Corrupted Desktop Icons

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Microsoft

Corrupted Desktop Icons
Today I the icons on the desktop that represent shortcuts have all suddenly
changed so that the icon seems to be behind what I think is the Vista
default for a link to a non-existent program
All the shortcuts are still working and if I try to change it to the
(correct) icon shown in properties nothing changes.

Can anyone advise me what I might have done to cause this or, more
importantly, advise me what I need to do to correct it.?

I spent several hours searching the net for a solution but so far I've found
nothing.
I've also restore my system to a point 4 days before this fault occurred but
it has made no difference

Any help will be much appreciated

Brink

Re: Corrupted Desktop Icons

Hello,

If you mean the small arrow overlay icon on the shortcuts, then this
can show you how to restore them.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...cut-arrow.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
'*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Chorks

Re: Corrupted Desktop Icons
Thanks, that did the trick.

I looked at the current entry in the registry and it was pointing at
c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\blank.ico
The info subfolder didn't exist

Thanks again

"Brink" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> If you mean the small arrow overlay icon on the shortcuts, then this
> can show you how to restore them.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...cut-arrow.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> Microsoft;1119642 Wrote:
>> Today I the icons on the desktop that represent shortcuts have all
>> suddenly
>> changed so that the icon seems to be behind what I think is the Vista
>> default for a link to a non-existent program
>> All the shortcuts are still working and if I try to change it to the
>> (correct) icon shown in properties nothing changes.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me what I might have done to cause this or, more
>> importantly, advise me what I need to do to correct it.?
>>
>> I spent several hours searching the net for a solution but so far I've
>> found
>> nothing.
>> I've also restore my system to a point 4 days before this fault
>> occurred but
>> it has made no difference
>>
>> Any help will be much appreciated

> --
> Brink
>
> '*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
> (https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)
> '*Windows Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

Brink

Re: Corrupted Desktop Icons

You're welcome Chorks. I'm happy to hear that you got it sorted.