locked out of "Documents and settings" folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Bet

locked out of "Documents and settings" folder
I have recently been locked out of certian folders, I am the only user on
this computer and it has admin privliges. I do have another account set up
and it works fine but it is a backup in case of a problem more major than
this i can still work as it is but i would like to fix this problem.

Thanks for any help.
Dave

Re: locked out of "Documents and settings" folder
In Vista (and in Windows 7), "Documents and Settings" is not a folder.
Vista/Win7 uses a different file structure than XP does/did. Those familiar
folder names you may be used to, like "My Documents", "Documents &
Settings", etc. are not folders in Vista/Win7. They are junction points,
and are used for legacy programs which were written to utilize the XP file
structure.
They will redirect the programs to use the equivalent Vista/Win7 folders.
If you keep the protected operating system files hidden, you won't see them.

In Vista/Win7......
Documents & Settings -> \Users
My Documents -> \Users\youraccount\Documents
My Music -> \Users\youraccount\Music
Application Data -> \Users\youraccount\AppData
etc.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"Bet" <Bet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently been locked out of certian folders, I am the only user on
> this computer and it has admin privliges. I do have another account set
> up
> and it works fine but it is a backup in case of a problem more major than
> this i can still work as it is but i would like to fix this problem.
>
> Thanks for any help.

+Bob+

Re: locked out of "Documents and settings" folder
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:22:26 -0500, "Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com>
wrote:

>In Vista (and in Windows 7), "Documents and Settings" is not a folder.
>Vista/Win7 uses a different file structure than XP does/did. Those familiar
>folder names you may be used to, like "My Documents", "Documents &
>Settings", etc. are not folders in Vista/Win7. They are junction points,
>and are used for legacy programs which were written to utilize the XP file
>structure.

You should still be able to use that junction point and transverse it
to the actual folder (C:\users). But MS's non-sensical "lock
everything down even though it doesn't need locking down" security
model keeps you out.

To the OP: You will need to give yourself priv's to the Documents and
Settings folder. Since it leads to C:\users, you can give it the same
permissions, which I believe default to Everyone>All.