Cannot Start Windows Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Mike McNeil

Cannot Start Windows Firewall
Awhile ago I disabled windows firewall as I was using Norton 360's firewall.
The other day, I uninstalled Norton and tried to reactivate Windows Vista
Firewall and it fails to do so. It says to try manually and that does not
work either. I even tried restarting the computer and that did not cure the
problem. It keeps telling me that the service is not running and when I try
it fails to load again.

Please help.

Ǝиçεl

RE: Cannot Start Windows Firewall

Firewalls FAQ
<http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx>

Exploring The Windows Firewall.
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/VistaFirewall/default.aspx>

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc510323.aspx>
*(read twice!)*

The New Windows Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Good luck

PS
This link is to Symantec's Norton Removal Tool:

<http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

Run it at least two times, each time reboot after it has finished, before

you attempt to install your new anti-virus. Even Symantec's own tool

struggles to rid a computer of all Norton residue.

"Mike McNeil" wrote:

> Awhile ago I disabled windows firewall as I was using Norton 360's firewall.
> The other day, I uninstalled Norton and tried to reactivate Windows Vista
> Firewall and it fails to do so. It says to try manually and that does not
> work either. I even tried restarting the computer and that did not cure the
> problem. It keeps telling me that the service is not running and when I try
> it fails to load again.
>
> Please help.
>
> .

pacinitaly

Re: Cannot Start Windows Firewall

mine too can't be accessed anymore.

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
Animenia

Re: Cannot Start Windows Firewall

Sounds like there are traces remaining from Norton 360 causing the
Windows Firewall to think that Norton is still covering the Firewall
protection.

Download Norton Removal Tool from Symantec for a full uninstall of any
possible remaining traces.
I'd recommend you to run Norton Removal Tool from Safe Mode to make
sure that everything is getting uninstalled properly.

/ Ani

pacinitaly

Animenia;1250096 Wrote:
> Sounds like there are traces remaining from Norton 360 causing the
> Windows Firewall to think that Norton is still covering the Firewall
> protection.
>
> Download Norton Removal Tool from Symantec for a full uninstall of any
> possible remaining traces.
> I'd recommend you to run Norton Removal Tool from Safe Mode to make
> sure that everything is getting uninstalled properly.
>
> / Ani

great idea, but too late for me. I just spent 7hrs reinstalling
vista:cry:

my firewall is there but my win7 STILL can't access it-only the public
folder

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt ya no

If I helped you, please tip my scales. If I have not, curse me out like
a drunken sailor
Mike McNeil

Re: Cannot Start Windows Firewall
UPDATE TO MY PROBLEM:

So I successfully got norton fully removed from my system the other day but
the problem with loading the service for my windows firewall still persists.
From what I have researched so far, the association with the service is out
of whack, or cannot be found. I guess Norton changed the path and did not
revert said change upon uninstall.

If a fix now involves heading into the registry, I can do that if someone
has a guarantee fix that way. I brose the registry on a regular basis so
not timid about heading in or making changes in there, providing it will
work

Gene E. Bloch

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:22:01 GMT, Mike McNeil wrote:

> UPDATE TO MY PROBLEM:
>
> So I successfully got norton fully removed from my system the other day but
> the problem with loading the service for my windows firewall still persists.
> From what I have researched so far, the association with the service is out
> of whack, or cannot be found. I guess Norton changed the path and did not
> revert said change upon uninstall.
>
> If a fix now involves heading into the registry, I can do that if someone
> has a guarantee fix that way. I brose the registry on a regular basis so
> not timid about heading in or making changes in there, providing it will
> work

I recently removed Norton Internet Security 2010 using the Norton's removal
tool, and had no difficulty getting the Windows firewall to start. You did
uninstall Norton 360 using their removal tool, right?

Admittedly, N360 isn't the same program (and I'm using Win 7), but I still
think you have a separate problem not related to Norton.

SFC (Windows System File Checker) might be a good place to start.

Best I can do beyond the above is to wish you good luck...

--
Gene E. Bloch
David_2010's Avatar

David_2010 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot Start Windows Firewall
Hello,

Have you tried to manually start the Windows Firewall Service ?
Is it also set to be automatically starting up ?

If you type in Run services.msc and check for Windows Firewall you can try to manually start or restart the service.
And the startup type should be set to Automatic.

I hope this can help.
David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the