Vista loses internet connection

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

wayiwalk

Re: Vista loses internet connection

This particular problem has been plagueing me since purchasing a new
computer with VISTA about 2 months ago.

I've spent hours trying to find a fix.

Today, I learned something that may have been causing it...but first to
backtrack.

When I first lost internet access about a month or so ago, I tried
everything and searched everywhere on the net. I knew it wasn't a
hardware/router/ISP issue as I could plug my windows xp laptop into the
very same patch cable and immediately get access; it must be some sort
of switch, so to speak, within windows Vista.

I recall when I finally got the access back, it was right after windows
performed an automatic update. I thought it so strange - how could
windows perform an update if it couldn't access the internet in the
first place?

Well, I went along fat dumb and happy until I lost access again
today....ready to blame the family for something they did on the
computer, I decided instead to go into computer doctor mode.

I think I got lucky. After going through trying different modes of
connectivity, futzing around with various network settings, I was ready
to throw in the towel; this time, while shutting down (rather than a
reboot), I happened to notice that as I brought the cursor over the
"turn off" computer icon in the start bar, or whatever it's called,
that it was a different color. I held it over that icon (the one that
looks like a circle with a line pointing towards 12 oclock), and saw
that it had a message to "install updates and shutdown".

I selected that.

I wasn't confident that installation would take place, but it went
through 8 updates, and then shutdown.

I restarted the computer, and internet access was back.

I checked my "install automatic updates" setting, and saw that it was
set to install them at 3:00 am EST....a time the computer is usually
off.

Could MS have programmed a setting in internet connectivity that
prevents internet access without the latest updates? I suppose so - it
may be their good intentions to make sure the computer user doesn't lose
control of their computer for whatever the latest hack can do, until
they install such updates.

Fine.

But, wouldn't it be nice if they made the users aware of this?

Anyway, I'm not 100% certain that this was the cause, but I've resent
the automatic update option for a mid-day time; and will pay more
attention in the future. Still, a 2 for 2 cause suggests that this was
driving this particular problem.

--
wayiwalk
wayiwalk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37533

http://forums.techarena.in

AlexB

Re: Vista loses internet connection
I am no quite sure what I want to say is directly related to your loss of
connectivity but there is a chance that you are missing on a ritual Vista
follows and unless you are vigilant you may get in trouble (temporarily).

Vista downloads upgrades at a certain time according to the schedule you
yourselves set up in Control Panel. There is also a default. If you did not
set them up they will be attempted at 3:00 AM daily. Then the system will
try to install them. It cannot install them without your permission as an
administrator. It places a button on Task Bar for your to click and it is
slightly highlighted in red. Sometimes two or three such buttons may
accumulate. Until you clicked them and gave the OS permission to go ahead
with installation the process is hanging in a queue. This perhaps blocks
your Internet, but I am not sure.

Next time I have a download I will check if the Internet access is up.

"wayiwalk" <wayiwalk.31plzd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> This particular problem has been plagueing me since purchasing a new
> computer with VISTA about 2 months ago.
>
> I've spent hours trying to find a fix.
>
> Today, I learned something that may have been causing it...but first to
> backtrack.
>
> When I first lost internet access about a month or so ago, I tried
> everything and searched everywhere on the net. I knew it wasn't a
> hardware/router/ISP issue as I could plug my windows xp laptop into the
> very same patch cable and immediately get access; it must be some sort
> of switch, so to speak, within windows Vista.
>
> I recall when I finally got the access back, it was right after windows
> performed an automatic update. I thought it so strange - how could
> windows perform an update if it couldn't access the internet in the
> first place?
>
> Well, I went along fat dumb and happy until I lost access again
> today....ready to blame the family for something they did on the
> computer, I decided instead to go into computer doctor mode.
>
> I think I got lucky. After going through trying different modes of
> connectivity, futzing around with various network settings, I was ready
> to throw in the towel; this time, while shutting down (rather than a
> reboot), I happened to notice that as I brought the cursor over the
> "turn off" computer icon in the start bar, or whatever it's called,
> that it was a different color. I held it over that icon (the one that
> looks like a circle with a line pointing towards 12 oclock), and saw
> that it had a message to "install updates and shutdown".
>
> I selected that.
>
> I wasn't confident that installation would take place, but it went
> through 8 updates, and then shutdown.
>
> I restarted the computer, and internet access was back.
>
> I checked my "install automatic updates" setting, and saw that it was
> set to install them at 3:00 am EST....a time the computer is usually
> off.
>
> Could MS have programmed a setting in internet connectivity that
> prevents internet access without the latest updates? I suppose so - it
> may be their good intentions to make sure the computer user doesn't lose
> control of their computer for whatever the latest hack can do, until
> they install such updates.
>
> Fine.
>
> But, wouldn't it be nice if they made the users aware of this?
>
> Anyway, I'm not 100% certain that this was the cause, but I've resent
> the automatic update option for a mid-day time; and will pay more
> attention in the future. Still, a 2 for 2 cause suggests that this was
> driving this particular problem.
>

> --
> wayiwalk
> wayiwalk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37533
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=678214
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

AlexB

Re: Vista loses internet connection
When you first press your start button (power button on the machine) right
before any windows related messages appear, press F8 button. You may
actually try to do it a few times if you missed the moment. Also I am not
quite sure if it is F8, most likely it is F12, but I do not quite remember.

You will get a black screen with a few options. You will have to select them
with UP and Down arrows. There will be an options Start In Save Mode. Click
it.

It takes some time to navigate through subsequent instructions because
people who write them usually lapse in technical slang that generates
ambiguities in a lay mind. But it is doable.

"wayiwalk" <wayiwalk.31plzd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> This particular problem has been plagueing me since purchasing a new
> computer with VISTA about 2 months ago.
>
> I've spent hours trying to find a fix.
>
> Today, I learned something that may have been causing it...but first to
> backtrack.
>
> When I first lost internet access about a month or so ago, I tried
> everything and searched everywhere on the net. I knew it wasn't a
> hardware/router/ISP issue as I could plug my windows xp laptop into the
> very same patch cable and immediately get access; it must be some sort
> of switch, so to speak, within windows Vista.
>
> I recall when I finally got the access back, it was right after windows
> performed an automatic update. I thought it so strange - how could
> windows perform an update if it couldn't access the internet in the
> first place?
>
> Well, I went along fat dumb and happy until I lost access again
> today....ready to blame the family for something they did on the
> computer, I decided instead to go into computer doctor mode.
>
> I think I got lucky. After going through trying different modes of
> connectivity, futzing around with various network settings, I was ready
> to throw in the towel; this time, while shutting down (rather than a
> reboot), I happened to notice that as I brought the cursor over the
> "turn off" computer icon in the start bar, or whatever it's called,
> that it was a different color. I held it over that icon (the one that
> looks like a circle with a line pointing towards 12 oclock), and saw
> that it had a message to "install updates and shutdown".
>
> I selected that.
>
> I wasn't confident that installation would take place, but it went
> through 8 updates, and then shutdown.
>
> I restarted the computer, and internet access was back.
>
> I checked my "install automatic updates" setting, and saw that it was
> set to install them at 3:00 am EST....a time the computer is usually
> off.
>
> Could MS have programmed a setting in internet connectivity that
> prevents internet access without the latest updates? I suppose so - it
> may be their good intentions to make sure the computer user doesn't lose
> control of their computer for whatever the latest hack can do, until
> they install such updates.
>
> Fine.
>
> But, wouldn't it be nice if they made the users aware of this?
>
> Anyway, I'm not 100% certain that this was the cause, but I've resent
> the automatic update option for a mid-day time; and will pay more
> attention in the future. Still, a 2 for 2 cause suggests that this was
> driving this particular problem.
>

> --
> wayiwalk
> wayiwalk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37533
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=678214
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

jdwroten

Re: Vista loses internet connection

I have Windows Update set to "Never Check for Updates". I manually run
the update every month or two. This way, I maintain control over the
update process and if anything gets broken by the update (not
uncommon), I know the cause. So this cannot be the cause of my losing
internet connectivity, which happened again today BTW. This time, a
reboot of the workstation was required. Jim

--
jdwroten
AlexB

Re: Vista loses internet connection
Sorry, I attached another reply to your post that was intended for a
different problem. My first post was OK. My second advice if you want to
take it is this. Next time it happens try to "log off" after Ctrl+Alt+Del.
It seems I've had somewhat similar problem (no loss of connectivity
though--at least I did not pay attention) which I cured always this way. You
may not need to reboot, just log off. It is much faster. The machine is
being cleaned up this way.

"jdwroten" <jdwroten@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have Windows Update set to "Never Check for Updates". I manually run
> the update every month or two. This way, I maintain control over the
> update process and if anything gets broken by the update (not
> uncommon), I know the cause. So this cannot be the cause of my losing
> internet connectivity, which happened again today BTW. This time, a
> reboot of the workstation was required. Jim
>

> --
> jdwroten

jdwroten

AlexB;834632 Wrote:
> You may not need to reboot, just log off. It is much faster.

Nope, takes either a router reboot or machine reboot, depending. A
logoff/logon doesn't help, but thanks for the suggestion.

--
jdwroten
Roger K

> AlexB;834632 Wrote:
>> You may not need to reboot, just log off. It is much faster.

> Nope, takes either a router reboot or machine reboot, depending. A
> logoff/logon doesn't help, but thanks for the suggestion.

I've been having similar problems - my Vista laptop was losing connectivity
after sleep but my XP desktop was good on the same modem. The cure I found
was to go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver for the network card,
then reboot and let Vista install the generic driver. It works fine now --
but I won't be surprised if the next update introduces the same problem
again.

tj_shopper

Re: Vista loses internet connection

Hi. I'm having the same issue, but I have a desktop. Whenever the
computer is idle for a couple of minutes, the internet shuts down. I
hate this thing! I don't have the same problem on my other two
computers which is Windows XP. Can someone help me with this?

I'm not very technical, so if you can give me step by step
instructions, that would be most helpful. I believe the instructions
stated previously are for laptops and mine is a desktop.

Thanks in advance!

--
tj_shopper
tj_shopper's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=37814
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=678214

http://forums.techarena.in

huppes

jdwroten;806596 Wrote:
> I have the same problem in Vista Ultimate. Power Mgt has always been off
> for the NIC. I have a Linksys WRT54G coming off the cable modem. The
> Vista computer having the problem is wired into the hub with CAT5.
> Another computer sharing the WRT54G wirelessly never has a problem (it
> is running Fedora Linux 6, BTW :wink.
>
> Typically, I'm listening to internet radio or watching a Youtube video
> when I lose the internet. Rebooting does fix it, but I've learned that
> rebooting the router fixes it too - and quicker. It's not a router
> problem, since the Linux system never loses the Internet. Just
> unplugging / replugging the CAT5 cable from the router doesn't fix it.
>
> I don't know if this is the same or different problem as the original
> post, but it seems that we could pick up a commonality here somehow.
>
> I've applied all MS patches to Vista, to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you fixed the problem since then ? I have the same setup as you
and made the same attempts as described in this whole thread, and am
still experiencing the problem.

Thanks a lot.

Sylvain.

--
huppes
Creginas

Re: Vista loses internet connection

I have lost my Internet Connection for my laptop, 2 days in a row.
First time, I tried everything I could think of and finally tried a
restore to get me back, which did not work, but did say the last
restore was 2 days before when Windows did Live Updates. It was a
holiday weekend and I had not used my laptop, but had not shut it down
either. When I checked my Netgear Router, my laptop was not listed as
an attached device or even in the list of those that could connect. I
added it and was able to get my connection back.

Today I came home and had lost my connection again. A little balloon
on the Task Bar said Windows had installed Live Updates, click to
review. Checked attached devices on my Netgear Router and once again,
my laptop was no longer listed.

I think I can live without Windows Live Updates =)

--
Creginas
Creginas's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50598