Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

darrengibs@googlemail.com

Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista
Hi, I'm having a few annoying problems with IE& on Vista, and I
wondered if there was a way to reinstall the IE7 components.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium edition (fully patched) and I
have a number of issues that have existed possibly since the machine
was built - i.e. I'm not sure it ever worked!

The problems include:
1. The Search tool bar doe not work, I can type in it - but
pressing enter, or the search icon does nothing
2. The drop-down list of "back history" does not appear ... the
back button functions fine, but the drop down does not work
3. Most annoying of all - downloads, or new windows that are
invoked via script do not work, there are two different versions of
this fault:
a) the window will open and do nothing, but you can "stop"
the page and press refresh -- and then it works fine.
b) if the window is a pop-up the URL is not populated, and
there is no way to stop / refresh ... in this case I have found no
work around (other than firefox).

The problem also exists in the "no add-ons" version - but I'm not a
fan of add-ons anyway, so I only run Google toolbar.

Can anyone help?

Darren

Tiberius

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista
get this: in order to repair ie7 on vista you have to repair the whole OS.

Smart thinking from MS right?

try the shortcut that launches IE7 with no plug-ins (add-ons)
that you will find in the start menu as below:

Start> All programs> accessories> system tools>
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

see if that lets Ie7 work...

I would suggest you also downloading some antispyware like spybot search and
destroy
and adaware (search for them both on www.download.com they are free)
as well as doing a scan with windows defender.

tell me if any of this helps

<darrengibs@googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:1179259065.093191.245970@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi, I'm having a few annoying problems with IE& on Vista, and I
> wondered if there was a way to reinstall the IE7 components.
>
> I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium edition (fully patched) and I
> have a number of issues that have existed possibly since the machine
> was built - i.e. I'm not sure it ever worked!
>
> The problems include:
> 1. The Search tool bar doe not work, I can type in it - but
> pressing enter, or the search icon does nothing
> 2. The drop-down list of "back history" does not appear ... the
> back button functions fine, but the drop down does not work
> 3. Most annoying of all - downloads, or new windows that are
> invoked via script do not work, there are two different versions of
> this fault:
> a) the window will open and do nothing, but you can "stop"
> the page and press refresh -- and then it works fine.
> b) if the window is a pop-up the URL is not populated, and
> there is no way to stop / refresh ... in this case I have found no
> work around (other than firefox).
>
> The problem also exists in the "no add-ons" version - but I'm not a
> fan of add-ons anyway, so I only run Google toolbar.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Darren

nizan

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista

I know some of you won't agree..but why don't you use 'Firefox'
(http://www.windvis.com/firefox-review)? It's more safe and more
stable.

I had a lot of issues with IE in the past and even though I talked to
the Microsoft Support guys (which of course charged me for every
ticket), I had to reformat my computer every single time.

--
nizan
Tiberius

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista
I use avantbrowser from www.avantbrowser.com and firefox

avant is a shell for the ie engine... and has a far more usable interface
than the stupid one they
gave IE7 that is a peice of TRASH!!!!

"nizan" <webmaster@windvis.com> wrote in message

> I know some of you won't agree..but why don't you use 'Firefox'
> (http://www.windvis.com/firefox-review)? It's more safe and more
> stable.
>
> I had a lot of issues with IE in the past and even though I talked to
> the Microsoft Support guys (which of course charged me for every
> ticket), I had to reformat my computer every single time.
>

> --
> nizan

CB

RE: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista

"darrengibs@googlemail.com" wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a few annoying problems with IE& on Vista, and I
> wondered if there was a way to reinstall the IE7 components.
>
> I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium edition (fully patched) and I
> have a number of issues that have existed possibly since the machine
> was built - i.e. I'm not sure it ever worked!
>
> The problems include:
> 1. The Search tool bar doe not work, I can type in it - but
> pressing enter, or the search icon does nothing
> 2. The drop-down list of "back history" does not appear ... the
> back button functions fine, but the drop down does not work
> 3. Most annoying of all - downloads, or new windows that are
> invoked via script do not work, there are two different versions of
> this fault:
> a) the window will open and do nothing, but you can "stop"
> the page and press refresh -- and then it works fine.
> b) if the window is a pop-up the URL is not populated, and
> there is no way to stop / refresh ... in this case I have found no
> work around (other than firefox).
>
> The problem also exists in the "no add-ons" version - but I'm not a
> fan of add-ons anyway, so I only run Google toolbar.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Darren
>
> If you like Firefox that is fine. However, I don't need all the additional plugins necessary for Firefox to work on all websites and with all applications. As a browser, Firefox is probably better and safer than IE but I don't like it.

Personal preference, that is all.

Have a nice day.

C.B.
darrengibs@googlemail.com

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista
Hi Tiberius, thanks for your reply, as above the no-addons version
does not fix the issue, and spyware scans etc are clean. I think this
maybe a total rebuild required. which would be a pain, especially
since I don't know if this will fix the issue. I guess I can use the
process to identify what "causes" the issue.

Thanks again!
Darren

Frank

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista
darrengibs@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi Tiberius, thanks for your reply, as above the no-addons version
> does not fix the issue, and spyware scans etc are clean. I think this
> maybe a total rebuild required. which would be a pain, especially
> since I don't know if this will fix the issue. I guess I can use the
> process to identify what "causes" the issue.
>
> Thanks again!
> Darren

Did it ever occur to you to try a system restore?
Frank
darrengibs@googlemail.com

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista
Well, I did it ... started from scratch and discovered that the root
cause of the issue was an install for Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 -
without this installed it works fine, installing it causes the issue.
System Restore corrects it.

I hope this is of use to someone else

darrengibs@googlemail.com

On 17 May, 07:54, Frank <f...@nospamm.cmm> wrote:
> darreng...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > Hi Tiberius, thanks for your reply, as above the no-addons version
> > does not fix the issue, and spyware scans etc are clean. I think this
> > maybe a total rebuild required. which would be a pain, especially
> > since I don't know if this will fix the issue. I guess I can use the
> > process to identify what "causes" the issue.

> > Thanks again!
> >Darren

> Did it ever occur to you to try a system restore?
> Frank

I tracked the problem down to OneNote 2003 - after a rebuild of the
machine, I installed OneNote and the problem re-occurred. and System
restore fixed the issue.

Darren

jasestar1

Re: Reinstall/Fix Internet Explorer on Vista

I installed Firefox and laerturne dof the machin and when I logged back
on I go a add-on meeage for firefox I chicked yes - stupidly - and then
I got the couldn't connect message, which has alos now gone to Internet
Explorer. Anyone got any ideas to fix?

--
jasestar1
jasestar1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/222276.htm