Vista defrag

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

cpu_expert

Vista defrag
I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they
changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of defrag
(quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone else
feel the same?
dev

Re: Vista defrag
/cpu_expert/ said:

> I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they
> changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of defrag
> (quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone else
> feel the same?

In Windows Explorer, right-click a drive letter and then click PROPERTIES.
Click the TOOLS tab and note the choices.
Rock

Re: Vista defrag
"cpu_expert" wrote
>I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they
> changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of defrag
> (quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone
> else
> feel the same?

You can choose a particular volume by running defrag from an elevated
command prompt. You can also query the from there the extent of
fragmentation. There is no progress indicator however.

From and elevated command prompt do
defrag /? to see the various options.

This issue has been discussed in depth in one or more of the Vista
newsgroups. Do a Google Groups Advanced search on
microsoft.public.windows.vista.* searching for defrag. I believe some of
these discussions were in this newsgroup and in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...oe=UTF-8&hl=en

If you want to see a graphical representation then use a 3rd party
defragmenter such as PerfectDisk or Diskeeper (others should offer up their
recommendations). Personally I don't think they are worth the money. Set
the Vista defrag to run once a week when the computer is not other wise
being used (that's the default setting) and don't worry about it. One less
manual task to occupy yourself with.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

brink

Re: Vista defrag

cpu_expert;328648 Wrote:
> I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when
> they
> changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of
> defrag
> (quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone
> else
> feel the same?

Hi cpu_expert,

Do what I did and download Auslogics Disk Defrag. It's free, and in my
opinion better.

'_http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php_'
(http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php)

Hope you like it,
Shawn

--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others
Alfred Lorona

Re: Vista defrag
"cpu_expert" <cpuexpert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they
> changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of defrag
> (quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone
> else
> feel the same?

Yes. Vista's de-frag sucks for the reasons you indicate. I don't know if I
have time to go for a walk around the block because a progress bar is at 50
percent or wait a minute for that last 1/8 th inch travel on a progress
bar.

Mike Brannigan

Re: Vista defrag
"cpu_expert" <cpuexpert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they
> changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of defrag
> (quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone
> else
> feel the same?

Have you actually even looked at the command line options ? (obviously not)
So YES you can specify the drive to be defragged, and yes you can choose
either partial (quick) or full (intensive), plus all the options for verbose
output etc etc

Syntax: defrag <volume> -a [-v]
defrag <volume> [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
defrag -c [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]

Parameters:

Value Description

<volume> Specifies the drive letter or mount point path of the volume
be defragmented or analyzed.

-c Defragments all volumes on this computer.

-a Performs fragmentation analysis only.

-r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to
consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).

-w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all
file
fragments, regardless of their size.

-f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.

-v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
output
is more detailed.

-? Displays this help information.

--

Mike Brannigan

Steve Thackery

Re: Vista defrag
> Yes. Vista's de-frag sucks for the reasons you indicate. I don't know if I
> have time to go for a walk around the block because a progress bar is at
> 50 percent or wait a minute for that last 1/8 th inch travel on a
> progress bar.

This is so weird. What kind of person obsesses about these things? Just
let Vista defrag itself once a week automatically, as it will out of the
box, and find something more fulfilling to do with your time. Like actually
using the computer.

Steve

Rock

Re: Vista defrag
"Steve Thackery" wrote
>> Yes. Vista's de-frag sucks for the reasons you indicate. I don't know if
>> I have time to go for a walk around the block because a progress bar is
>> at 50 percent or wait a minute for that last 1/8 th inch travel on a
>> progress bar.

> This is so weird. What kind of person obsesses about these things? Just
> let Vista defrag itself once a week automatically, as it will out of the
> box, and find something more fulfilling to do with your time. Like
> actually using the computer.

Such heresy. Watching the GUI blocks shake, wiggle and move is mesmerizing.
:-)

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Mark Rae

Re: Vista defrag
"Steve Thackery" <thack@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> What kind of person obsesses about these things?

I think we all know the answer to that one...

--
http://www.markrae.net

DP

Re: Vista defrag

"dev" <dev@null.invalid> wrote in message
> /cpu_expert/ said:
>
>> I just want to say that I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when
>> they
>> changed the defrag program. You can't specify a drive, the type of defrag
>> (quick or intensive), or anything, or even view a progress bar. Anyone
>> else
>> feel the same?

> In Windows Explorer, right-click a drive letter and then click PROPERTIES.
> Click the TOOLS tab and note the choices.

As far as I can tell, that doesn't let you specify the drive to be
defragged. It does them all, even though you got to that point by clicking
on a specific drive.
I use the command prompt to defrag specific drives.