Memory Hard faults per second.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Charles W Davis

Memory Hard faults per second.
I have had a weeklong problem with a Computer Club member's computer.
Gateway, Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have done an upgrade install and things seem to be moving along quite
well. At the moment, it is downloading a bunch of updates. With the Resource
Monitor open Memory shows 10 to 100 Hard Faults per second. For comparison,
I am looking at my own Windows Vista computer, and don't see any "hard
faults."

What am I looking at?

whs

Re: Memory Hard faults per second.

The hard faults are paging calls. They are a function of RAM. With
little RAM (e.g. 1GB) you would see a lot of hard faults. With 4GB, you
might not see any in a long time. There is nothing to worry about. It is
just a function of the physics of the system. If you want no hard faults
- and thus better performance, get more RAM.

--
whs
Chuck

Re: Memory Hard faults per second.
I'd be looking for a good memory tester, and running it for several hours.
It may be that the memory voltage or timing is incorrect. (BIOS settings)

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>I have had a weeklong problem with a Computer Club member's computer.
>Gateway, Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> I have done an upgrade install and things seem to be moving along quite
> well. At the moment, it is downloading a bunch of updates. With the
> Resource Monitor open Memory shows 10 to 100 Hard Faults per second. For
> comparison, I am looking at my own Windows Vista computer, and don't see
> any "hard faults."
>
> What am I looking at?

Michael Walraven

Re: Memory Hard faults per second.
Hard Fault is not a hardware problem. It refers to attempting to access
logical memory which is not currently in physical memory. That creates a
'fault' which the system uses to fetch that chunk of logical memory from the
hard drive into physical memory. Large numbers here mean that you need more
physical memory to reduce the swapping.

Michael

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
> I have had a weeklong problem with a Computer Club member's computer.
> Gateway, Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> I have done an upgrade install and things seem to be moving along quite
> well. At the moment, it is downloading a bunch of updates. With the
> Resource Monitor open Memory shows 10 to 100 Hard Faults per second. For
> comparison, I am looking at my own Windows Vista computer, and don't see
> any "hard faults."
>
> What am I looking at?

Chuck

Re: Memory Hard faults per second.
I'd agree with that, except that I've also had marginal memory result in the
same "Hard Fault" indication.
Why, ??? Perhaps the data in physical memory failed some sort of check?