How many computers can install Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?RHJha2U1MTI=?=

How many computers can install Vista
I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would like to
install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both comuters?
Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for home
use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the rules?
Max

Re: How many computers can install Vista
One license, one computer.

--
But that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Maxwell Bluemeanie

"Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would like
> install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both
> comuters?
> Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for
> home
> use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the rules?

Henry Jones

Re: How many computers can install Vista
With your one copy of Vista, you can install it on any number of computers.
If you have 50 computers at home, you can install it on 50 computers. But
that will only work for 30 days. After that you must ACTIVATE your copies
and that means a valid license must go with EACH copy. So with the above
scenerio, only one copy will work, the other 49 will not.

Microsoft doesn't give their OS away any more :-)

"Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would like
> install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both
> comuters?
> Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for
> home
> use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the rules?

Dave B.

Re: How many computers can install Vista
They never did, they're just enforcing the licensing now.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com
"Henry Jones" <henry@TheCheckIsInTheMail.com> wrote in message
> With your one copy of Vista, you can install it on any number of
> computers. If you have 50 computers at home, you can install it on 50
> computers. But that will only work for 30 days. After that you must
> ACTIVATE your copies and that means a valid license must go with EACH
> copy. So with the above scenerio, only one copy will work, the other 49
> will not.
>

> Microsoft doesn't give their OS away any more :-)

=?Utf-8?B?RHJha2U1MTI=?=

Re: How many computers can install Vista
I have installed my $400 OS one one computer. Now I install it on a second
computer. So how much is the activation for the second computer?

"Henry Jones" wrote:

> With your one copy of Vista, you can install it on any number of computers.
> If you have 50 computers at home, you can install it on 50 computers. But
> that will only work for 30 days. After that you must ACTIVATE your copies
> and that means a valid license must go with EACH copy. So with the above
> scenerio, only one copy will work, the other 49 will not.
>

> Microsoft doesn't give their OS away any more :-)
>

> "Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would like
> > install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both
> > comuters?
> > Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for
> > home
> > use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the rules?

jim

Re: How many computers can install Vista
there is a special offer for ultimate retail vista (I think)

if you get one copy you can get 2 more for 50 dollars each....

it seems like a good offer for a home with 3 computers...

I am wondering if you can resell one of those 2 extra liscences if you dont
need them

somebody else here might fill in the details...

"Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would like
> install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both
> comuters?
> Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for
> home
> use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the rules?

Beck

>I have installed my $400 OS one one computer. Now I install it on a second
> computer. So how much is the activation for the second computer?

If you are in the US there is something about a family pack where you can
get more licenses for a smaller fee. Look around the newsgroup for more
information and links.

jim

Re: How many computers can install Vista
>I have installed my $400 OS one one computer. Now I install it on a second
> computer. So how much is the activation for the second computer?

the same! how do you think bill gates wants to become richer? lol

( I would personally get an OEM if the pc is new-ish)

However....

there is a special offer for ultimate retail vista (I think)

if you get one copy you can get 2 more for 50 dollars each....

it seems like a good offer for a home with 3 computers...

I am wondering if you can resell one of those 2 extra liscences if you dont
need them

somebody else here might fill in the details...

"Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed my $400 OS one one computer. Now I install it on a second
> computer. So how much is the activation for the second computer?
>
> "Henry Jones" wrote:
>
>> With your one copy of Vista, you can install it on any number of
>> computers.
>> If you have 50 computers at home, you can install it on 50 computers.
>> But
>> that will only work for 30 days. After that you must ACTIVATE your
>> copies
>> and that means a valid license must go with EACH copy. So with the above
>> scenerio, only one copy will work, the other 49 will not.
>>

>> Microsoft doesn't give their OS away any more :-)
>>

>> "Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would
>> >like
>> > install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both
>> > comuters?
>> > Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for
>> > home
>> > use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the
>> > rules?

LaRoux

Re: How many computers can install Vista
There is an announced program to offer up to 2 Home Premium licenses for $50
each with the purchase of one Ultimate. Search the previous messages for
"family" for details. I don't believe the redemption site is active yet.

"jim" <1@1.1> wrote in message news:OaBM2$IRHHA.1200@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> there is a special offer for ultimate retail vista (I think)
>
> if you get one copy you can get 2 more for 50 dollars each....
>
> it seems like a good offer for a home with 3 computers...
>
> I am wondering if you can resell one of those 2 extra liscences if you
> dont need them
>
> somebody else here might fill in the details...
>

> "Drake512" <Drake512@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a laptop computer and a desktop computer at home that I would like
>> install Vista. Can I buy one Vista Ultimate and install it on both
>> comuters?
>> Would I need to buy two licences? What if I build another computer for
>> home
>> use, can I install it on three computers at my house? What are the
>> rules?

jim

Re: How many computers can install Vista
but can you sell one of those if you dont need it?
Or are you somehow enslaved with them forever? lol