Cannot turn DEP off for this program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Bill

Cannot turn DEP off for this program
I have an executable that links with Crystal Reports. On XP I can add this
executable to the DEP exception list. However on VISTA, when I try to add
this executable to the exception list, it won't allow it. I get this message
"This program must run with data execution protection(DEP) enabled. You
cannot turn off DEP for this program."

Does anyone know what triggers this inability to add it to the exception list?
--
Thanks,
Bill
Thomas Olsen [MSFT]

Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program
Hello Bill,

There are three possible causes for why you cannot add the app to the
exceptions list:
1.) This is a 64-bit application.
2.) The application is in the Windows directory.
3.) The application has been compiled for Vista and, therefore, DEP is
enforced for it.

I hope this information helps you.

Bill

Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program
Thanks for the info Thomas. This app is not 64-bit, it is not in the windows
directory but it is under the program files directory, and it has not been
compiled for VISTA. I've been all over msdn, technet and other web sites and
have found info on DEP, but not specific info on this issue.
--
Thanks,
Bill

"Thomas Olsen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
> There are three possible causes for why you cannot add the app to the
> exceptions list:
> 1.) This is a 64-bit application.
> 2.) The application is in the Windows directory.
> 3.) The application has been compiled for Vista and, therefore, DEP is
> enforced for it.
>
> I hope this information helps you.

alr44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have an executable that links with Crystal Reports. On XP I can add this
executable to the DEP exception list. However on VISTA, when I try to add
this executable to the exception list, it won't allow it. I get this message
"This program must run with data execution protection(DEP) enabled. You
cannot turn off DEP for this program."

Does anyone know what triggers this inability to add it to the exception list?
--
Thanks,
----
Bill
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000
Hey guys. I usually find answers to all my problems with computers on one forum or another.Unfortunately,not today.I found comonality here but not an answer.Do you mean to tell me that MS has Vista so locked up and controlled witha 64 bt version I will continue to have firefox,flock keep crashing all the time.I have done the usual dep process to change things.It will not do it for theses programs.Some one has to know a work around this.I hate to go deeper into windows to do it.Thanks
Tyro

Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program
And your problem is?
BTW: you should never, ever, not in your lifetime, turn DEP off.

Tyro

"alr44" <alr44.3ldasb@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Bill;182525 Wrote:
>> I have an executable that links with Crystal Reports. On XP I can add
>> this
>> executable to the DEP exception list. However on VISTA, when I try to
>> add
>> this executable to the exception list, it won't allow it. I get this
>> message
>> "This program must run with data execution protection(DEP) enabled.
>> You
>> cannot turn off DEP for this program."
>>
>> Does anyone know what triggers this inability to add it to the
>> exception list?
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> ----
>> Bill

> 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000
> Hey guys. I usually find answers to all my problems with computers on
> one forum or another.Unfortunately,not today.I found comonality here but
> not an answer.Do you mean to tell me that MS has Vista so locked up and
> controlled witha 64 bt version I will continue to have firefox,flock
> keep crashing all the time.I have done the usual dep process to change
> things.It will not do it for theses programs.Some one has to know a work
> around this.I hate to go deeper into windows to do it.Thanks
>

> --
> alr44

undisclosed

Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program

hi, i have this problem too, it happens with my mobile broadband program
that was designed for vista sometimes. I really don't want to disable
all the dep but it's a pain in the butt having to restart the computer
and trying again. any work around for specific program...

--
hilt_m
Jon

"undisclosed" wrote in message

> hi, i have this problem too, it happens with my mobile broadband program
> that was designed for vista sometimes. I really don't want to disable
> all the dep but it's a pain in the butt having to restart the computer
> and trying again. any work around for specific program...

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Settings (under
performance) > DEP (tab)

Add your program as an exception

--
Jon

undisclosed

Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Settings (under
performance) > DEP (tab)

Add your program as an exception

no can't do that, it comes up with "This program must run with data
execution protection(DEP) enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this
program."

Probably because the program was designed for vista.

--
hilt_m

A person probably is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot turn DEP off for this program
I would also like to get a solution to this problem. In fact, i registered an account here just because of that.

To elaborate, here's my problem:

I got Team Fortress 2 when it became free. I can open it and play in training mode just fine, but can't play online because the DEP system blocks the file called hl2.exe from sending my client information to other servers.

I have tried the method described in this thread; Changing the settings for DEP, and attempting to add the hl2.exe program to the exceptions' list. That just gives me the 'This program must run with DEP enabled. You can't disable DEP for this program.' error message, which has no other options than 'ok'. I've looked at the 'Properties' window for the hl2.exe file, and all security- or compatibility-related options found there are either irrelevant or can't be changed.

I'm using a family computer, so I'd prefer not having to do anything radical or potentially dangerous to it. Also, I may appear to be whatever the opposite of tech-savvy is called. That's partly because I am, and partly because everything on my computer is in Swedish, so I have to guess what the exact translations are whenever I follow instructions written in English.

Thanks in advance for any potential help!