Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2009
Sage - John Leonard
 

Posts: n/a
Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding
Using Vista Busniess on Dell Optiplex 755.

Whenever I right click a folder or file, Windows Explorer goes into Not
Responding.

I have reset the folders and run sfc /scannow.

No changes!

When I run in Safe Mode - all is ok??

any thoughts?

thx

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding
Sage - John Leonard wrote:

> Using Vista Busniess on Dell Optiplex 755.
>
> Whenever I right click a folder or file, Windows Explorer goes into Not
> Responding.
>
> I have reset the folders and run sfc /scannow.
>
> No changes!
>
> When I run in Safe Mode - all is ok??


Problems with right-clicking are usually caused by third-party software that
has inserted itself into the context menu. In your case, the culprit is
something running in Regular Mode. The easiest way to troubleshoot this is
by using the free ShellExView program. Here are some links about it, too (it
doesn't matter that they reference XP):

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace objects -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html - ShellExView

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2009
Sage - John Leonard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding
Tried this and it did not seem to help.

I have mostly Microsoft for "Context Menu"

Even if I right click an icon (shortcut) on my Desktop - it hangs (Not
Responding)?

Any other thoughts?

thx
"Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:OAoJ72oJKHA.6016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Sage - John Leonard wrote:
>
>> Using Vista Busniess on Dell Optiplex 755.
>>
>> Whenever I right click a folder or file, Windows Explorer goes into Not
>> Responding.
>>
>> I have reset the folders and run sfc /scannow.
>>
>> No changes!
>>
>> When I run in Safe Mode - all is ok??

>
> Problems with right-clicking are usually caused by third-party software
> that
> has inserted itself into the context menu. In your case, the culprit is
> something running in Regular Mode. The easiest way to troubleshoot this is
> by using the free ShellExView program. Here are some links about it, too
> (it
> doesn't matter that they reference XP):
>
> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
> objects -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
>
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html - ShellExView
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2009
Sage - John Leonard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding
As implied below, I di all the Non Microsoft Context Menus - no luck!

I ran a couple of Restore Points and they did not install correctly?

So I un-did them.

Does this al mean I should do a Vista Repair?

If I do will that take care of the Windows explorer Hanging/Not Responding
problem?

thx


"Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
news:C4397623-AD17-477A-99CE-A18BB536B292@microsoft.com...
> Tried this and it did not seem to help.
>
> I have mostly Microsoft for "Context Menu"
>
> Even if I right click an icon (shortcut) on my Desktop - it hangs (Not
> Responding)?
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> thx
> "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:OAoJ72oJKHA.6016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Sage - John Leonard wrote:
>>
>>> Using Vista Busniess on Dell Optiplex 755.
>>>
>>> Whenever I right click a folder or file, Windows Explorer goes into Not
>>> Responding.
>>>
>>> I have reset the folders and run sfc /scannow.
>>>
>>> No changes!
>>>
>>> When I run in Safe Mode - all is ok??

>>
>> Problems with right-clicking are usually caused by third-party software
>> that
>> has inserted itself into the context menu. In your case, the culprit is
>> something running in Regular Mode. The easiest way to troubleshoot this
>> is
>> by using the free ShellExView program. Here are some links about it, too
>> (it
>> doesn't matter that they reference XP):
>>
>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>
>> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
>> objects -
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
>>
>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html - ShellExView
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2009
Sage - John Leonard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding
Ran a Restore Point in Safe mode and al my problems with right clicking
went away.

thx for you help


"Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
news:0AD47D64-8EEF-4C1B-8EAB-4995CCE16810@microsoft.com...
> As implied below, I di all the Non Microsoft Context Menus - no luck!
>
> I ran a couple of Restore Points and they did not install correctly?
>
> So I un-did them.
>
> Does this al mean I should do a Vista Repair?
>
> If I do will that take care of the Windows explorer Hanging/Not Responding
> problem?
>
> thx
>
>
> "Sage - John Leonard" <sagegrp@nowhere> wrote in message
> news:C4397623-AD17-477A-99CE-A18BB536B292@microsoft.com...
>> Tried this and it did not seem to help.
>>
>> I have mostly Microsoft for "Context Menu"
>>
>> Even if I right click an icon (shortcut) on my Desktop - it hangs (Not
>> Responding)?
>>
>> Any other thoughts?
>>
>> thx
>> "Malke" <malke@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:OAoJ72oJKHA.6016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Sage - John Leonard wrote:
>>>
>>>> Using Vista Busniess on Dell Optiplex 755.
>>>>
>>>> Whenever I right click a folder or file, Windows Explorer goes into Not
>>>> Responding.
>>>>
>>>> I have reset the folders and run sfc /scannow.
>>>>
>>>> No changes!
>>>>
>>>> When I run in Safe Mode - all is ok??
>>>
>>> Problems with right-clicking are usually caused by third-party software
>>> that
>>> has inserted itself into the context menu. In your case, the culprit is
>>> something running in Regular Mode. The easiest way to troubleshoot this
>>> is
>>> by using the free ShellExView program. Here are some links about it, too
>>> (it
>>> doesn't matter that they reference XP):
>>>
>>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>>
>>> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
>>> objects -
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
>>>
>>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html - ShellExView
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> MS-MVP
>>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>>>

>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2009
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
terminator_007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Right click and Windows Explorer hangs/not responding
Hi Brb

I am also suffering from same problem...whenevr i open any folder it takes too much time to open.Whenever i right click on any icon or open my computer it takes too much time and a green bar on top of page runs on and on.. plz helpppp i have scand my laptop with F secure and mcafee nothing found.

I have sony laptop with 4gb RAM window vista home premimum.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage - John Leonard View Post
Ran a Restore Point in Safe mode and al my problems with right clicking
went away.

thx for you help


"Sage - John Leonard" wrote in message
news:0AD47D64-8EEF-4C1B-8EAB-4995CCE16810@microsoft.com...
> As implied below, I di all the Non Microsoft Context Menus - no luck!
>
> I ran a couple of Restore Points and they did not install correctly?
>
> So I un-did them.
>
> Does this al mean I should do a Vista Repair?
>
> If I do will that take care of the Windows explorer Hanging/Not Responding
> problem?
>
> thx
>
>
> "Sage - John Leonard" wrote in message
> news:C4397623-AD17-477A-99CE-A18BB536B292@microsoft.com...
>> Tried this and it did not seem to help.
>>
>> I have mostly Microsoft for "Context Menu"
>>
>> Even if I right click an icon (shortcut) on my Desktop - it hangs (Not
>> Responding)?
>>
>> Any other thoughts?
>>
>> thx
>> "Malke" wrote in message
>> news:OAoJ72oJKHA.6016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Sage - John Leonard wrote:
>>>
>>>> Using Vista Busniess on Dell Optiplex 755.
>>>>
>>>> Whenever I right click a folder or file, Windows Explorer goes into Not
>>>> Responding.
>>>>
>>>> I have reset the folders and run sfc /scannow.
>>>>
>>>> No changes!
>>>>
>>>> When I run in Safe Mode - all is ok??
>>>
>>> Problems with right-clicking are usually caused by third-party software
>>> that
>>> has inserted itself into the context menu. In your case, the culprit is
>>> something running in Regular Mode. The easiest way to troubleshoot this
>>> is
>>> by using the free ShellExView program. Here are some links about it, too
>>> (it
>>> doesn't matter that they reference XP):
>>>
>>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -
>>> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
>>>
>>> Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
>>> objects -
>>> Manage the context-menu entries for files, folders, drives and Namespace objects
>>>
>>> ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows - ShellExView
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> MS-MVP
>>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>>> index
>>>

>>

>
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 930371 The Windows Sidebar may stop responding if you click outside a gadget flyout window in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 933771 Windows Explorer stops responding or the Svchost.exe process stops responding when you try to copy encrypted files to a WebDAV resource in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 937713 An access violation occurs in the Explorer.exe process when you right-click a shared color printer and then click "Properties" in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 940508 In Windows Vista, a USB device may lose data if you right-click the device in Windows Explorer and then click Eject KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Windows explorer not responding, volume E: not responding =?Utf-8?B?QmFoYQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 4 04-10-2007 23:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120