How to disable wallpaper

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

steveb

How to disable wallpaper
This is unbelievable, but I cannot find a place to disable Wallpaper. Any
why doesn't desktop backgrounds let you choose an image from several default
storage locations like XP. XP used to index c:\windows, My docs and the
Wallpaper directory.

But mostly it won't let me choose "none"

thansk

Chris

Re: How to disable wallpaper
steveb wrote:
> This is unbelievable, but I cannot find a place to disable Wallpaper.
> Any why doesn't desktop backgrounds let you choose an image from several
> default storage locations like XP. XP used to index c:\windows, My
> docs and the Wallpaper directory.
>
> But mostly it won't let me choose "none"
>
> thansk

Choose, Solid Color, from the drop down selection in the Desktop
Background area of Personalization.
Robert Firth

Re: How to disable wallpaper
You can choose an image from other storage locations. There is a browse
button on the dialog for that purpose. Also, choose a solid color for a
background if you don't want a wallpaper. You can't go without a background,
it needs to display something.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"steveb" <swb_mct@msn.com> wrote in message
> This is unbelievable, but I cannot find a place to disable Wallpaper.
> Any why doesn't desktop backgrounds let you choose an image from several
> default storage locations like XP. XP used to index c:\windows, My docs
> and the Wallpaper directory.
>
> But mostly it won't let me choose "none"
>
> thansk

MICHAEL

Re: How to disable wallpaper

"steveb" <swb_mct@msn.com> wrote in message news:OkLNwUbRHHA.3440@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> This is unbelievable, but I cannot find a place to disable Wallpaper. Any
> why doesn't desktop backgrounds let you choose an image from several default
> storage locations like XP. XP used to index c:\windows, My docs and the
> Wallpaper directory.
>
> But mostly it won't let me choose "none"
>
> thansk

You can right click on any image and "Set as Desktop Background".

-Michael

jdliveit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VALID QUESTION, you can disable wallpaper
there is a way to disable wallpaper in vista. to make the video-wallpaper trick with vlc media player work, i disabled my wallpaper. when its disabled, it only show black (there IS a difference between setting black as your background and actually disabling, the video wallpaper trick didnt work if i just set it to black, so i figured out how to disable it). the only problem is i cant remember how i frickin did it!!!!!! now i want my regular wallpaper back, but its disabled. whatever phrase i google results in a bunch of idiots discussing idiotic ways to simply change settings, but its not as easy as right-clicking the desktop and choosing preferences! ive spent hours trying to re-enable my desktop but cant, somebody PLZ HELP!!!!
Brink

Re: How to disable wallpaper

jdliveit;674814 Wrote:
> there is a way to disable wallpaper in vista. to make the
> video-wallpaper trick with vlc media player work, i disabled my
> wallpaper. when its disabled, it only show black (there IS a difference
> between setting black as your background and actually disabling, the
> video wallpaper trick didnt work if i just set it to black, so i
> figured
> out how to disable it). the only problem is i cant remember how i
> frickin did it!!!!!! now i want my regular wallpaper back, but its
> disabled. whatever phrase i google results in a bunch of idiots
> discussing idiotic ways to simply change settings, but its not as easy
> as right-clicking the desktop and choosing preferences! ive spent hours
> trying to re-enable my desktop but cant, somebody PLZ HELP!!!!
>

> --
> jdliveit

Hi Jdliveit,

This tutorial may be able to you enable changing the desktop background
wallpaper again. Just set it to "Show" in STEP ONE and "Enable" in STEP
TWO.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...nt-change.html

Hope this helps you,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*

jdliveit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no luck
i cant even do step 2, when i search "gpedit.msc" (without quotations) nothing shows up. anyway, these step arent going to help. i can right-click on my desktop, go to personalize, change backgound, and choose one and everything. but when i click on a pic, the window goes away like it was chosen, but the wallpaper remains the same. now when i select a color, the color will change. also, when somehting quirky happens, like i have to end a task that stopped responding or something, and the desktop is refreshing, the picture that i selected for a background flashes on for a split second; this also happens when my computer is loading up from restart or something. i cant believe nobody on the freakin internet has found this "disable wallpaper (or background)" option that i stumbled on. well, one person must have, because i read how to once, but i cant find those instructions again!!!
any other ideas? i really appreciate the help
Brink

Re: How to disable wallpaper

jdliveit;676464 Wrote:
> i cant even do step 2, when i search "gpedit.msc" (without quotations)
> nothing shows up. anyway, these step arent going to help. i can
> right-click on my desktop, go to personalize, change backgound, and
> choose one and everything. but when i click on a pic, the window goes
> away like it was chosen, but the wallpaper remains the same. now when i
> select a color, the color will change. also, when somehting quirky
> happens, like i have to end a task that stopped responding or
> something,
> and the desktop is refreshing, the picture that i selected for a
> background flashes on for a split second; this also happens when my
> computer is loading up from restart or something. i cant believe nobody
> on the freakin internet has found this "disable wallpaper (or
> background)" option that i stumbled on. well, one person must have,
> because i read how to once, but i cant find those instructions
> again!!!
> any other ideas? i really appreciate the help
>

> --
> jdliveit

Jdliveit,

Check this setting in the Control Panel (Classic View).
1. Click on the "Ease of Access Center" icon
2. Click on "Make the computer easier to see"
3. Uncheck "Remove background images (where available)"
4. Click Save

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*

jdliveit is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! Finally Found It!
Jdliveit,

Check this setting in the Control Panel (Classic View).
1. Click on the "Ease of Access Center" icon
2. Click on "Make the computer easier to see"
3. Uncheck "Remove background images (where available)"
4. Click Save

Hope this helps,
Shawn

YES!!! I love u shawn. under step 2, instead, click on "Make it easier to focus on tasks" then proceed to step 3, and it worked ! After days (literally) of looking, you found out for me. thx a lot man.
Brink

Re: How to disable wallpaper

jdliveit;677107 Wrote:

> > Jdliveit,
> >
> > Check this setting in the Control Panel (Classic View).
> > 1. Click on the "Ease of Access Center" icon
> > 2. Click on "Make the computer easier to see"
> > 3. Uncheck "Remove background images (where available)"
> > 4. Click Save
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Shawn> >

> YES!!! I love u shawn. under step 2, instead, click on "Make it
> easier
> to focus on tasks" then proceed to step 3, and it worked ! After
> days (literally) of looking, you found out for me. thx a lot man.
>

> --
> jdliveit

Your welcome Jdliviet. Glad to hear that your problem is fixed now.

Shawn