desktop sleep shortcut

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

dwolf

desktop sleep shortcut
I got one from the tweak program, but the sleep command seems to do more
than sleep... anyway doesn't seem to work properly.. doesn't wake up...

So is there another way to create a desktop sleep shortcut ?

Joel

Joaneee

RE: desktop sleep shortcut
Do a search in this discussion group on "putting to sleep remotely"; the post
by Said Daniel in that thread has a little javascript thing you can use; it
works very well for me.

--
Joaneee

"dwolf" wrote:

> I got one from the tweak program, but the sleep command seems to do more
> than sleep... anyway doesn't seem to work properly.. doesn't wake up...
>
> So is there another way to create a desktop sleep shortcut ?
>
> Joel

Pecos

Re: desktop sleep shortcut

"dwolf" <jojonospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I got one from the tweak program, but the sleep command seems to do more
>than sleep... anyway doesn't seem to work properly.. doesn't wake up...
>
> So is there another way to create a desktop sleep shortcut ?
>
> Joel

From a reply to your previous post:
I was asked if I could create instructions for a shortcut icon for the
Vista desktop. I found a way to do it, but it has only been tested on a
couple of PC's. I have added instructions to the webpage for a desktop
sleep icon since you asked. This has only been tested on my PC so there is
no guarantee that it will work for you.

I don't recommend using it for almost all Vista users. It is downright
dangerous. If you have any unsaved work and double click on the sleep icon
(either intentionally or accidentally), you will likely lose your changes
if during Shutdown/Hibernate you get a BSOD. I have tested this in Notepad
and my changes were lost. If you want to take the risks, I'll tell you how
to do it.

Look for the 'Creating a Desktop Sleep or Shutdown Icon in Vista' link on
my webpage.

Please note that there are two complete sets of instructions there, one for
creating a shutdown icon and one for creating a sleep icon.

Perhaps a few of you who like to test Vista would like to report back if
you found the same anomaly I found when selecting the icon from the list of
icons in the properties tab.

I can add instructions for a restart icon if you still want to do that.

Please read all instructions and warnings before you decide that this is a
good idea for you.
I had a webpage showing how to create a Shutdown and Sleep icon in Vista. I
took it down because it is too dangerous. Unsaved data will be lost when
using the shutdown and restart icons. If you get a BSOD when using the
sleep icon, unsaved data to be lost. Then your PC will shutdown and reboot
without of course allowing you to go back to your desktop as it was.

I have also added restart and continue instructions to the document. The
restart icon has the same issues as the shutdown icon. The continue icon
will allow you to stop either the shutdown or restart operation but will not
stop the sleep operation which happens immediately. The continue icon has
issues of its own that I outline in my instructions.

I may look for a safer way to do this if there is enough interest.

EMail me if you still want to do this.

Alan Norton
Reviews: ABIT AN8 SLI, ECS P965T-A & Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H Mb's
Choosing the Right Version Of Vista - Vista Confusion Article
Arizona Pics and Cute Animal Pics
http://www.mindspring.com/~anorton1/

Pecos

Re: desktop sleep shortcut

"Pecos" <anortCutOutThe2on21@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "dwolf" <jojonospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I got one from the tweak program, but the sleep command seems to do more
>>than sleep... anyway doesn't seem to work properly.. doesn't wake up...
>>
>> So is there another way to create a desktop sleep shortcut ?
>>
>> Joel

> From a reply to your previous post:
> I was asked if I could create instructions for a shortcut icon for the
> Vista desktop. I found a way to do it, but it has only been tested on a
> couple of PC's. I have added instructions to the webpage for a desktop
> sleep icon since you asked. This has only been tested on my PC so there
> is
> no guarantee that it will work for you.
>
> I don't recommend using it for almost all Vista users. It is downright
> dangerous. If you have any unsaved work and double click on the sleep
> icon
> (either intentionally or accidentally), you will likely lose your changes
> if during Shutdown/Hibernate you get a BSOD. I have tested this in
> Notepad
> and my changes were lost. If you want to take the risks, I'll tell you
> how
> to do it.
>
> Look for the 'Creating a Desktop Sleep or Shutdown Icon in Vista' link on
> my webpage.
>
> Please note that there are two complete sets of instructions there, one
> for
> creating a shutdown icon and one for creating a sleep icon.
>
> Perhaps a few of you who like to test Vista would like to report back if
> you found the same anomaly I found when selecting the icon from the list
> of
> icons in the properties tab.
>
> I can add instructions for a restart icon if you still want to do that.
>
> Please read all instructions and warnings before you decide that this is a
> good idea for you.
> I had a webpage showing how to create a Shutdown and Sleep icon in Vista.
> I took it down because it is too dangerous. Unsaved data will be lost
> when using the shutdown and restart icons. If you get a BSOD when using
> the sleep icon, unsaved data to be lost. Then your PC will shutdown and
> reboot without of course allowing you to go back to your desktop as it
> was.
>
> I have also added restart and continue instructions to the document. The
> restart icon has the same issues as the shutdown icon. The continue icon
> will allow you to stop either the shutdown or restart operation but will
> not stop the sleep operation which happens immediately. The continue icon
> has issues of its own that I outline in my instructions.
>
> I may look for a safer way to do this if there is enough interest.
>
> EMail me if you still want to do this.

Hi Joel,

I have put my webpage back up:
http://www.mindspring.com/~anorton1/Vista_Icons.html

The batch files and icons are as safe as I can make them. They *shouldn't*
be a problem if you remember to shut down all programs and save your work
before using them. They haven't been tested enough to prove that though.

There may be other problems yet unknown lurking out there with these
processes/procedures so proceed with caution and let me know if you find any
issues.

Read all instructions before you decide that any of these desktop icons are
a good idea for you.

Alan Norton
Reviews: ABIT AN8 SLI, ECS P965T-A & Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H Mb's
Choosing the Right Version Of Vista - Vista Confusion Article
Arizona Pics and Cute Animal Pics
http://www.mindspring.com/~anorton1/

Antonio Amengual

Re: desktop sleep shortcut
try this one creating a new shortcut in desktop and filling the path with
this command
cut and paste below this phrase

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState

if hibernate is already present this command will hibernate your puter
if no present, suspend is done

good luck

Saludos

Antonio

dwolf

Re: desktop sleep shortcut
For me that does something, but cannot wake up from it. The only thing left
is to hit the power button, and the computer restarts..