desktop shortcuts won't delete

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

thing50

desktop shortcuts won't delete
I uninstalled a few programs and now I cannot remove their shortcuts from the
desktop, it says 'this item is no longer located in users/public/public
desktop...please verify its location'. I went to user/desktop and the
shortcuts are not in there...confused as how to remove them!
Dave Cox

Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete
=?Utf-8?B?dGhpbmc1MA==?= <thing50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in news:EAAADE7D-07F3-435C-BE05-F78B7332C73F@microsoft.com:

> I uninstalled a few programs and now I cannot remove their
> shortcuts from the desktop, it says 'this item is no longer
> located in users/public/public desktop...please verify its
> location'. I went to user/desktop and the shortcuts are not in
> there...confused as how to remove them!

click your desktop and hit the f5 key.
Chad Harris

Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete
Hi thing50--

Your name sounds like the name of a band or the Bush plan in Iraq or
anywhere else. A couple tips:

1) Try right clicking the shortcut>properties>security tab>edit>choose the
user profile you want or add users>check all the
boxes>apply>close>reopen>close.

2) If the above does not help you, restart and F8 to Safe Mode>right click
start>open "explorer all users">find file and delete.

3) Or try these:

One of the most powerful free utilities is:

DelinvFile - Delete Invalid Files and Folders

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

How to Delete Undeletable folder Doug Knox MVP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

How I Delete Undeletable File John Barnett MVP
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...eletable_f.htm

and from Dan S. in an earlier thread:

You could try opening a cmd prompt, CD to the directory in which the folder
resides.

Do a dir /x, which will list the 'real' 8.3 names of files & folders.

Then try to delete with the RD command.

Good luck,

CH

"thing50" <thing50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled a few programs and now I cannot remove their shortcuts from
>the
> desktop, it says 'this item is no longer located in users/public/public
> desktop...please verify its location'. I went to user/desktop and the
> shortcuts are not in there...confused as how to remove them!

thomas

Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete
try pressing f5 on desktop ... comp may not i caught up

or a reboot

"thing50" <thing50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled a few programs and now I cannot remove their shortcuts from
>the
> desktop, it says 'this item is no longer located in users/public/public
> desktop...please verify its location'. I went to user/desktop and the
> shortcuts are not in there...confused as how to remove them!

Ginchy

Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete

"thing50" <thing50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled a few programs and now I cannot remove their shortcuts from
>the
> desktop, it says 'this item is no longer located in users/public/public
> desktop...please verify its location'. I went to user/desktop and the
> shortcuts are not in there...confused as how to remove them!

it goes when you reboot....caught me too!

Chad Harris

Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete
Ginchy --

Sometimes reboots help this and all kinds of things, but many times the
non-deletable shortcut, file or folder will resist reboots for all kinds of
reasons.

CH

"Ginchy" <thatsme!> wrote in message news:i9-dnVtubrXpSd3bRVnytQA@bt.com...

> "thing50" <thing50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I uninstalled a few programs and now I cannot remove their shortcuts from
>>the
>> desktop, it says 'this item is no longer located in users/public/public
>> desktop...please verify its location'. I went to user/desktop and the
>> shortcuts are not in there...confused as how to remove them!

> it goes when you reboot....caught me too!

thing50

Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete
f5 worked..thanks a lot for replys!

Location: Kansas
damesjiemer is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: desktop shortcuts won't delete
The program from purgee... the first link you provided worked like a charm... thank you so much... that was getting on my nerves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Harris View Post
Hi thing50--

Your name sounds like the name of a band or the Bush plan in Iraq or
anywhere else. A couple tips:

1) Try right clicking the shortcut>properties>security tab>edit>choose the
user profile you want or add users>check all the
boxes>apply>close>reopen>close.

2) If the above does not help you, restart and F8 to Safe Mode>right click
start>open "explorer all users">find file and delete.

3) Or try these:

One of the most powerful free utilities is:

DelinvFile - Delete Invalid Files and Folders

DelinvFile - Utility for Deleting Invalid Files and Folders

How to Delete Undeletable folder Doug Knox MVP
Delete "Undeletable" Files

How I Delete Undeletable File John Barnett MVP
John Barnett's Windows XP Help and Support