This copy of Windows must be activated . . .

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

churin

This copy of Windows must be activated . . .
A message says "This copy of Windows must be activated . . . Do you want
to activate now?" So, I click "OK" then a new message says "Already
activated" I click "OK" to exit. "Logging off. Saving personal
settings" Then the first message as above comes back to repeat the same
thing.

What I did is to replace the hard drive and restore the backup to it.
The same message was displayed when it booted the first time after
restoring the image but the process did not get into a loop as above and
it became bootable. I tried restoring the image again but this time
symptom is the same as above.

What would be the way out other than a clean install?
MICHAEL

Re: This copy of Windows must be activated . . .
When your computer boots up, there should be an option
to use the computer in reduced functionality mode, choose
that option and then follow these instructions:
http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-56073-1.html

Once you've reset your grace period, you'll need to phone
in your activation, they will give you a new key. Tell them what
you did, and you won't have a problem. Takes about 10 minutes.

-Michael

* churin:
> A message says "This copy of Windows must be activated . . . Do you want
> to activate now?" So, I click "OK" then a new message says "Already
> activated" I click "OK" to exit. "Logging off. Saving personal
> settings" Then the first message as above comes back to repeat the same
> thing.
>
> What I did is to replace the hard drive and restore the backup to it.
> The same message was displayed when it booted the first time after
> restoring the image but the process did not get into a loop as above and
> it became bootable. I tried restoring the image again but this time
> symptom is the same as above.
>
> What would be the way out other than a clean install?

churin

Re: This copy of Windows must be activated . . .
I have just come to realize that the problem is not about Windows Vista
but Windows XP x64.

There are Windows Vista x64 and Windows XP x64 which are installed in a
HDD. I usually use Windows Vista x86 or Windows XP x86 installed in
another HDD. The problem was encountered when I attempt to boot Windows
XP x64.

There is no option available to use the PC in a reduced functionality
mode. Besides it says "It is already activated" so this does not seems
to be a problem to get it activated.

MICHAEL wrote:
> When your computer boots up, there should be an option
> to use the computer in reduced functionality mode, choose
> that option and then follow these instructions:
> http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-56073-1.html
>
> Once you've reset your grace period, you'll need to phone
> in your activation, they will give you a new key. Tell them what
> you did, and you won't have a problem. Takes about 10 minutes.
>
> -Michael
>
> * churin:
>> A message says "This copy of Windows must be activated . . . Do you want
>> to activate now?" So, I click "OK" then a new message says "Already
>> activated" I click "OK" to exit. "Logging off. Saving personal
>> settings" Then the first message as above comes back to repeat the same
>> thing.
>>
>> What I did is to replace the hard drive and restore the backup to it.
>> The same message was displayed when it booted the first time after
>> restoring the image but the process did not get into a loop as above and
>> it became bootable. I tried restoring the image again but this time
>> symptom is the same as above.
>>
>> What would be the way out other than a clean install?

Alias

churin wrote:
> A message says "This copy of Windows must be activated . . . Do you want
> to activate now?" So, I click "OK" then a new message says "Already
> activated" I click "OK" to exit. "Logging off. Saving personal
> settings" Then the first message as above comes back to repeat the same
> thing.
>
> What I did is to replace the hard drive and restore the backup to it.
> The same message was displayed when it booted the first time after
> restoring the image but the process did not get into a loop as above and
> it became bootable. I tried restoring the image again but this time
> symptom is the same as above.
>
> What would be the way out other than a clean install?

Once again, here's proof that activation only inconveniences and
confuses legit user and does nothing to stop piracy.

Alias
Richard Urban

Re: This copy of Windows must be activated . . .
I believe that it does, in effect, lower (not eliminate) piracy.

I believe the average person who has "borrowed" an operating system from a
friend, when presented with the message that his operating system can't be
activated, will NOT make that call - for fear of getting in trouble or in
fear of causing problems for his friend.

After all, many do not know that you are not supposed to do this (not that
it is against the law - that, in fact, has never been proven in a court of
law).

One of my younger brothers called me up 3 years ago and asked what he should
do. He had gotten a copy of a Windows XP CD from a friend.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Alias" <aka@masked&anonymous.at> wrote in message
> churin wrote:
>> A message says "This copy of Windows must be activated . . . Do you want
>> to activate now?" So, I click "OK" then a new message says "Already
>> activated" I click "OK" to exit. "Logging off. Saving personal settings"
>> Then the first message as above comes back to repeat the same thing.
>>
>> What I did is to replace the hard drive and restore the backup to it. The
>> same message was displayed when it booted the first time after restoring
>> the image but the process did not get into a loop as above and it became
>> bootable. I tried restoring the image again but this time symptom is the
>> same as above.
>>
>> What would be the way out other than a clean install?

> Once again, here's proof that activation only inconveniences and confuses
> legit user and does nothing to stop piracy.
>
> Alias

Alias

Richard Urban wrote:
> I believe that it does, in effect, lower (not eliminate) piracy.
>
> I believe the average person who has "borrowed" an operating system from
> a friend, when presented with the message that his operating system
> can't be activated, will NOT make that call - for fear of getting in
> trouble or in fear of causing problems for his friend.
>
> After all, many do not know that you are not supposed to do this (not
> that it is against the law - that, in fact, has never been proven in a
> court of law).
>
> One of my younger brothers called me up 3 years ago and asked what he
> should do. He had gotten a copy of a Windows XP CD from a friend.

Maybe it reduces the amount of people who unknowingly install a pirated
version of Windows but, when one considers that pirated copies of XP do
not need activation, it's doubtful. It's more likely that they find out
when they try to become "genuine".

It does not stop people who *knowingly* install a pirated version.

Alias
Leythos

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:54:30 +0200, Alias wrote:

> Richard Urban wrote:
>> I believe that it does, in effect, lower (not eliminate) piracy.
>>
>> I believe the average person who has "borrowed" an operating system from
>> a friend, when presented with the message that his operating system
>> can't be activated, will NOT make that call - for fear of getting in
>> trouble or in fear of causing problems for his friend.
>>
>> After all, many do not know that you are not supposed to do this (not
>> that it is against the law - that, in fact, has never been proven in a
>> court of law).
>>
>> One of my younger brothers called me up 3 years ago and asked what he
>> should do. He had gotten a copy of a Windows XP CD from a friend.
>>

> Maybe it reduces the amount of people who unknowingly install a pirated
> version of Windows but, when one considers that pirated copies of XP do
> not need activation, it's doubtful. It's more likely that they find out
> when they try to become "genuine".
>
> It does not stop people who *knowingly* install a pirated version.

Yes, it does. I know several people that have tried to install pirated
versions and been unable to do so. It's no perfect, but in the hands of
the non-technical it works well.

--
Leythos
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Alias

Leythos wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:54:30 +0200, Alias wrote:
>
>> Richard Urban wrote:
>>> I believe that it does, in effect, lower (not eliminate) piracy.
>>>
>>> I believe the average person who has "borrowed" an operating system from
>>> a friend, when presented with the message that his operating system
>>> can't be activated, will NOT make that call - for fear of getting in
>>> trouble or in fear of causing problems for his friend.
>>>
>>> After all, many do not know that you are not supposed to do this (not
>>> that it is against the law - that, in fact, has never been proven in a
>>> court of law).
>>>
>>> One of my younger brothers called me up 3 years ago and asked what he
>>> should do. He had gotten a copy of a Windows XP CD from a friend.
>>>

>> Maybe it reduces the amount of people who unknowingly install a pirated
>> version of Windows but, when one considers that pirated copies of XP do
>> not need activation, it's doubtful. It's more likely that they find out
>> when they try to become "genuine".
>>
>> It does not stop people who *knowingly* install a pirated version.

> Yes, it does. I know several people that have tried to install pirated
> versions and been unable to do so. It's no perfect, but in the hands of
> the non-technical it works well.

I guess the crackers in Europe are more skilled than the crackers that
provide the software for the people you know are because no pirated copy
needs to be activated as I stated and you ignored. And, whenever MS
comes up with another lame anti piracy program, a crack is posted on the
Spanish Usenet and all over the Net the very next day. It's an losing
battle that MS is waging and the paying customers should not be made to
stand in the crossfire or be inconvenienced by it.

And, one mo time, I wrote:

Maybe it reduces the amount of people who unknowingly install a pirated
version of Windows but, when one considers that pirated copies of XP do
not need activation, it's doubtful.

Sooo, if cracked copies don't need to be activated, and they don't,
you're, once again, lying through your teeth. You don't know *anybody*
who couldn't install a pirated copy of XP.

Alias, still waiting for an apology for your accusation that I "fled"
the USA but not expecting it from the low life that Leythos really is.
Leythos

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:06:14 +0200, Alias wrote:

> Alias, still waiting for an apology for your accusation that I "fled"
> the USA but not expecting it from the low life that Leythos really is.

Keep waiting - I say you fled the USA, you say anything you want, it
doesn't disprove my statement and there is not a single chance in your
life that you'll get an apology from me until you come clean/honest on all
your trolling BS.

--
Leythos
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Nina DiBoy

Leythos wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 01:06:14 +0200, Alias wrote:
>> Alias, still waiting for an apology for your accusation that I "fled"
>> the USA but not expecting it from the low life that Leythos really is.

> Keep waiting - I say you fled the USA, you say anything you want, it
> doesn't disprove my statement and there is not a single chance in your
> life that you'll get an apology from me until you come clean/honest on all
> your trolling BS.

I would say this is a textbook example of the pot calling the kettle
black. However, since Alias is helpful and not a troll, I would be
wrong. You need to stop projecting your personal problems on others.

Still trying to worm your way out of the lie Alias caught you in, eh?

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"It would be nice if there was a check to see if you were running an
activated/validated version of Windows before you were allowed to post
in any of these news groups. If you're not activated/validated your post
automatically gets deleted.
That would get rid of the Linsux Luzzzzzzzzers once and for all."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot