The Value Of Self-Healing

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jon

The Value Of Self-Healing
I was looking through the new options available with the 'fsutil' command in
Vista (as you do), and stumbled across this little chap.

fsutil repair

eg

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil repair query c:
Self healing is enabled for volume c: with flags 0x1.
flags: 1 - enable general repair
8 - warn about potential data loss

Is self-healing an indispensable option to keep enabled, or is there a
performance impact involved? Would there any value in disabling it for a
particular volume (and say replacing it with a traditional scheduled
'chkdsk' check)?

I tried disabling it, and didn't notice any immediate catastrophic effect.

Ran across this article which also provides some background.

Self-Healing NTFS
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Thanks for any thoughts.

--
Jon

Richard Urban

Re: The Value Of Self-Healing
My comment is: Why would one want to disable a function that helps the
system to run in a more reliable condition?

Guess I am a type of person who just doesn't get human nature.

As I have stated, oh so many times, in these newsgroups: The worst enemy of
any running computer is the person at the keyboard! Cause of errors = 99% of
all known problems

We ask people who have a multitude of problems - "What have you done to
alter your system?" They come back with, "I didn't do anything!"

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
>I was looking through the new options available with the 'fsutil' command
>in Vista (as you do), and stumbled across this little chap.
>
> fsutil repair
>
> eg
>
> C:\Windows\system32>fsutil repair query c:
> Self healing is enabled for volume c: with flags 0x1.
> flags: 1 - enable general repair
> 8 - warn about potential data loss
>

> Is self-healing an indispensable option to keep enabled, or is there a
> performance impact involved? Would there any value in disabling it for a
> particular volume (and say replacing it with a traditional scheduled
> 'chkdsk' check)?
>
> I tried disabling it, and didn't notice any immediate catastrophic effect.
>
> Ran across this article which also provides some background.
>
> Self-Healing NTFS
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
>

> Thanks for any thoughts.
>

> --
> Jon

Jon

Re: The Value Of Self-Healing
> My comment is: Why would one want to disable a function that helps the
> system to run in a more reliable condition?

Thanks Richard.

It does seem to be good thing. I've noticed that a boot time chkdsk runs
much much faster with Vista. Whether that's related to this particular
feature, though, I don't know.

> Guess I am a type of person who just doesn't get human nature.
>
> As I have stated, oh so many times, in these newsgroups: The worst enemy
> of any running computer is the person at the keyboard! Cause of errors =
> 99% of all known problems
>
> We ask people who have a multitude of problems - "What have you done to
> alter your system?" They come back with, "I didn't do anything!"

True. Very easy to forget changes that have been made in the past.

I suppose I have a 'need for speed' tendency (of the legal variety) - but
since I've not heard of ,or observed, any major performance hit from having
it enabled, I suspect I'll be leaving it on.

--
Jon

Richard Urban

Re: The Value Of Self-Healing
Do you remember Win9x days. If you just pulled the plug on a running
computer you would cause all sorts of damage, up to and including losing the
operating system. You had to sit through a lengthy scandisk that usually did
nothing but destroy your files.

Pull the plug on a computer with either Windows XP or Vista. I have yet to
see any system damage when this is done by mistake.

--

>> My comment is: Why would one want to disable a function that helps the
>> system to run in a more reliable condition?
>>

> Thanks Richard.
>
> It does seem to be good thing. I've noticed that a boot time chkdsk runs
> much much faster with Vista. Whether that's related to this particular
> feature, though, I don't know.
>

>> Guess I am a type of person who just doesn't get human nature.
>>
>> As I have stated, oh so many times, in these newsgroups: The worst enemy
>> of any running computer is the person at the keyboard! Cause of errors =
>> 99% of all known problems
>>
>> We ask people who have a multitude of problems - "What have you done to
>> alter your system?" They come back with, "I didn't do anything!"
>>

> True. Very easy to forget changes that have been made in the past.
>
> I suppose I have a 'need for speed' tendency (of the legal variety) - but
> since I've not heard of ,or observed, any major performance hit from
> having it enabled, I suspect I'll be leaving it on.
>

> --
> Jon

Jon

Re: The Value Of Self-Healing
True, and progress over the ZX81 where a slight jolt to the machine would
mean complete loss of data, and another 5 minutes loading a 1K program from
a tape recorder. Mind you, you never lost the operating system from that
machine - I'll say that much for it.

--
Jon

> Do you remember Win9x days. If you just pulled the plug on a running
> computer you would cause all sorts of damage, up to and including losing
> the operating system. You had to sit through a lengthy scandisk that
> usually did nothing but destroy your files.
>
> Pull the plug on a computer with either Windows XP or Vista. I have yet to
> see any system damage when this is done by mistake.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> My comment is: Why would one want to disable a function that helps the
>>> system to run in a more reliable condition?
>>>

>> Thanks Richard.
>>
>> It does seem to be good thing. I've noticed that a boot time chkdsk runs
>> much much faster with Vista. Whether that's related to this particular
>> feature, though, I don't know.
>>

>>> Guess I am a type of person who just doesn't get human nature.
>>>
>>> As I have stated, oh so many times, in these newsgroups: The worst enemy
>>> of any running computer is the person at the keyboard! Cause of errors =
>>> 99% of all known problems
>>>
>>> We ask people who have a multitude of problems - "What have you done to
>>> alter your system?" They come back with, "I didn't do anything!"
>>>

>> True. Very easy to forget changes that have been made in the past.
>>
>> I suppose I have a 'need for speed' tendency (of the legal variety) - but
>> since I've not heard of ,or observed, any major performance hit from
>> having it enabled, I suspect I'll be leaving it on.
>>

>> --
>> Jon

R. C. White, MVP

Re: The Value Of Self-Healing
Hi, Jon.

Or for the original TRS-80. ;^} You couldn't lose the operating system
because the whole thing (plus BASIC) was in the ROM (4 KB?). And all
programs were safe on their music cassettes - unless they got too close to a
magnet - or the tape drive ate them.

But, Vista IS an improvement over that. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> True, and progress over the ZX81 where a slight jolt to the machine would
> mean complete loss of data, and another 5 minutes loading a 1K program
> from a tape recorder. Mind you, you never lost the operating system from
> that machine - I'll say that much for it.
>
> --
> Jon

>> Do you remember Win9x days. If you just pulled the plug on a running
>> computer you would cause all sorts of damage, up to and including losing
>> the operating system. You had to sit through a lengthy scandisk that
>> usually did nothing but destroy your files.
>>
>> Pull the plug on a computer with either Windows XP or Vista. I have yet
>> to see any system damage when this is done by mistake.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
>>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Thanks Richard.
>>>
>>> It does seem to be good thing. I've noticed that a boot time chkdsk runs
>>> much much faster with Vista. Whether that's related to this particular
>>> feature, though, I don't know.

>>> True. Very easy to forget changes that have been made in the past.
>>>
>>> I suppose I have a 'need for speed' tendency (of the legal variety) -
>>> but since I've not heard of ,or observed, any major performance hit from
>>> having it enabled, I suspect I'll be leaving it on.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jon

Jon

Re: The Value Of Self-Healing
Thanks RC. Sounds similar.

Funnily enough it struck me after I'd posted that, that in some ways the
current trend is back towards the old fixed rom once again - thinking of the
desire to 'lock down the kernel', the climate of paranoia over system
security etc . After all, despite its limitations, it was *the* completely
secure operating system.

Can't really see things ever regressing completely back to the untweakable
rom, which would be pretty boring to put it mildly, but who knows.

--
Jon