Change Boot setting for Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Davide

Change Boot setting for Vista
Hi, my actual config is the following:

HD 1, C:, i got WinXP SP2. I have installed vista from XP into HD 2, G:

Now, when i turn on the PC i can choose between Earlier OS and Windows
VISTA. Now that Vista is my definitive OS i would like to format HD1 with XP
and keep only HD2 with Vista. The problem is that if i format HD1 i will
lose my boot info and VISTA won't start anymore. Is there a way to "move"
the boot info from HD1 to HD2?

Chad Harris

Re: Change Boot setting for Vista
Several but easiet is:

Click start, type MSCONFIG and hit <enter>. Click 'continue' when prompted.
Go to the boot tab, click on the listing for the former operating system and
then delete. Confirm and apply/ok. Once it is the only OS option, the system
should no longer pause on the boot selection menu.

These are also helpful apps to have if you run into other problems.

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
"Advanced settings include backing up and exporting your boot loader
configuration, making advanced "functional" changes like adding an operating
system to the boot menu..."
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
"EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just want to add an
entry to your old XP partition ..."

CH

news:RbOdnQslQfXjGFrYnZ2dnUVZ8tKsnZ2d@kpnqwest.it. ..

"Chad Harris" <fixvistabugsnow.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Several but easiet is:
>
> Click start, type MSCONFIG and hit <enter>. Click 'continue' when
> prompted.
> Go to the boot tab, click on the listing for the former operating system
> and
> then delete. Confirm and apply/ok. Once it is the only OS option, the
> system
> should no longer pause on the boot selection menu.

Ok, but boot information where are? In HD1 or HD2? Because maybe that the
way you suggest me modify the boot info of HD1 and when i go formatting this
one, VISTA won't boot up anymore...

> These are also helpful apps to have if you run into other problems.
>
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
> "Advanced settings include backing up and exporting your boot loader
> configuration, making advanced "functional" changes like adding an
> operating
> system to the boot menu..."
> http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
> "EasyBCD is geared for users of all kinds. Whether you just want to add an
> entry to your old XP partition ..."

i'll give a try..

thecreator

Re: Change Boot setting for Vista
Hi Davide,

No. Because you will lose the ability to start any operating system,
this way.

But, you can go into your Computer Bios and change the Boot Order to
boot to the second Hard Drive, instead of the first Hard Drive, with booting
to the CD or DVD drive first.

Now, boot from the Windows Vista DVD and run a Repair option on the
operating system. This also repairs the Boot.

Once you are booted into Windows Vista, reformat HD1 with XP, after
moving your Documents, Favorites, E-mails and AddressBook onto the HD2 and
do the format from Vista.

But for clarification, the Hard Drives are known as HD0 and HD1,
especially in the Computer Bios.

--
thecreator