DllRegister Server; this option must be used with /i
>
> What does this mean? How can i get this program to run?

Lang Murphy

Re: regsvr32 error
"Lulu" <Lulu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to run the program
>
> regsvr32.dll
>
> but when i try to run it, an error comes up that says:
>
> To reguister a module, you must provide a binary name.
>
> Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
> /u - Unregister server
> /s - Silent; display no message boxes
> /i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline];
> when used with /u calls dll uninstall
> /n - do not call DllRegister Server; this option must be used with /i
>
> What does this mean? How can i get this program to run?

Are you trying to register vbscript.dll so you can install iTunes?

Lang

Chad Harris

Re: regsvr32 error
Hi Lang--

If so it'd be done this way:

Error: The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this
package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is
2738.

or

"iTunes could not be installed because Visual Basic Script (VBScript) is not
installed or has been disabled. Make sure VBScript is installed, turn off
script blocking in anti-virus and personal firewall software, reregister
VBScript, and the install iTunes."

iTunes and QuickTime for Windows XP cannot be installed without Visual Basic
Script (VBScript)
Symptom
In some instances, the iTunes and QuickTime Installers may unexpectedly quit
during the "Preparing to Install" stage of the installation with the
following message:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738.
In some cases, the error message may read

"iTunes could not be installed because Visual Basic Script (VBScript) is not
installed or has been disabled. Make sure VBScript is installed, turn off
script blocking in anti-virus and personal firewall software, reregister
VBScript, and the install iTunes."
Products affected
iTunes 7.0 or later
QuickTime 7.1.3 or later
Windows XP
Solution
The iTunes and QuickTime Installers uses a technology called "Windows
Installer", provided by Microsoft. If you see this error, it may be because
the Windows Installer technology is unable to process the Visual Basic
Script embedded inside the iTunes and QuickTime Installers. You may resolve
this issue by installing the latest VBScript engine from Microsoft.
Re-enabling the VBScript engine in Windows XP

If the VBScript is installed, it might not be registered within Windows XP.
To re-enable the VBScript engine, follow these steps:

On the Start menu, click Run.
In the "Open" field, enter the following command and click OK.
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
A message should appear stating that the "DllRegisterServer in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vbscript.dll succeeded."
Click OK and try installing iTunes or QuickTime again.
Note that the user needs to be logged in as the administrator or is a user
with admin privileges for the step above.

CH

"Lang Murphy" <lang_murphy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Lulu" <Lulu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I tried to run the program
>>
>> regsvr32.dll
>>
>> but when i try to run it, an error comes up that says:
>>
>> To reguister a module, you must provide a binary name.
>>
>> Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
>> /u - Unregister server
>> /s - Silent; display no message boxes
>> /i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline];
>> when used with /u calls dll uninstall
>> /n - do not call DllRegister Server; this option must be used with /i
>>
>> What does this mean? How can i get this program to run?
>>

> Are you trying to register vbscript.dll so you can install iTunes?
>
> Lang

Lang Murphy

Re: regsvr32 error
"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> Note that the user needs to be logged in as the administrator or is a user
> with admin privileges for the step above.
>

> CH
>

> "Lang Murphy" <lang_murphy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Lulu" <Lulu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I tried to run the program
>>>
>>> regsvr32.dll
>>>
>>> but when i try to run it, an error comes up that says:
>>>
>>> To reguister a module, you must provide a binary name.
>>>
>>> Usage: regsvr32 [/u] [/s] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] dllname
>>> /u - Unregister server
>>> /s - Silent; display no message boxes
>>> /i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline];
>>> when used with /u calls dll uninstall
>>> /n - do not call DllRegister Server; this option must be used with /i
>>>
>>> What does this mean? How can i get this program to run?
>>>

>> Are you trying to register vbscript.dll so you can install iTunes?

Hey Chad,

Yeah, just thought that might be what she was trying to do... seems to be,
uh, a "popular" regsvr32 topic lately.

Good link... thanks!

Lang