very slow bootup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Noor Motani

very slow bootup

From: "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
To: "Noor motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM

I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes
good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the
event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of
degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG resident
shield slows down.
When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears
for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks
out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system
idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.

I appreciate any help available.

Best Regards
Noor Motani

Peter Foldes

Re: very slow bootup
Does the behavior persists if you disable all your Startup programs

--
Peter

"Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> From: "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
> To: "Noor motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
> Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
> Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM
>
> I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes good
> 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top inspiron with 4 Gb
> RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the event log and diagnose where
> the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of degradation found in loading drivers
> like sound and video. Also AVG resident shield slows down.
> When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears for
> two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks out for
> another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the icons are slowly
> appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system idle mode, it is ten to
> twelve minutes.
>
> I appreciate any help available.
>
> Best Regards
> Noor Motani

Flavius

Re: very slow bootup

Noor Motani;1128244 Wrote:
> From: "Noor Motani" <n.motani@xxxxxx>
> To: "Noor motani" <n.motani@xxxxxx>
> Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
> Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM
>
> I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It
> takes
> good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
> inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter
> the
> event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot
> of
> degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG
> resident
> shield slows down.
> When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser
> appears
> for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it
> blanks
> out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
> icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place -
> system
> idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.
>
> I appreciate any help available.
>
> Best Regards
> Noor Motani

So long boot time is caused trouble with prefetch or with any
drivers,or any external network drives

Stop & disable Superfetch service,and empty *C:\Windows\Prefetch*
folder,next run cmd.exe with administrative previlliges and type:

*Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

*+restart

If no help unplug all network drives if it also no help use Windows
Perforformace Analysis Tool to diagnose problem 'Windows Performance
Analysis Tools'
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/perf.../cc825801.aspx)

during diagnosing the source of problem you have to estimate drivers
Here you have easy guide how it use 'Speed up boot time in Windows
Vista using Windows Performance Toolkit'
(http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/speed...windows-vista/)

--
Flavius
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: very slow bootup
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:15:55 -0600, "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
wrote:

> I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes
> good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
> inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the
> event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of
> degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG resident
> shield slows down.
> When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears
> for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks
> out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
> icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system
> idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.

My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how long it
takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed is
otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about (although
your 10-12 minutes is unusually long). Most people start their
computers once a day or even less frequently. In the overall scheme of
things, even a few minutes to start up isn't very important.
Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the morning, then
go get my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know
how long it took to boot and I don't care.

However if you do want to address it, it may be because of what
programs start automatically, and you may want to stop some of them
from starting that way. On each program you don't want to start
automatically, check its Options to see if it has the choice not to
start (make sure you actually choose the option not to run it, not
just a "don't show icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped
that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run
line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to
start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get
more information about these with google searches and asking about
specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
The C. [MCSE] Privacy & Disclosure

Re: very slow bootup
Peter Foldes is a blind peasant fool! His daddy should have pulled out!
--
Computer/Software Tech.

Make it a great day!

Charles Richmond

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Does the behavior persists if you disable all your Startup programs
>
> --
> Peter

> "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > From: "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
> > To: "Noor motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
> > Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
> > Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM
> >
> > I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It takes good
> > 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top inspiron with 4 Gb
> > RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter the event log and diagnose where
> > the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot of degradation found in loading drivers
> > like sound and video. Also AVG resident shield slows down.
> > When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears for
> > two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks out for
> > another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the icons are slowly
> > appearing. By the time complete boot is in place - system idle mode, it is ten to
> > twelve minutes.
> >
> > I appreciate any help available.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Noor Motani

Noor Motani

Re: very slow bootup
Yes. If I disable all startup programs, it is the same. However, if I
disable the startup services, it boots faster but without security as it
disables AVG services too.

--
Best Regards
Noor Motani

> Does the behavior persists if you disable all your Startup programs
>
> --
> Peter

> "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> From: "Noor Motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
>> To: "Noor motani" <n.motani@shaw.ca>
>> Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
>> Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM
>>
>> I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It
>> takes good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk
>> top inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter
>> the event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a
>> lot of degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also
>> AVG resident shield slows down.
>> When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser appears
>> for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it blanks
>> out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
>> icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place -
>> system idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.
>>
>> I appreciate any help available.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Noor Motani

Noor Motani

Re: very slow bootup
Thank you for help. I stopped the services prefetch and set it to manual.
Then I emptied c:\windows\prefetch. Next when I ran the command
"Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,Process IdleTasks". I received an error
"ERROR in advapi32.dll
Missing entry:ProcessIdle"
I would appreciate further instructions.

--
Best Regards
Noor Motani
"Flavius" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Noor Motani;1128244 Wrote:
>> From: "Noor Motani" <n.motani@xxxxxx>
>> To: "Noor motani" <n.motani@xxxxxx>
>> Subject: Very Slow Boot Vista 32
>> Date: September-03-09 10:14 PM
>>
>> I am experiencing very slow boot up of Vista Home Premium 32 bit. It
>> takes
>> good 10 - 12 minutes to completely boot up. I am using Dell desk top
>> inspiron with 4 Gb RAM. I did some research and learnt how to filter
>> the
>> event log and diagnose where the degradation occurs. In my case, a lot
>> of
>> degradation found in loading drivers like sound and video. Also AVG
>> resident
>> shield slows down.
>> When I first turn on the system, black screen with a mouse curser
>> appears
>> for two - three minutes. Then Welcome message appears and again it
>> blanks
>> out for another two to three minutes. Then the desk top appears and the
>> icons are slowly appearing. By the time complete boot is in place -
>> system
>> idle mode, it is ten to twelve minutes.
>>
>> I appreciate any help available.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Noor Motani

> So long boot time is caused trouble with prefetch or with any
> drivers,or any external network drives
>
> Stop & disable Superfetch service,and empty *C:\Windows\Prefetch*
> folder,next run cmd.exe with administrative previlliges and type:
>
> *Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>
> *+restart
>
> If no help unplug all network drives if it also no help use Windows
> Perforformace Analysis Tool to diagnose problem 'Windows Performance
> Analysis Tools'
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/perf.../cc825801.aspx)
>
> during diagnosing the source of problem you have to estimate drivers
> Here you have easy guide how it use 'Speed up boot time in Windows
> Vista using Windows Performance Toolkit'
> (http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/speed...windows-vista/)
>

> --
> Flavius

Flavius

Re: very slow bootup

Noor Motani;1128804 Wrote:
> Thank you for help. I stopped the services prefetch and set it to
> manual.
> Then I emptied c:\windows\prefetch. Next when I ran the command
> "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,Process IdleTasks". I received an error
> "ERROR in advapi32.dll
> Missing entry:ProcessIdle"
> I would appreciate further instructions.

You didn't elevate cmd.exe with admin rights thus you have this
error.Run cmd.exe with admin rights (right click on this file as admin)
more details how to do that
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/18...nd-prompt.html

and repeat this command

--
Flavius
Noor Motani

Re: very slow bootup
I did run cmd as administrator and same error. This time the missing entry
is process.

--

> Noor Motani;1128804 Wrote:
>> Thank you for help. I stopped the services prefetch and set it to
>> manual.
>> Then I emptied c:\windows\prefetch. Next when I ran the command
>> "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,Process IdleTasks". I received an error
>> "ERROR in advapi32.dll
>> Missing entry:ProcessIdle"
>> I would appreciate further instructions.
>>

> You didn't elevate cmd.exe with admin rights thus you have this
> error.Run cmd.exe with admin rights (right click on this file as admin)
> more details how to do that
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/18...nd-prompt.html
>
> and repeat this command
>

> --
> Flavius

mikeyhsd

Re: very slow bootup
I usually edit the registry and change the prefetch setting from 3 to 0 (zero). 3 different entries.

stopping the service maybe why you are getting the error.

mikeyhsd@lamparty.net