Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disappeared in device manager with Vista Home P

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2007
awhatley
 

Posts: n/a
CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disappeared in device manager with Vista Home P
For a while I could restart the computer and they would show up. I installed
Vista Home Premium in January. Now they won't show up at all in Computer or
Device Manager. The only thing that shows up under Removable Storage Devices
is the Floppy Disk Drive.

Please help me find a solution. My next option is to reformat with the
original XP Home restore disc that came originally with my computer. I don't
want to throw away the $159 I spent on this OS though.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2007
dean-dean
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disappeared in device manager with Vista Home P
Try Method 1:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us


"awhatley" <awhatley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2B807C1E-916C-45EF-9467-4EA6B27838EE@microsoft.com...
> For a while I could restart the computer and they would show up. I
> installed
> Vista Home Premium in January. Now they won't show up at all in Computer
> or
> Device Manager. The only thing that shows up under Removable Storage
> Devices
> is the Floppy Disk Drive.
>
> Please help me find a solution. My next option is to reformat with the
> original XP Home restore disc that came originally with my computer. I
> don't
> want to throw away the $159 I spent on this OS though.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2007
awhatley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disappeared in device manager with Vista Ho
Already tried that and still doesn't work.

Thanks for trying though.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try Method 1:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us
>
>
> "awhatley" <awhatley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2B807C1E-916C-45EF-9467-4EA6B27838EE@microsoft.com...
> > For a while I could restart the computer and they would show up. I
> > installed
> > Vista Home Premium in January. Now they won't show up at all in Computer
> > or
> > Device Manager. The only thing that shows up under Removable Storage
> > Devices
> > is the Floppy Disk Drive.
> >
> > Please help me find a solution. My next option is to reformat with the
> > original XP Home restore disc that came originally with my computer. I
> > don't
> > want to throw away the $159 I spent on this OS though.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2008
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
alias007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar issue
I have a similar issue. My sound card will go away as soon as I reboot or go to standby. I have to insert or remove a card in one of the PCI slots and turn the computer back on for it to get detected again. If I reboot or go to standby it goes away again. Then I have to add/remove another card for it to get detected again.

Seems to me that making hardware changes forces Vista to refresh the device list and it gets detected.

I wonder if using something like MagicDisc (free) to just create a virtual drive (yes, it shows up in Device Manager) would give Vista the jolt it needs. If that works, then at least there'd be a software work around.

Also (if it works) it'd be nice to find a command line app similar to magicdisc where you can script a drive to go away and come back. Then you could set the script to run every time you come out of standby or on bootup.

I'm not near my media center to test this, but it's a thought anyway. If you get a chance to look at this, post back your results! :-)

Jason
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2008
Donald L McDaniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disappeared in device manager with Vista Home P
On Fri, 9 May 2008 19:03:29 +0100, alias007
<alias007.395og4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>
>I have a similar issue. My sound card will go away as soon as I reboot
>or go to standby. I have to insert or remove a card in one of the PCI
>slots and turn the computer back on for it to get detected again. If I
>reboot or go to standby it goes away again. Then I have to add/remove
>another card for it to get detected again.


This is NOT a "common" problem. Most others do not have this problem.
Perhaps you might install the latest drivers for that particular card.
If that doesn't work, then REPLACE the card with one which IS
Vista-compatible.

>
>Seems to me that making hardware changes forces Vista to refresh the
>device list and it gets detected.


That is correct, AFIK. Additionally, making hw changes also forces
Vista to revisit your Activation record.

>I wonder if using something like MagicDisc (free) to just create a
>virtual drive (yes, it shows up in Device Manager) would give Vista the
>jolt it needs. If that works, then at least there'd be a software work
>around.


What does a "virtual drive" have to do with a faulty audio card?
Additionally WHY use "software workarounds" in the first place? Why
not just use a Vista-compatible sound card, along with a
Vista-compatible driver for the card? Heck, man! There are a
plethora of Vista-compatible sound cards, and they are usually
very-reasonably priced, comparatively.

>Also (if it works) it'd be nice to find a command line app similar to
>magicdisc where you can script a drive to go away and come back. Then
>you could set the script to run every time you come out of standby or on
>bootup.



Why use a "software fix" to fix a hardware problem?
That's much like using Duct Tape to stop a high-pressure steam-leak.
It will usually work for awhile, but eventually, the steam will
overcome the strength of the glue on the tape, and you will wind up
having a WORSE problem on your hands.

>I'm not near my media center to test this, but it's a thought anyway.
>If you get a chance to look at this, post back your results! :-)
>
>Jason



Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
================================================
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2008
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
alias007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are much nicer ways to reply to a person's posts. Please don't be rude.

I didn't mean to imply that this was a common problem. However, many people are having issues with their sound card. Microsoft totally revamped the audio layer of their software and so that's why manufacturers are struggling to get revision after revision of drivers out for their audio cards. So far, the latest drivers for mine don't seem to work. However, the same card works in XP. My card is labeled "Vista compatible" (not capable) so I'm hopeful that in time a new revision of their driver will be what I'm waiting on.

As for activation records, I've already activated windows. So I'm not getting any nuisance screens.

>What does a "virtual drive" have to do with a faulty audio card?

It's not faulty. It works in another machine. I only mentioned adding and then removing a virtual drive as a possible way to force Vista to go back through the hardware list and perhaps find the audio card.

>Why use "software workarounds" in the first place?

Because I'm waiting until either the drivers catch up to Vista or Microsoft releases a patch that gets these audio cards working. That being said, I still catch myself doing a google search for audio cards that are Vista compatible *and* have good reviews. If I find one, I'll buy it.

> There are a plethora of Vista-compatible sound cards...

I have no trouble spending $100 on a card if it'll work. But I'm not seeing enough reviews for these cards, and some of the ones that do have reviews that say 'they're not compatible with Vista as advertised'. Granted, these reviews could've been written by anyone. But none of the reviews (that I've seen of course) have been good enough to merit me wasting more time and money on the issue. This is a very low priority for me. It'll all work out eventually.

I'd like an example on the duct tape analogy. This is just a refresh of devices. As long as it works once, it should work again. I don't see how this could not be the case, but I'm open-minded. I may have 15 years experience but I'd be a fool to think I've seen it all - I know I haven't. And I've seen enough crazy stuff to believe what you're saying is possible too. But I need more details rather than just an analogy.

Granted, the workaround I suggested isn't the optimal solution. The optimal solution would be for Microsoft (our whoever) to keep devices from being dropped after standby/reboot. But I'm basing my suggestion on the hope that the party that has ownership of this issue is working to resolve it. Perhaps Microsoft will issue a windows update that will fix this or if it is in fact the fault of the driver, that the manufacturer will offer a revision that works. Who knows, maybe it's Intel's motherboard. And as I said, this is really low priority for me. So if there's no update that fixes this (so far I have all the latest windows updates and drivers) within the next few months, I'll probably start cycling through sound cards until 1 works. But that's all just me.

The real reason I offered this workaround was just as a way to offer the original poster a backup plan. So that no matter what, there's at least 1 possibility. Untested in all it's theoretical (and smelly) glory.

The original poster had a drive that was showing up in device manager in Vista but eventually was perpetually dropped. I'm having the same issue with a totally different device that is handled through a different section of code in the OS. This leads me to believe that it's not a driver issue and since my card works in XP and his device worked before he upgraded to Vista and both worked at least once in Vista that the issue isn't with these devices, but with Vista. Assuming that this could possibly happen with any device, some of which would be too expensive to just replace (Bluray rewriteable - just off the top of my head), I decided to offer my workaround as a suggestion. It might not even work! But at least I tried.

And if it does work, it's at least something to hold you over until the core issue is resolved.

Jason

Last edited by alias007 : 05-12-2008 at 03:47.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2008
Donald L McDaniel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disappeared in device manager with Vista Home P
On Mon, 12 May 2008 03:32:34 +0100, alias007
<alias007.39a00b@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>
>There are much nicer ways to reply to a person's posts. Please don't be
>rude.


I really don't understand why you think my reply was "rude". It was
right to the point, and corrected your misconceptions. IF I felt like
being "rude", I would have used much stronger language. Don't believe
me? Read some of my other thousands of replies in varios Newsgroups
and Forums. You haven't seen "rude" yet.

Anyway, I do apologize for what you thought was "rudeness". Of
course, I have no control over your thoughts and feelings, do I?

IF you want to keep using the Usenet, you are going to have to grow a
thicker skin, friend. I'm usually a nice person, and do have the
user's best interests at heart. Many others don't.

>I didn't mean to imply that this was a common problem. However, many
>people are having issues with their sound card. Microsoft totally
>revamped the audio layer of their software and so that's why
>manufacturers are struggling to get revision after revision of drivers
>out for their audio cards.


The fact is, these OEMs have had over a YEAR and a half to produce
drivers for their cards which work well in Vista. They either don't
want to spend the money it takes to develop for Vista, or they are not
technically capable of doing so. Talk to them, not Microsoft.

>So far, the latest drivers for mine don't
>seem to work. However, the same card works in XP. My card is labeled
>"Vista compatible" (not capable) so I'm hopeful that in time a new
>revision of their driver will be what I'm waiting on.


IN the mean time, please do not blame Microsoft for the manufacturer's
obvious lack of care for their customers.

Just spend the $49 for a decent card for Vista, and you won't have any
more problems (at tleast in this area).

>
>As for activation records, I've already activated windows. So I'm not
>getting any nuisance screens.
>
>>What does a "virtual drive" have to do with a faulty audio card?

>
>It's not faulty. It works in another machine. I only mention adding
>and then removing a virtual drive to force Vista to go back through the
>hardware list and possibly find the audio card.
>
>>Why use "software workarounds" in the first place?

>
>Because I'm waiting until either the drivers catch up to Vista or
>Microsoft releases a patch that gets these audio cards working.


Sorry, friend, but if you are waiting for Microsoft, you are going to
have to wait a long, long time, since Microsoft simply doesn't do
that, it being the OEM's responsibility, not Microsoft's.

>That
>being said, I still catch myself doing a google search for audio cards
>that are Vista compatible *and* have good reviews. If I find one, I'll
>buy it.
>
>> There are a plethora of Vista-compatible sound cards...

>
>I have no trouble spending $100 on a card if it'll work. But I'm not
>seeing enough reviews out there or at least the cards that do have
>reviews say that they're not compatible with Vista as advertised. This
>is not the 'compatible vs capable' issue, by the way. That being said,
>please prove me wrong. Point a card out to me that totally proves me
>wrong and I WILL buy it.


Well, the sound circuity on my motherboard works perfectly. Not a
problem seen yet.

>
>I'd like an example on the duct tape analogy. This is just a refresh
>of devices. As long as it works once, it should work again. I don't
>see how this could not be the case, but I'm open-minded. I may have 15
>years experience but I'd be a fool to think I've seen it all.
>
>Granted, the workaround I suggested isn't the optimal solution. The
>optimal solution would be for Microsoft to keep devices from being
>dropped after standby/reboot.


This is just not possible IF the driver (NOT WRITTEN by MICROSOFT, by
the way) is faulty. Again, it is NOT Microsoft's responsibility to
make sure EVERY DRIVER in the world works as it should: It is the
OEM's.

>But I'm basing my suggestion on the hope
>that Microsoft will issue a windows update that will fix this or if it
>is in fact the fault of the driver,


Microsoft NEVER supplies such "updates" for OEM devices, unless they
work with Microsoft to issue a newer driver.

>that the manufacturer will offer a
>revision that works. All I wanted was to offer the original poster a
>backup plan. So that no matter what, there's at least 1 possibility.
>Untested in all it's theoretical (and smelly) glory.


Actually, these "workarounds" have been tried before, with better or
worse results. The BEST "workaround" is to make sure your ENTIRE
computer is capable of using your Microsoft OS correctly BEFORE buying
it.

BTW, you can hardly ever go wrong by buying motherboards, etc from
Intel. I've never had problems with Intel motherboards and the
devices attached to them.

Via, yes. Intel, never.


>
>To get back to the main topic. The original poster had a drive that
>was showing up in device manager in Vista but eventually was perpetually
>dropped. I'm having the same issue with a totally different device that
>is handled through a different section of code in the OS. This leads me
>to believe that it's not a driver issue and since my card works in XP
>and his device worked before he upgraded to Vista and both worked at
>least once in Vista that the issue isn't the device, but Vista.


Keep on assuming that it is Microsoft's fault. See where that gets
anyone.

The fact is, Microsoft CHANGED the Driver frameworks for printers,
video, and audio devices. That the OEM's failed to change their OWN
drivers is THEIR fault, not Microsoft's. As I said, they've had over
a year and a half to fix their devices and drivers. They have NO ONE
to blame but themselves. By the way, releasing a driver "fix" for a
device which is not really capable of being used productively in Vista
is idiotic, and "cheap", and only shows their obvious non-concern for
their customers.

>Assuming that this could possibly happen with any device, some of which
>would be to expensive to just replace (Bluray rewriteable - just off the
>top of my head), I decided to offer my workaround as a suggestion. It
>might not even work! But at least I tried.
>
>And if it does work, it's at least something to hold you over until the
>core issue is resolved.


I just can't believe this: We spend thousands of dollars to buy our
machines, then blame Microsoft when one of the $50 devices the
manufacturers put in them is useless in Vista.

>No more anologies please. They hurt my head. :-)


I can see why, friend.
I will try to stay away from "anologies" (Sic) with you from now on.


Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
================================================
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2008
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
alias007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you're rude. But I respect your opinion so keep offering it. Even though it's not in a manor I prefer. As long as you can offer meaningful criticisms and opinions have at it.

I'm not blaming Microsoft. I clearly said before that it could be their fault, or the OEM's. I don't care who. But what I said was NOT that Microsoft needs to write drivers for the manufacturers' hardware. I said that IF Microsoft's has any fault that it would be with the way it handles the list of devices on the system. I can get the sound card to work. But if I reboot Vista, it forgets it's there. This doesn't happen on my XP box. That means the card is not faulty. And it's labeled Vista compatible. So that "theoretically" means it's Vista compatible.

I did make sure that all devices were Vista compatible when I bought the system.

Glad to hear the positive feedback on the Intel motherboards. I'll put that on the bottom of the list of things to investigate for now.

Analogies only hurt my head when they come from you, by the way. You make the analogy but fail to offer premises to your conclusion. I'm still waiting on the technical explanation for your duct tape analogy.

It seems you're not reading what I'm writing so allow me to repeat.

1. I'm not convinced that Microsoft is not to blame. I'm NOT saying Microsoft needs to release drivers!!! Please quote me on saying that.
2. I guess it could be a driver issue. But explain why the same symptoms happen with multiple devices that are proven to be working and 1 of which is labeled Vista Compatible.

Last edited by alias007 : 05-13-2008 at 01:54.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2008
 

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
alias007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I reread your original reply and didn't find you to be quite so rude as I did the first time I read it. In fact, had I read your post better I would not have made the 'rude' comment at all. But since I said it, I'll explain why I found your comments rude. And then I'll apologize.

> If that doesn't work, then REPLACE the card with one which IS
Vista-compatible.

A) Of course I've already thought of that. Who wouldn't?
B) I suppose I misinterpretted your use of ALL CAPS.
C) I apologize.

>What does a "virtual drive" have to do with a faulty audio card?

A) In this case, I think you should have read my post more carefully. The virtual drive workaround was so that awhatley could get his device working in Vista, which had been working before the Vista upgrade.
B) Sentences in the 'What does ____ have to do with ____" format is generally intended to be rude. I suppose I misinterpretted you here as well.
C) I apologize.

>Why use a "software fix" to fix a hardware problem?
>That's much like using Duct Tape to stop a high-pressure steam-leak.
>It will usually work for awhile, but eventually, the steam will
>overcome the strength of the glue on the tape, and you will wind up
>having a WORSE problem on your hands.

A) I misread this. I had Vista compatibility in my head since you had mentioned that a couple of times and so by the time I got to this analogy I had actually read the question as "Why use a software fix to fix a compatibility issue".
B) You made perfect sense in your analogy.
C) I apologize.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD ROM DVD ROM drives problem meron microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 6 12-31-2007 23:59
CD-RW and DVD-ROM disappeared in Vista Home Premium awhatley microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 15 06-01-2007 10:28
Re: CD ROM DVD ROM drives problem Gary VanderMolen microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 05-05-2007 22:57
Issues with CD/DVD Rom device driver =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fybw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 3 03-19-2007 23:38
DVD/CD-ROM Device Drivers =?Utf-8?B?UG9zc3Vtbno=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 01-25-2007 01:06




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:55.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120