SD/MMC card slot not working !

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

mblack

SD/MMC card slot not working !

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here we go
:
HP Pavilion Slimline
Running Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit
Have had for some time now a problem with all my,
SD/Mini/MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile, card slot it just won't read anything of any
kind of SD/MMC card, tried everything i can and can't seem to get it to
work could anyone please help ?

--
mblack
whs

Re: SD/MMC card slot not working !

Does the little green light by the card reader go on when you stick the
card in? On some systems, the power to the reader is cut off if you use
"safely remove" before you pull out the card. Safely Remove must not be
used - use "Eject" instead. But when the power is off, it usually comes
back with a reboot.

--
whs

colgate1416 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: SD/MMC card slot not working !
Yes little green light does come on, haven't done a reboot yet but can you explain a little bit more as to what you mean please !
Wao

Re: SD/MMC card slot not working !
Please, read below.

> Does the little green light by the card reader go on when you stick the
> card in? On some systems, the power to the reader is cut off if you use
> "safely remove" before you pull out the card. Safely Remove must not be
> used - use "Eject" instead. But when the power is off, it usually comes
> back with a reboot.

Must I understand that one never has to use "Safely Remove" be it for an
SD/MMC card or an USB device like a memory key or a camera cable? I've
always used "Safely Remove" which makes the card reader slot / USB device
disappear but all I need to do to restore that device is plugging something
in again.

That being said, what are the practical differences between the "Safely
Remove" and "Eject" commands?

Thank you in advance.

whs

Re: SD/MMC card slot not working !

I really don't know what the exact differences are. But "safely remove"
shuts the power off for card readers on some systems (not on all). That
is why "eject" is recommended for card readers. For all other USB
devices you can use "safely remove" - as far as I know.

--
whs

colgate1416 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: SD/MMC card slot not working !
Thankyou i finally understood exactly what you meant, I:E right click on the drive that is being used and click eject then remove card, done it so once again !
THANKYOU VERY MUCH !

Last edited by colgate1416 : 08-31-2009 at 14:24.
Ian D

"mblack" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here we go
> :
> HP Pavilion Slimline
> Running Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit
> Have had for some time now a problem with all my,
> SD/Mini/MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile, card slot it just won't read anything of any
> kind of SD/MMC card, tried everything i can and can't seem to get it to
> work could anyone please help ?
>

> --
> mblack

What size SD cards are you trying to read? If they are
over 2GB, the reader must be able to read high density
SDHC cards. Also, make sure the HP driver for the slot
is enabled. It may need an update.

Saint

Re: SD/MMC card slot not working !
Had the same thing happen to me and I sent a email to HP and the problem
happened because the computer installed SP2 Update on my x64 SYSTEM, I
downloaded the new update bios for my computer and everything is working
again.
Steve

Ian D;1125083 Wrote:
> "mblack" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:a8e6a7eda3c3545cc2925cb6654c52eb@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Not sure if this is the right place to put this question but here we

> > go
> > > :
> > > HP Pavilion Slimline
> > > Running Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit
> > > Have had for some time now a problem with all my,
> > > SD/Mini/MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile, card slot it just won't read anything of

> > any
> > > kind of SD/MMC card, tried everything i can and can't seem to get it

> > > work could anyone please help ?
> > >

> > > --
> > > mblack > >

> What size SD cards are you trying to read? If they are
> over 2GB, the reader must be able to read high density
> SDHC cards. Also, make sure the HP driver for the slot
> is enabled. It may need an update.

Good point. Systems from early 2007 or older are usually unable to read
SDHC cards.

--
whs
Gene E. Bloch

Here's what whs wrote on 8/31/09:
> I really don't know what the exact differences are. But "safely remove"
> shuts the power off for card readers on some systems (not on all). That
> is why "eject" is recommended for card readers. For all other USB
> devices you can use "safely remove" - as far as I know.

To clarify: this is for built-in card readers.

Well, it really happens for external USB card readers as well, but you
can easily restart an external reader by unplugging and replugging it.
Actually, a built-in reader works the same way, but you have to
partially disassemble the computer to unplug and replug it :-)

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com