Confirmation to run a program - make it stop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Chris Barnes

Confirmation to run a program - make it stop
Ok, I can understand - and even like - the fact that vista asks me for
permission before running a program.

But it really should ask only the first time - not every single time I
start the program. Or at least give me a checkbox for "don't ask for
this program again".

Is there a way to tell it that Trillian (3 pro) is a "legit" program?

--
chris
Mamamegs

Re: Confirmation to run a program - make it stop
on 3-5-2007, Chris Barnes supposed :
> Ok, I can understand - and even like - the fact that vista asks me
> for permission before running a program.
>
> But it really should ask only the first time - not every single time
> I start the program. Or at least give me a checkbox for "don't ask
> for this program again".
>

> Is there a way to tell it that Trillian (3 pro) is a "legit" program?

There's something called TeakUAC, that lets you suppress the UAC
prompt,
without turning UAC off.
http://www.tweak-uac.com/what-is-tweak-uac/

--
Mamamegs.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
(Adam Savage)

www.vistabits.nl

MSN:
_*mamamegs@gmail.com*_

Chad Harris

Re: Confirmation to run a program - make it stop
Hi Chris--

You are aware of a Trillian security flaw hopefully that has been pointed
out this week:

'Highly critical' Trillian, Winamp flaws flagged
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=184

so overiding this annoying UAC box may be worthwhile, but I believe just
because the box is there doesn't do anything to overcome the Trillian
security flaw until it gets fixed.

You could try this: Type secpol.msc in the run box>Security Settings>Local
Policy>User Account Control: Run All Administrators in Administrative
Approval Mode>Radio Button in Enable.

You might look at behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users, but
I doubt you can surgically confine that setting to Trillian.

You also might find registry settings that work on this in the
http://forums.ceruleanstudios.com/ searching and particularly using Tips and
Tricks:

http://forums.ceruleanstudios.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Good luck-- and let me know if my first secpol setting modification will
work to help eliminate your prompt.

CH

"Chris Barnes" <chris-barnes@tamu.edu> wrote in message
> Ok, I can understand - and even like - the fact that vista asks me for
> permission before running a program.
>
> But it really should ask only the first time - not every single time I
> start the program. Or at least give me a checkbox for "don't ask for this
> program again".
>

> Is there a way to tell it that Trillian (3 pro) is a "legit" program?
>
> --
> chris

Chris Barnes

Mamamegs wrote:
> on 3-5-2007, Chris Barnes supposed :
>> Ok, I can understand - and even like - the fact that vista asks me
>> for permission before running a program.
>>
>> But it really should ask only the first time - not every single time
>> I start the program. Or at least give me a checkbox for "don't ask
>> for this program again".

> There's something called TeakUAC, that lets you suppress the UAC
> prompt,
> without turning UAC off.
> http://www.tweak-uac.com/what-is-tweak-uac/

That did help - but it's not *quite* exactly what is needed. For
starters - that program only seems to affect the current session.
Rebooting restores UAC back to it's initial state.

Secondly, what is *really* needed is to go ahead and let UAC run (even
for Administrators), but remember what programs have been allowed.

Chris Barnes

Chad Harris wrote:
> Hi Chris--
>
> You are aware of a Trillian security flaw hopefully that has been pointed
> out this week:
>
> 'Highly critical' Trillian, Winamp flaws flagged
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=184

It's been patched.

> Good luck-- and let me know if my first secpol setting modification will
> work to help eliminate your prompt.

I'll give that a shot and let you know.

--
chris