how to turn off narrator?? help!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Drnick

how to turn off narrator?? help!
a customer of mine has a vista laptop (ultimate) and the narrator
keeps starting itself on every reboot, I can't for the life of me
figure out how to stop it form starting, or how to uninstall the damn
thing. anyone know how to turn this off?

Synapse Syndrome

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!
"Drnick" <Drnick5@cox.net> wrote in message
news:1179949081.409495.271580@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>a customer of mine has a vista laptop (ultimate) and the narrator
> keeps starting itself on every reboot, I can't for the life of me
> figure out how to stop it form starting, or how to uninstall the damn
> thing. anyone know how to turn this off?

Do you get that on the log-in screen? I get that sometimes.

What I do when that happens is to press the button in the bottom left corner
and select the bottom item, and press OK. Then I press the button again and
deselect the item and press OK. Seems to work fine after that, and you can
type the password without the narrator speaking again.

I put it down to some weird bug.

ss.

Michael Solomon

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!

"Drnick" <Drnick5@cox.net> wrote in message
news:1179949081.409495.271580@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>a customer of mine has a vista laptop (ultimate) and the narrator
> keeps starting itself on every reboot, I can't for the life of me
> figure out how to stop it form starting, or how to uninstall the damn
> thing. anyone know how to turn this off?

Does the customer happen to have a version of MS Office installed that by
default installed the Office Toolbar. I believe Office XP was the last
version of Office that included it and installed by default. If yes, you
can turn off Narrator in the Office Toolbar.
--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

Thomas Olsen [MSFT]

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!
Hello Drnick,

Narrator might be set to automatically start on the logon page. If you don't
need Narrator at the logon page, here is something you can try: go to
Start -> Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center, and then,
in the left pane, click Change Aadministrative settings. Under System
Administrator settings, clear the Apply all settings to the logon desktop
checkbox, and then click Save.

I hope this helps you with your problem.

Rosie

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!
press the windows key and U ,, it will pop up ease of access .. then click
on where it says use the computer without a display . you can turn off the
narroator in there ..

"Drnick" <Drnick5@cox.net> wrote in message
news:1179949081.409495.271580@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
>a customer of mine has a vista laptop (ultimate) and the narrator
> keeps starting itself on every reboot, I can't for the life of me
> figure out how to stop it form starting, or how to uninstall the damn
> thing. anyone know how to turn this off?

phil777

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!
thanks ever so much rosie!!!!!!!!!

"Rosie" wrote:

> press the windows key and U ,, it will pop up ease of access .. then click
> on where it says use the computer without a display . you can turn off the
> narroator in there ..
>

> "Drnick" <Drnick5@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:1179949081.409495.271580@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> >a customer of mine has a vista laptop (ultimate) and the narrator
> > keeps starting itself on every reboot, I can't for the life of me
> > figure out how to stop it form starting, or how to uninstall the damn
> > thing. anyone know how to turn this off?

blake55033

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!

Thanks Phil777, Worked like a charm.

--
blake55033
berndog24

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!

That doesn't work on mine. None of the above does. The box in
ease of access is already unchecked.

--
berndog24
Michael

"berndog24" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> That doesn't work on mine. None of the above does. The box in
> ease of access is already unchecked.
>

> --
> berndog24

Hey, dogface! Who/what are you replying to? "Confused" doesn't begin to
describe your problems!
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Stan Starinski

Re: how to turn off narrator?? help!
Hi Bern,

This is a well-documeted issue in Google archives. Please Google for "turn
off Windows narrator", the answers come up easily.

There's one setting which I forgot where, that turns it off and it';s not
where you mentioned it.
It can & should be off, don't worry, just Google.