Folder format doesn't "stick"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Folder format doesn't "stick"
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:34:53 -0400, "C. Roy Blye"
<nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> Bob - That sounds pretty drastic. I'll have to look into it. Meanwhile, if
> there's anyone out there who would concur with Bob, please speak up!

Concur with Bob that you should get rid of McAfee? Yes, I absolutely
concur.

I recommend NOD32 if you are willing to pay for an Antivirus, and one
of the following three if you want a free one

Avira
Avast
Microsoft Security Essentials.

> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >
> > McAfee is known to cause problems.
> >
> > Here's a link to the most recent problem McAfee caused.
> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100421/...antivirus_flaw
> >
> > Replace McAfee with the free Avast
> > Windows Defender.
> >
> > Disabling McAfee is not enough. You need to completely uninstall it.
> >
> > Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.
> > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml
> >

> > "C. Roy Blye" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> Hi Bob - I'm using a McAfee security suite that is part of my host
> >> subscription with ATT/Yahoo DSL.
> >>

> >> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bob

Re: Folder format doesn't "stick"
Really?

"Steven L." <sdlitvin@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:xPydnS2ZVOub8VLWnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...

> "Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>
>> Which firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware or security suite is installed?
>> There are some that cause problems which don't always appear immediately.

> This seems to be your generic, all-purpose reply to all reported problems.
> You replied the same thing to a guy with an HP laptop.
>
> Sorry, not all problems are caused by anti-virus suites.
>
> And this one sure doesn't sound like it.
>

> -- Steven L.

+Bob+

Re: Folder format doesn't "stick"
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:28:49 +0000, "Steven L."
<sdlitvin@earthlink.net> wrote:

>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
>Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
>
>Add a new 32 bit value, BagMRU Size, and set it equal to some much
>bigger number than 5000. Try 10000. Then reboot.
>
>See if that helps.

May work for a while. My experience is that Vista begins screwing up
again after a while (mine is set at 20K) and starts resetting again or
remembers changes you make on the fly (when you don't want it to) and
refuses to remember the "un-changes" you make when you correct it. The
most annoying area that I find changing is File Open, Save, Import,
etc dialogs from programs where it will forget what view you want,
what columns you want, their widths, and what sort order you want.

To correct these and force Vista to remember your settings, you can
use an old trick: Choose the option (like File -> Open) that you want
to correct, set the options, then hold down the shift key while you
click the "X" in the corner to close the window. Vista should then
remember the settings for that dialog... at least for a while.

Important note: If you change directories in the dialog box before
doing the above "X" fix, Vista will NOT remember the settings. You
have to set it in the initial directory/folder display.