Turn Off Certain services

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Tom

Turn Off Certain services
Hi,

Anyone know of a good list of services I can turn off to save memory usage?
Rick Rogers

Re: Turn Off Certain services
Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not that
expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much memory. If you
find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background application.

Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be able
to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for more
"free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential - memory is
designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for any memory
available where it can, but it will also release it to more important
applications when warranted.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Anyone know of a good list of services I can turn off to save memory
> usage?

Scott

Re: Turn Off Certain services
[Default] On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:57:45 -0500, "Rick Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> spake thusly:

>Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not that
>expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much memory. If you
>find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background application.
>
>Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be able
>to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for more
>"free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential - memory is
>designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for any memory
>available where it can, but it will also release it to more important
>applications when warranted.

Is Vista vastly improved over XP when it comes to running unnecessary
and unneeded services?

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Rick Rogers

Re: Turn Off Certain services
Vastly? No. Somewhat, yes. It runs services automatically based on the setup
configuration that most users will want to have running. Like XP, there are
some that may be deemed unnecessary to the more knowledgable user, but the
effect they have on system performance is negligible.

--

"Scott" <geekboy@angrykeyboarder.com> wrote in message
> [Default] On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:57:45 -0500, "Rick Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> spake thusly:
>
>>Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not
>>that
>>expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much memory. If
>>you
>>find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background application.
>>
>>Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be
>>able
>>to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for more
>>"free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential - memory is
>>designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for any memory
>>available where it can, but it will also release it to more important
>>applications when warranted.

> Is Vista vastly improved over XP when it comes to running unnecessary
> and unneeded services?
>
> --
> Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Scott

Re: Turn Off Certain services
[Default] On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 06:30:17 -0500, "Rick Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> spake thusly:

>.... the effect they have on system performance is negligible.

I've read differing opinions on that topic. I don't have one myself.
Tom

Re: Turn Off Certain services
Hi Rick,

Like in XP, but moreso in Vista (incredible how many services are running),
I don't need a good lot of them running at all. My PC is a stand alone, not
networked and the unnecessary services running are not killing me in memory
so much (you are correct, it is negligable), but they cycle the CPU pretty
much, and I find it unnecessary.

> Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not
> that expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much memory.
> If you find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background
> application.
>
> Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be
> able to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for
> more "free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential - memory
> is designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for any memory
> available where it can, but it will also release it to more important
> applications when warranted.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone know of a good list of services I can turn off to save memory
>> usage?

Danny Wareham

Re: Turn Off Certain services
Tom,

You could try being a beta tester for Vista Smoker Pro. It has yet to be
released. It has a button for a services configuration you would love.
It's called "Bare Bones". It will stop and disable all unnecessary services
for a person in your situation, just with the click of the mouse. However,
if you are connected to the internet, then I recommend the "Safe" or "Power
User" service configurations.

I'm not trying to make a dime right now. I just need Beta Testers (It's
hard to find Beta Testers with a retail or OEM copy of XP). If you provide
me with feedback you'll get a free registration code.

If you interested please contact me at admin@xp-smoker.com

Kind Regards,
Danny Wareham, President
WareSoft Software
http://www.xp-smoker.com XP Smoker - The Hot Performance Booster for Windows
XP http://www.waresoftsoftware.com Popular Software at Great Prices

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
news:b_mdnTTT4NrP41bYnZ2dnUVZ_syunZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> Hi Rick,
>
> Like in XP, but moreso in Vista (incredible how many services are
> running), I don't need a good lot of them running at all. My PC is a stand
> alone, not networked and the unnecessary services running are not killing
> me in memory so much (you are correct, it is negligable), but they cycle
> the CPU pretty much, and I find it unnecessary.

>> Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not
>> that expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much memory.
>> If you find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background
>> application.
>>
>> Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be
>> able to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for
>> more "free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential -
>> memory is designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for any
>> memory available where it can, but it will also release it to more
>> important applications when warranted.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a good list of services I can turn off to save memory
>>> usage?

Danny Wareham

Re: Turn Off Certain services
I'm sorry I need to submit a correction.

I wrote:

I just need Beta Testers (It's
hard to find Beta Testers with a retail or OEM copy of XP).

I meant this:

I just need Beta Testers (It's
hard to find Beta Testers with a retail or OEM copy of Windows Vista).

"Danny Wareham" <tweaked2themax@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:x6OdnZs9b4Bc4lbYnZ2dnUVZ_uSgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Tom,
>
> You could try being a beta tester for Vista Smoker Pro. It has yet to be
> released. It has a button for a services configuration you would love.
> It's called "Bare Bones". It will stop and disable all unnecessary
> services for a person in your situation, just with the click of the mouse.
> However, if you are connected to the internet, then I recommend the "Safe"
> or "Power User" service configurations.
>
> I'm not trying to make a dime right now. I just need Beta Testers (It's
> hard to find Beta Testers with a retail or OEM copy of XP). If you
> provide me with feedback you'll get a free registration code.
>
> If you interested please contact me at admin@xp-smoker.com
>

> Kind Regards,
> Danny Wareham, President
> WareSoft Software
> http://www.xp-smoker.com XP Smoker - The Hot Performance Booster for
> Windows XP http://www.waresoftsoftware.com Popular Software at Great
> Prices
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> news:b_mdnTTT4NrP41bYnZ2dnUVZ_syunZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Like in XP, but moreso in Vista (incredible how many services are
>> running), I don't need a good lot of them running at all. My PC is a
>> stand alone, not networked and the unnecessary services running are not
>> killing me in memory so much (you are correct, it is negligable), but
>> they cycle the CPU pretty much, and I find it unnecessary.
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not
>>> that expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much
>>> memory. If you find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background
>>> application.
>>>
>>> Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be
>>> able to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for
>>> more "free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential -
>>> memory is designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for
>>> any memory available where it can, but it will also release it to more
>>> important applications when warranted.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Tom

Re: Turn Off Certain services
No thanks,
Though I appreciate the offer, I have a much better time taking care of my
OS myself. XP (I know you mean Vista here) did a great job of handing the
registry itself, and I am good enough to make change there and Vista is not
that much different underneath. Most 3rd party programs (nothing personal)
making claims to make an OS run better are not really doing that, since it
is running as a program and using resources.

Again, thanks, but any reasonable suggestions to my question will be greatly
appreciated.

"Danny Wareham" <tweaked2themax@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:x6OdnZs9b4Bc4lbYnZ2dnUVZ_uSgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Tom,
>
> You could try being a beta tester for Vista Smoker Pro. It has yet to be
> released. It has a button for a services configuration you would love.
> It's called "Bare Bones". It will stop and disable all unnecessary
> services for a person in your situation, just with the click of the mouse.
> However, if you are connected to the internet, then I recommend the "Safe"
> or "Power User" service configurations.
>
> I'm not trying to make a dime right now. I just need Beta Testers (It's
> hard to find Beta Testers with a retail or OEM copy of XP). If you
> provide me with feedback you'll get a free registration code.
>
> If you interested please contact me at admin@xp-smoker.com
>

> Kind Regards,
> Danny Wareham, President
> WareSoft Software
> http://www.xp-smoker.com XP Smoker - The Hot Performance Booster for
> Windows XP http://www.waresoftsoftware.com Popular Software at Great
> Prices
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> news:b_mdnTTT4NrP41bYnZ2dnUVZ_syunZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Like in XP, but moreso in Vista (incredible how many services are
>> running), I don't need a good lot of them running at all. My PC is a
>> stand alone, not networked and the unnecessary services running are not
>> killing me in memory so much (you are correct, it is negligable), but
>> they cycle the CPU pretty much, and I find it unnecessary.
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Why, Tom? Do you not have sufficient memory? If so, buy more, it's not
>>> that expensive. Services, as a general rule, do not use that much
>>> memory. If you find yours lacking, it's more likely to be a background
>>> application.
>>>
>>> Basically, the memory management model is pretty good, and it should be
>>> able to handle any needed transitions or paging. If you are looking for
>>> more "free" memory, then you are wasting your machine's potential -
>>> memory is designed to be used. Vista's memory model will find use for
>>> any memory available where it can, but it will also release it to more
>>> important applications when warranted.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Danny Wareham

Re: Turn Off Certain services
Vista Smoker does not run in the background and use resources.

It works passively.

It just makes it easier to have a professional go through all the services
for you with presets and do it.

I just wanted to make it clear that it doesn't run in the background. I
agree with you. Having a program using up resources is
well..........pointless, if reducing resource usage is the whole point of
the program.

news:jrSdnUVYPuxAEFbYnZ2dnUVZ_tyinZ2d@insightbb.co m...