Files and folders missing from desktop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

LT

Files and folders missing from desktop
Hi everyone,

I have Vista Home Edition and recently saw most of my desktop folders and
files disappear. I searched the recycle bin, checked hidden files, did a
system restore to the previous day, and installed PC Tool's "File Recover"
program and nothing helped.

Before using the program, when I searched for a particular file, the error
message said something like "cannot find source of file or it has been moved
to another location."

Ran program and it found over 16,000 deleted files. Was able to restore
some of the lost files; however, most remain too corrupted to open. Could
this be a registry problem?

Is there anything else I could do? Is there a simpler solution to find my
missing desktop folders and files?

Thanks,

Rick

PS.
when ever I reboot the computer files and folders quickly appear, and then
disappear. I went to "Search" and searched for one of my folders that used
to be on the desktop and it shows to be located there but I can't see it.
I'd greatly appreciate if someone can help me restore these folders as the
majority we lost were my mom's.
TIA

Derek Sowa

Re: Files and folders missing from desktop
Seems you may have hidden your files unintentionally. Try right
clicking on your screen, select view and make sure to select show
desktop icons. Hope this helps!

Derek

On 8/8/2010 1:43 PM, LT wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have Vista Home Edition and recently saw most of my desktop folders and
> files disappear. I searched the recycle bin, checked hidden files, did a
> system restore to the previous day, and installed PC Tool's "File Recover"
> program and nothing helped.
>
> Before using the program, when I searched for a particular file, the error
> message said something like "cannot find source of file or it has been moved
> to another location."
>
> Ran program and it found over 16,000 deleted files. Was able to restore
> some of the lost files; however, most remain too corrupted to open. Could
> this be a registry problem?
>
> Is there anything else I could do? Is there a simpler solution to find my
> missing desktop folders and files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>
> PS.
> when ever I reboot the computer files and folders quickly appear, and then
> disappear. I went to "Search" and searched for one of my folders that used
> to be on the desktop and it shows to be located there but I can't see it.
> I'd greatly appreciate if someone can help me restore these folders as the
> majority we lost were my mom's.
> TIA

Nil

Re: Files and folders missing from desktop
On 08 Aug 2010, "LT" <mltagg@yahoo.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

> Ran program and it found over 16,000 deleted files. Was able to
> restore some of the lost files; however, most remain too corrupted
> to open. Could this be a registry problem?

Almost certainly not.

> Is there anything else I could do? Is there a simpler solution to
> find my missing desktop folders and files?

Back everything up until you find the problem.

Do a thorough virus/malware scan.

Do a disk check to see if you have a corrupt hard disk.
LT

Re: Files and folders missing from desktop
Thank you for trying to help me. I already did what you said and still my
files and folders don't show on the desktop. All the other icons like the
recycle bin, my Documents etc. are there, but not the folders or files I
created and saved on the desktop. Thanks again
Rick

"Derek Sowa" <yzchoice@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Seems you may have hidden your files unintentionally. Try right clicking
> on your screen, select view and make sure to select show desktop icons.
> Hope this helps!
>
> Derek
>
> On 8/8/2010 1:43 PM, LT wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have Vista Home Edition and recently saw most of my desktop folders and
>> files disappear. I searched the recycle bin, checked hidden files, did a
>> system restore to the previous day, and installed PC Tool's "File
>> Recover"
>> program and nothing helped.
>>
>> Before using the program, when I searched for a particular file, the
>> error
>> message said something like "cannot find source of file or it has been
>> moved
>> to another location."
>>
>> Ran program and it found over 16,000 deleted files. Was able to restore
>> some of the lost files; however, most remain too corrupted to open. Could
>> this be a registry problem?
>>
>> Is there anything else I could do? Is there a simpler solution to find
>> my
>> missing desktop folders and files?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> PS.
>> when ever I reboot the computer files and folders quickly appear, and
>> then
>> disappear. I went to "Search" and searched for one of my folders that
>> used
>> to be on the desktop and it shows to be located there but I can't see it.
>> I'd greatly appreciate if someone can help me restore these folders as
>> the
>> majority we lost were my mom's.
>> TIA

LT

Re: Files and folders missing from desktop
Hello Nil
I tried what you said and still my files and folders are gone. I hope
someone else can find an answer to this problem. Thank again
Rick
"Nil" <rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
> On 08 Aug 2010, "LT" <mltagg@yahoo.com> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
>
>> Ran program and it found over 16,000 deleted files. Was able to
>> restore some of the lost files; however, most remain too corrupted
>> to open. Could this be a registry problem?

> Almost certainly not.
>
>> Is there anything else I could do? Is there a simpler solution to
>> find my missing desktop folders and files?

> Back everything up until you find the problem.
>
> Do a thorough virus/malware scan.
>
> Do a disk check to see if you have a corrupt hard disk.

matt steingart

Re: Files and folders missing from desktop
Hi, I am having the same problem, my folders disappeared from my desktop. It
was all my children's photos and home movies. Did you find a solution? If so,
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you
Matt

"LT" wrote:

> Hello Nil
> I tried what you said and still my files and folders are gone. I hope
> someone else can find an answer to this problem. Thank again
> Rick
> "Nil" <rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
> > On 08 Aug 2010, "LT" <mltagg@yahoo.com> wrote in
> > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:
> >
> >> Ran program and it found over 16,000 deleted files. Was able to
> >> restore some of the lost files; however, most remain too corrupted
> >> to open. Could this be a registry problem?

> > Almost certainly not.
> >
> >> Is there anything else I could do? Is there a simpler solution to
> >> find my missing desktop folders and files?

> > Back everything up until you find the problem.
> >
> > Do a thorough virus/malware scan.
> >
> > Do a disk check to see if you have a corrupt hard disk.

> .

LT

Re: Files and folders missing from desktop
Hello Matt
I haven't found a solution yet. The files and folder seem to be on the
desktop but they are invisible, only shortcuts and other desktop icons can
be viewed on the desktop. I'm still waiting for someone to help me out solve
this problem.
If you find a solution please post it in here
have a good day
LT
"matt steingart" <matt steingart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am having the same problem, my folders disappeared from my desktop.
> It
> was all my children's photos and home movies. Did you find a solution? If
> so,
> I would really appreciate any help.
> Thank you
> Matt
>

> "LT" wrote:
>
>> Hello Nil
>> I tried what you said and still my files and folders are gone. I hope
>> someone else can find an answer to this problem. Thank again
>> Rick
>> "Nil" <rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
>> > On 08 Aug 2010, "LT" <mltagg@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> > microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

>> > Almost certainly not.

>> > Back everything up until you find the problem.
>> >
>> > Do a thorough virus/malware scan.
>> >
>> > Do a disk check to see if you have a corrupt hard disk.

>> .

Dave-UK

"LT" <mltagg@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OwH3R0SQLHA.2104@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hello Matt
> I haven't found a solution yet. The files and folder seem to be on the
> desktop but they are invisible, only shortcuts and other desktop icons can
> be viewed on the desktop. I'm still waiting for someone to help me out solve
> this problem.
> If you find a solution please post it in here
> have a good day
> LT

A couple of ideas you could try, first do a search with Agent Ransack.
This will give you a search result that you can rely on to be accurate.
http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?...sack&page=home

Also you could try booting from a live linux cd or a rescue cd and see if
you can locate and save your missing files.