running out of disk space

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

GS

running out of disk space
I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in %temp%
folder lately
like 10 GB in two days.

I deleted them a couple of days ago and got disk fill message today, seeing
a large number of temp_....zip again in %temp%

what is causing this? windows search?

seth

Re: running out of disk space
i've seen something like this before; could be spyware

"GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in

> I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in
> %temp% folder lately
> like 10 GB in two days.
>

> I deleted them a couple of days ago and got disk fill message today,
> seeing a large number of temp_....zip again in %temp%
>

> what is causing this? windows search?

GS

Re: running out of disk space
I just did a windows search a on a folder searching by name and index.
voila, I see %temp% folder being filled sith
temp_<whateverFilenameInTheFolderBeingsearched>.zi p

is this normal?

"seth" <me@myhouse.net> wrote in message
> i've seen something like this before; could be spyware
>
> "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote in
>
> > I seems to be getting a large number of temp_someFilename.zip in
> > %temp% folder lately
> > like 10 GB in two days.
> >

> > I deleted them a couple of days ago and got disk fill message today,
> > seeing a large number of temp_....zip again in %temp%
> >

> > what is causing this? windows search?

+Bob+

Re: running out of disk space
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:43:06 -0700, "GS"
<gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote:

>I just did a windows search a on a folder searching by name and index.
>voila, I see %temp% folder being filled sith
>temp_<whateverFilenameInTheFolderBeingsearched>.z ip
>
>is this normal?

No.

Time for virus, spyware, malware scans.
GS

Re: running out of disk space
Correction to when %temp% being filled:
%temp% is filled with zip files only if I do windows search with both of the
following options on:
name and content search options
search inside zip folders
this disk space consumed is proportional to the amount of disk space
occupied by the zip folders inside the folder being searched. for a folder
with about 20GB of zip files, the total temp_...zip files generated in
%temp% consume only a few GB

disk exhaustion occurs only if I search a very large folder with too much
zip files or when I search the whole computers with the above mentioned
options

So is this still abnormal?

Nonetheless, virus/malware scan is being made.

"+Bob+" <nomailplease@example.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:43:06 -0700, "GS"
> <gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote:
>
> >I just did a windows search a on a folder searching by name and index.
> >voila, I see %temp% folder being filled sith
> >temp_<whateverFilenameInTheFolderBeingsearched>.z ip
> >
> >is this normal?
> >

> No.
>
> Time for virus, spyware, malware scans.

+Bob+

Re: running out of disk space
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:45:41 -0700, "GS"
<gsmsnews.microsoft.comGS@msnews.Nomail.com> wrote:

>Correction to when %temp% being filled:
>%temp% is filled with zip files only if I do windows search with both of the
>following options on:
> name and content search options
> search inside zip folders
> this disk space consumed is proportional to the amount of disk space
>occupied by the zip folders inside the folder being searched. for a folder
>with about 20GB of zip files, the total temp_...zip files generated in
>%temp% consume only a few GB
>
>disk exhaustion occurs only if I search a very large folder with too much
>zip files or when I search the whole computers with the above mentioned
>options
>
>So is this still abnormal?

Well, more normal. I don't know what the schedule is for windows to
clean up those temp files, but I'd guess it's not doing it.

Stan Starinski

Re: running out of disk space
Possibly:

a) Virus or Spyware

b) You do a lot of Audio/Video processing, and CD/DVD/BD writing - all of
which fill up Temporary folder with enormous 4-30GB chunks of temproary
data.

In case of a) use Symantce AV + PC Tools SpywareDoctor.
In cas eof b) consider a 1TB disk
Look at ZipZoomFly.com for bes tdeals on harddisks.

Hope this helps