Svchost.exe using a lot of memory

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

needinghelp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Svchost.exe using a lot of memory
I have two instances of Svchost.exe running a lot of memory. One instance is running at over 200,000 and one running at over 100,000. I have been experiencing the BSOD multiple times a day due to physical memory dumps and I'm pretty sure this is the cause. I was wondering if any of you experienced users can look at the list below and tell me if anything stands out.

I checked what services were running under each svchost.exe and this is what I found.

200,000 services:

wuauserv
WinMgmt
Themes
ShellHWDetection
SENS
Seclogon
Schedule
RasMan
ProfSvc
MMCSS
LanmanServer
iphlpsvc
IKEEXT
EapHost
Browser
BITS
AeLookupSvc

100,000 services:

wudfsvc
WPDBusEnum
Wlansvc
WdiSystemHost
UxSms
TrkWks
TabletInputService
SysMain
PcaSvc
Netman
EMDMgmt
AudioEndpointBuilder

Thanks a ton!

Re: Svchost.exe using a lot of memory
"needinghelp" <needinghelp.4flgg4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:needinghelp.4flgg4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I have two instances of Svchost.exe running a lot of memory. One
> instance is running at over 200,000 and one running at over 100,000. I
> have been experiencing the BSOD multiple times a day due to physical
> memory dumps and I'm pretty sure this is the cause. I was wondering if
> any of you experienced users can look at the list below and tell me if
> anything stands out.

200,000 and 100,000 of what unit?

Lets's see how many instances I have running on my 64-bit desktop
with 8 GB memory:

svchost.exe SYSTEM 268 MB
svchost.exe SYSTEM 16 MB
svchost.exe NETWORK 7 MB
svchost.exe LOCAL 8 MB
svchost.exe LOCAL 6 MB
svchost.exe LOCAL 5 MB
svchost.exe NETWORK 3 MB
svchost.exe LOCAL 200 KB
svchost.exe SYSTEM 3 MB
svchost.exe SYSTEM 1 MB
svchost.exe SYSTEM 200 KB
svchost.exe NETWORK 200 KB

In other words, having more than one instance of svchost.exe
running at once is normal if you're using enough system services at
once. Many of these instances aren't shown unless you tell
Windows Task Manager to show processes from all users.

64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

How much physical memory does your machine have (RAM
only; exclude the hard drive)? I'd consider your problem a
possible sign that you don't have enough physical memory to
run whatever you're trying to run, and make it run properly.

The Performance tab of Windows Task Manager has a
button that will start the Resource Monitor if you have it
installed, and probably let you download it it it's not already
installed. That program is good for digging out more information
about resource use, especially if you're able to identify which
task to look for its resource use.

I'm having a number of problems with Windows Mail, Windows
Live Mail, and the backup program, but not BSODs.

I suspect that some of my problems are due to not having
enough information about the registry values that control the
Vista SuperFetch feature to correct problems related to that
feature.

Robert Miles