Wiping registry back to factory settings

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

amadeusmozart

Wiping registry back to factory settings

I have been having troubles with my registry lately, namely a rootkit
apparently lodging itself in there. I reformatted my computer back to
factory settings with the recovery discs, but I'm still having problems.
Does using my manufacturer's recovery discs not wipe my registry and
start from scratch back to factory settings? If not, how do I do that?

--
amadeusmozart
Malke

Re: Wiping registry back to factory settings
amadeusmozart wrote:

> I have been having troubles with my registry lately, namely a rootkit
> apparently lodging itself in there. I reformatted my computer back to
> factory settings with the recovery discs, but I'm still having problems.
> Does using my manufacturer's recovery discs not wipe my registry and
> start from scratch back to factory settings? If not, how do I do that?

Restoring your computer to factory condition by doing a full destructive
restore will remove any rootkits/viruses/other malware. However, there is no
way for us to know what you actually did or what is really wrong with your
computer.

To find out how to do a full destructive factory restore look in your
computer manual, on the computer mftr.'s website, or contact their tech
support.

Of course, your diagnosis of what is wrong with the machine may be
incorrect. If doing a full destructive factory restore doesn't fix whatever
issues you are having then perhaps you have hardware failures. Or perhaps
you are reinstalling the malware afterwards. A viable solution might be for
you to take the machine to a competent local computer tech. This won't be
someone from a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Your choice,
naturally.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Colin Barnhorst

"amadeusmozart" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have been having troubles with my registry lately, namely a rootkit
> apparently lodging itself in there. I reformatted my computer back to
> factory settings with the recovery discs, but I'm still having problems.
> Does using my manufacturer's recovery discs not wipe my registry and
> start from scratch back to factory settings? If not, how do I do that?
>

> --
> amadeusmozart

Yes, restoring to factory condition includes resetting the registry
completely. How do you know there is a rootkit on the system? A rootkit
should not survive a restoration. Have you contacted the computer
manufacturer?