D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Dave English

D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted
I saw a friends newly installed Vista machine yesterday.

He has the problem that when opening any CD it fails to auto-run.

Instead it produces a dialog box saying "D:\ Application not found".

|t is the same for any CD.

A quick Google turned up one user on a Forum somewhere with the same
problem, but no solution.

It is not the easiest thing to Google for specifically
--
Dave English Senior Software & Systems Engineer
Internet Platform Development, Thus plc
Rick Rogers

Re: D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted
Hi Dave,

Did you check to see what the autoplay settings were set for? Sounds like
it's looking for some application that was originally run from a disk.

If you browse to the setup file on the CD and double click, does it run or
produce the same error? The latter may indicate an issue with the .exe file
association, while the former would indicate a problem with autoplay
function.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

In message <uQEFWaRSHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Rick Rogers
<rick@mvps.org> writes
>Hi Dave,
>
>Did you check to see what the autoplay settings were set for? Sounds
>like it's looking for some application that was originally run from a
>disk.
>
>If you browse to the setup file on the CD and double click, does it run
>or produce the same error? The latter may indicate an issue with the
>.exe file association, while the former would indicate a problem with
>autoplay function.

Thanks, I will look at both. I think that the former is more likely, it
hadn't occurred to me that Autoplay would do something other than obey
the autorun.inf .

Regards
--
Dave English Senior Software & Systems Engineer
Internet Platform Development, Thus plc
alfields

Re: D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted

I am having the same problem. Were you able to solve it, and if so,
how?

Thanks

--
alfields
MadCowMeat

Re: D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted

I'm also having the same problem. But when I try and open the cd, my dvd
player asks me to insert a cd. Drivers are updated and device manager
says everything is working properly. I think it might be a registry
error but i have no idea how to fix that. Any help would be much
appreciated.

--
MadCowMeat
MadCowMeat's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=52877

http://forums.techarena.in

chocolatechipmuffin

Re: D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted

Please someone!
I have some game CDs that used to work but now it does the "D://
Application not found!" error!
DVDs and some other games still work and these ones used to work too
but now just the error.
Please someone what could be the cause of this and how can I fix it?

--
chocolatechipmuffin
chocolatechipmuffin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/c...chipmuffin.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TomSmeagol

Re: D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted

Hi! I was having the same problem with my CD/DVD combo drive, but I
fixed it! Here's what I did:

1) I placed the disc that had been in the drive PRIOR to the one that I
first got the error message with in the drive.

2) I closed the autoplay window without selecting an autoplay option.

3) I opened My Computer.

4) I double-clicked on the CD/DVD drive.

5) A window appeared, asking me to run the autoplay option for that
disc. I chose to run it.

6) I cancelled out of that setup program to return to Windows.

I put another disc in the drive, and everything worked again.

Don't know if this fix will work for any one else, but since no one
else has found a solution, I thought I'd share mine. Cheers!

--
TomSmeagol
nitinagarwal1988

Re: D:\ Application not found for and CD inserted
Its simplest trick that helps to get rid of such problem as well as
initialize drive’s (including hard drives and DVD drives) context menu to
default.

1. Run regedit (Registry Editor)
2. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerMountPoints2
3. Remove or delete MountPoint2 key completely and close Registry Editor.
4. Logoff or restart your PC to take effect.
Now check n double click on your DVD drives. Happy Windows computing.

"TomSmeagol" wrote:

> Hi! I was having the same problem with my CD/DVD combo drive, but I
> fixed it! Here's what I did:
>
> 1) I placed the disc that had been in the drive PRIOR to the one that I
> first got the error message with in the drive.
>
> 2) I closed the autoplay window without selecting an autoplay option.
>
> 3) I opened My Computer.
>
> 4) I double-clicked on the CD/DVD drive.
>
> 5) A window appeared, asking me to run the autoplay option for that
> disc. I chose to run it.
>
> 6) I cancelled out of that setup program to return to Windows.
>
> I put another disc in the drive, and everything worked again.
>
> Don't know if this fix will work for any one else, but since no one
> else has found a solution, I thought I'd share mine. Cheers!
>

> --
> TomSmeagol

sportygrly

--
sportygrly
tulipcorp

nitinagarwal1988;4241200 Wrote:
> Its simplest trick that helps to get rid of such problem as well as
> initialize drive’s (including hard drives and DVD drives) context
> menu to
> default.
>
> 1. Run regedit (Registry Editor)
> 2. Navigate to:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerMountPoints2
> 3. Remove or delete MountPoint2 key completely and close Registry
> Editor.
> 4. Logoff or restart your PC to take effect.
> Now check n double click on your DVD drives. Happy Windows computing.

Thanks Dave,
I had this problem on my E: HDD drive,
works like charm

--