LiveKernelEvent

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

krzychu

LiveKernelEvent
I have encounter a problem,
My video card :Nvidia geforce go 6100 and the driver version 7.15.10.9755
the error Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20070511-1550.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 931EA8A0
BCP2: 88DC5E40
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 04d29997-5515-4ac3-b109-ec07437a2b8f
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20070501-2143.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 84BA2F38
BCP2: 885C5E40
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: f1b74a74-e8ee-4410-8245-3e13ab8e067d

Homer Schwartz

Re: LiveKernelEvent
Have you tried a Google Search and also have you tried to update the drivers
to the latest?

"krzychu" <krzychu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have encounter a problem,
> My video card :Nvidia geforce go 6100 and the driver version 7.15.10.9755
> the error Description
> A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working
> correctly.
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 2057
>
> Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be
> available)
> WD-20070511-1550.dmp
> sysdata.xml
> Version.txt
>
> Extra information about the problem
> BCCode: 117
> BCP1: 931EA8A0
> BCP2: 88DC5E40
> BCP3: 00000000
> BCP4: 00000000
> OS Version: 6_0_6000
> Service Pack: 0_0
> Product: 768_1
> Server information: 04d29997-5515-4ac3-b109-ec07437a2b8f
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
> Locale ID: 2057
>
> Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be
> available)
> WD-20070501-2143.dmp
> sysdata.xml
> Version.txt
>
> Extra information about the problem
> BCCode: 117
> BCP1: 84BA2F38
> BCP2: 885C5E40
> BCP3: 00000000
> BCP4: 00000000
> OS Version: 6_0_6000
> Service Pack: 0_0
> Product: 768_1
> Server information: f1b74a74-e8ee-4410-8245-3e13ab8e067d

supermembrax is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I've had the same issue appearing suddenly on a Dell M1330 with a NVidia GeForce 8400M GS, after 5 months of use : The computer would freeze randomly (usually after some minutes, depending on the applications open), then the screen turned black, and vertical lines would started appearing, progressively filling the screen with white. It often happened also when rebooting the machine afterwards, and sometimes even the BIOS screen would appear wrong (e.g. some blue patterns instead of the usual black background).

THIS IS MOST LIKELY *NOT* A DRIVER PROBLEM, BUT A HARDWARE PROBLEM INSTEAD.
(the messages from people having reinstalled windows or changed drivers without success should confirm this if there is any doubt left).

I've called the Dell support, and we came to the conclusion that it was NOT a driver problem, since I've had issues when running on the VGA driver too (although without freezing the machine), and the BIOS screen corruption also indicated that windows wasn't in cause.

So they started by replacing the motherboard, since it has the gfx card embedded in it. Unfortunately, this didn't change a thing, so the gfx card was out of cause too. Next thing, we changed the RAM modules and the heatsink, and there bingo ! No more freezes and weird screens after that. I couldn't say for sure which one was the culprit, it could be the memory that took a hit (that's rather common after all) or the heatsink that didn't work as good anymore, or even a combination of the two.

Anyway, since I haven't found any information myself about this problem when I was googling for it, I thought this could be useful to others. First start by checking your gfx card and the heatsink, it's possibly just a overheating problem. If you have shared memory, try changing the RAM modules if you have any at hand. Finally, if your computer is still under warranty, make sure to get the support to replace the gfx card or the RAM if you have any reasonable doubt they're in cause (and if you have a good support...).

Hope this helps, good luck !

nb1: Oddly enough, I did run all the diagnostics tools provided by Dell, including a 2-hour full memory test that passed. So no matter what the tests tell you, they're not 100% reliable.
nb2: one tips: if you need to use your machine while waiting for the support to replace the hardware, try switching to the standard VGA driver or run in failsafe mode. This way the graphics engine is greatly limited (no more Aero, less memory, etc.) but then it puts less strain on the machine and makes it rather stable. That's how I've done while waiting for the replacement pieces, as it's my work laptop. I did see some strange patterns on the screen occasionally, but no system freeze at least.
rastaroofus

Re: LiveKernelEvent

Wow, my XPS M1330 just started doing this yesterday, and I couldn't
figure out what the problem is. However, it's ok today.. :-S

--
rastaroofus
Sparks

Re: LiveKernelEvent
I am so glad you posted this. Last week my Dell M1330 (after working fine for
6 months) started to freeze randomly, then the screen goes black,. Once this
happened, I would have to press the power button to first turn the machine
off, wait then press the power button to turn the machine on. However,
instead of re-booting the laptop screen would put of vertical lines of all
different colors and a smudge pattern across the screen. One out of ten times
the computer would manage to re-boot. The other nine times, I would have to
power down, and try again, often 15 times in a row before the machine would
boot up VISTA.

After spending considerable time on the events log (when the computer was
running) I noticed an error nvlddmkm - display driver stopped responding.

I spent a day on the phone with Dell and they assured me it was a software
problem and I would have to wait till Microsoft put out a fix. After going
over all the diagnostics tests, even ran the long 2 hour full test, they all
passed. The gfx card has never installed properly on the laptop, and when I
try to install the latest driver, I get a warning saying, "VISTA has not been
detected, driver will not install". I get this error message from both the
Dell driver downloads and the NVidia driver downloads. This computer only
runs VISTA.

Since Dell assured me that my problems were software issues, I made sure all
my driver updates and VISTA updates were current from the Dell website and
Microsoft website, and any other update that I could see necessary, only the
NVidia driver and the BIOS flash (too scared to do in case the computer
freezes while doing it) were done. This did NOT fix anything.

I have gone through and uninstalled drivers, in an attempt to get back to
the date where the computer was working, even though the log indicated no
updates had happened since the first crash. This did NOT change anything.

If my problems are due to overheating, how do I know if it has damaged the
computer?
How do I convince Dell that this is a hardware problem (since it passed all
the hardware tests) and not a driver problem (if it is)?

Dell XPS M1330
VISTA Home Premium
Intel(R) Core 2Duo Processor T7100
NVidia 8400M GS
32-bit
4GB (2x2048MB) 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

"supermembrax" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had the same issue appearing suddenly on a Dell M1330 with a
> NVidia GeForce 8400M GS, after 5 months of use : The computer would
> freeze randomly (usually after some minutes, depending on the
> applications open), then the screen turned black, and vertical lines
> would started appearing, progressively filling the screen with white. It
> often happened also when rebooting the machine afterwards, and sometimes
> even the BIOS screen would appear wrong (e.g. some blue patterns instead
> of the usual black background).
>
> THIS IS MOST LIKELY *NOT* A DRIVER PROBLEM, BUT A HARDWARE PROBLEM
> INSTEAD.
> (the messages from people having reinstalled windows or changed drivers
> without success should confirm this if there is any doubt left).
>
> I've called the Dell support, and we came to the conclusion that it was
> NOT a driver problem, since I've had issues when running on the VGA
> driver too (although without freezing the machine), and the BIOS screen
> corruption also indicated that windows wasn't in cause.
>
> So they started by replacing the motherboard, since it has the gfx card
> embedded in it. Unfortunately, this didn't change a thing, so the gfx
> card was out of cause too. Next thing, we changed the RAM modules and
> the heatsink, and there bingo ! No more freezes and weird screens after
> that. I couldn't say for sure which one was the culprit, it could be the
> memory that took a hit (that's rather common after all) or the heatsink
> that didn't work as good anymore, or even a combination of the two.
>
> Anyway, since I haven't found any information myself about this problem
> when I was googling for it, I thought this could be useful to others.
> First start by checking your gfx card and the heatsink, it's possibly
> just a overheating problem. If you have shared memory, try changing the
> RAM modules if you have any at hand. Finally, if your computer is still
> under warranty, make sure to get the support to replace the gfx card or
> the RAM if you have any reasonable doubt they're in cause (and if you
> have a good support...).
>
> Hope this helps, good luck !
>
> nb1: Oddly enough, I did run all the diagnostics tools provided by
> Dell, including a 2-hour full memory test that passed. So no matter what
> the tests tell you, they're not 100% reliable.
> nb2: one tips: if you need to use your machine while waiting for the
> support to replace the hardware, try switching to the standard VGA
> driver or run in failsafe mode. This way the graphics engine is greatly
> limited (no more Aero, less memory, etc.) but then it puts less strain
> on the machine and makes it rather stable. That's how I've done while
> waiting for the replacement pieces, as it's my work laptop. I did see
> some strange patterns on the screen occasionally, but no system freeze
> at least.
>

> --
> supermembrax

flakem

Re: LiveKernelEvent

I have the same problem. I have built my dream computer
4GB Corsair ram
3.5 Tb in Seagate hard-drives (swapped out 2 ED Raptors I had in
Visontek ATI Radeon 3870 X2
Soundblaster X-fi sound card
water-cooled
Etc.
Yet I still have this problem. Works worse than my other computer,
which was good but no in comparison. I thought it was just Call of Duty
not liking my ATI card, but I have this problem with other games. My XP
Pro machine has no such problems. Can anybody please help. RAM tested
individually.

Vista says:
Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working
correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20080830-2126.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem,
opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 885A6510
BCP2: 8E62B49E
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

--
flakem
flakem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/flakem.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Peter Foldes

Re: LiveKernelEvent
flakem

This issue is a hardware issue and most likely it is your Corsair RAM modules that are causing it. Replace your Corsair ram modules with some others that you have hanging around or borrow other ones and test. You will find that the issue will be gone completely or changed. 4GB is good but try 2 and see if it will take also

--
Peter

"flakem" <flakem.3f0mfc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:flakem.3f0mfc@DoNotSpam.com...

> I have the same problem. I have built my dream computer
> 4GB Corsair ram
> 3.5 Tb in Seagate hard-drives (swapped out 2 ED Raptors I had in
> Visontek ATI Radeon 3870 X2
> Soundblaster X-fi sound card
> water-cooled
> Etc.
> Yet I still have this problem. Works worse than my other computer,
> which was good but no in comparison. I thought it was just Call of Duty
> not liking my ATI card, but I have this problem with other games. My XP
> Pro machine has no such problems. Can anybody please help. RAM tested
> individually.
>

> Vista says:
> Description
> A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working
> correctly.
>
> Problem signature
> Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> Files that help describe the problem
> WD-20080830-2126.dmp
> sysdata.xml
> Version.txt
>
> View a temporary copy of these files
> Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem,
> opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.
>
> Extra information about the problem
> BCCode: 117
> BCP1: 885A6510
> BCP2: 8E62B49E
> BCP3: 00000000
> BCP4: 00000000
> OS Version: 6_0_6001
> Service Pack: 1_0
> Product: 256_1
>

> --
> flakem
> flakem's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/flakem.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/753929.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

techgirly

Re: LiveKernelEvent

I have the same problem. The problem started when I installed Vista on
it. I always had Xp on it cause I only had 1gb ddr2 ram, but I upgraded
it to 4gb and is suddenly didn't work anymore. So I put in 2.5gb and
installed vista. Then I had put in the other stick and it worked fine,
up till now.
It's started to freez up when I was playing games.(and not games with
the highest specifications) It said my graphics card did not work
properly, so I tried to reinstall the driver, but then, the notebook
didn't even start anymore.
It did not get any further than the microsoft loading bar, after that
the screen turend black. It did not run my os(maybe it did but I
couldn't see it)
I couldn't even format cause when I put in the vista cdrom it also did
not get further than the loading bar. So I did a full system whipe. But
that still didn't help. So I put in 2.5gb again and then it did start
the setup of vista. But it still says that my graphics card was not
working properly and it was talking about the livekernelevent.
I have one of those graphics cards that "steals" from your ram. But I
only have a 32 bit os. So that doesn't support the whole 4gb. Just
around 3.5gb.(I do not know the exact number) But my question is: could
it be that my graphics card is trying to "steal" from the part that's
not being used?
Please don't start calling me names like idiot when I'm totally
wrong^^
It was just a theory, and if somebody knows the answer, please post a
reply.
Thanks in advance.
Diana

--