usb serial controller driver?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

alien

usb serial controller driver?
Hello all. I am stuck. I have an external modem that is
connected with a serial plugin. My pc has no serial plugs so
I have to use a serial to usb adapter. It used to work with
xp. But I did a clean install with vista and now I cant get
it to work. It searches for drivers or what not but cant find
a solution. I have no idea where the disk was that came with
the adapter. **been a few years** Are there any usb serial
controller drivers for vista? Any points in the right
direction is greatly needed. I have googled for an answer but
just come up confused. Thanks to all who reply.
Don

Re: usb serial controller driver?
alien wrote:
> Hello all. I am stuck. I have an external modem that is
> connected with a serial plugin. My pc has no serial plugs so
> I have to use a serial to usb adapter. It used to work with
> xp. But I did a clean install with vista and now I cant get
> it to work...

Can you still boot XP? You could at least tell what driver is
used in XP and start searching from there. You could also try
to convince a friend with XP to let you plug in your modem and
see what drivers it wants to install.

alien

Re: usb serial controller driver?
Don <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in news:e#5Dl3QkHHA.1992
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

> alien wrote:
>> Hello all. I am stuck. I have an external modem that is
>> connected with a serial plugin. My pc has no serial plugs so
>> I have to use a serial to usb adapter. It used to work with
>> xp. But I did a clean install with vista and now I cant get
>> it to work...

> Can you still boot XP? You could at least tell what driver is
> used in XP and start searching from there. You could also try
> to convince a friend with XP to let you plug in your modem and
> see what drivers it wants to install.

yes. I will have to do that in the next few days. I am having all sorts of
probs with hardware on my desktop. My new laptop came with vista on it and
the serial to usb cable doesnt work on it either. Funny part is. I think I
was just using some old generic usb serial controller drivers for xp. I may
search around for controller drivers for xp and just go from there like ya
say. I may just go out tomorrow and buy another cable with an install disk
all together. And just make sure its vista compat.
On a side note my modem isnt working either. An old conexant 56k modem.
It is detected by vista and recognized, just wont dial out. Hehe I gues I
just need to upgrade some hardware on my desktop. Thanks for your reply!
DanR

"alien" <aliensoul69_is_here@oo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9929D4B83B03Daliensoul69ishereyoc@216.151. 153.46...
> Don <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in news:e#5Dl3QkHHA.1992
> @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>
>> alien wrote:
>>> Hello all. I am stuck. I have an external modem that is
>>> connected with a serial plugin. My pc has no serial plugs so
>>> I have to use a serial to usb adapter. It used to work with
>>> xp. But I did a clean install with vista and now I cant get
>>> it to work...

>> Can you still boot XP? You could at least tell what driver is
>> used in XP and start searching from there. You could also try
>> to convince a friend with XP to let you plug in your modem and
>> see what drivers it wants to install.
>>

> yes. I will have to do that in the next few days. I am having all sorts of
> probs with hardware on my desktop. My new laptop came with vista on it and
> the serial to usb cable doesnt work on it either. Funny part is. I think I
> was just using some old generic usb serial controller drivers for xp. I
> may
> search around for controller drivers for xp and just go from there like ya
> say. I may just go out tomorrow and buy another cable with an install
> disk
> all together. And just make sure its vista compat.
> On a side note my modem isnt working either. An old conexant 56k modem.
> It is detected by vista and recognized, just wont dial out. Hehe I gues I
> just need to upgrade some hardware on my desktop. Thanks for your reply!

We have a Vista laptop at work with a serial to USB adaptor that works fine.
So there is hope.

Steve Thackery

Re: usb serial controller driver?
I've got a Rotronic USB-to-serial adapter cable, and the driver for that
comes with Vista. It works perfectly.

I've also got a Belkin USB to serial adapter (F5U103) and Vista won't
recognise it.

It all depends on which chipset the adapter uses, presumably, but the good
thing is that some of them DO work with Vista.

Steve

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: usb serial controller driver?
Prolific is one of the chips used in USB to Serial adapters.

I have one for my Nokia phone that I could not get working under XP nor
now under VISTA. It's a third party cable so Nokia deny responsibility
but I was able through Device Manager to check that it used a Prolific
chip and got a driver for it but it still didn't work.

One thing Nokia say is that you have to make sure that it gets
allocated a COM port.

alien

Re: usb serial controller driver?
Hugh Wyn Griffith <huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in

> Prolific is one of the chips used in USB to Serial adapters.
>
> I have one for my Nokia phone that I could not get working under XP
> nor now under VISTA. It's a third party cable so Nokia deny
> responsibility but I was able through Device Manager to check that it
> used a Prolific chip and got a driver for it but it still didn't work.
>
> One thing Nokia say is that you have to make sure that it gets
> allocated a COM port.

hey all. Thanks for the replys. A buddy of mine had and extra cable and
it works fine. I finally got my modem to work as well. I am giving vista
love now. My brother bought his upgrade today. Vista is like a virus.

NotMe

Re: usb serial controller driver?
Hantavirus? 96% Fatal? LMAO

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com

In article <Xns992AC66575221aliensoul69ishereyoc@216.151.153. 46>, Alien
wrote:

> A buddy of mine had and extra cable and
> it works fine

That is good to know -- perhaps I'd better fork out for the Nokia
cable!