Computer Freezes after Windows Update

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Manuel

Computer Freezes after Windows Update
Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a patch for this?

My new Toshiba Satellite came with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed.
I didn't had any problems until the second time I ran Windows Update

The first time I only installed critical updates, and after the reboot,
everything looked fine.

However the second time, I installed the others updates and after the reboot
Vista hanged up, eternally showing the loading message "please wait..."

I had to manually reboot, enter Safe Mode and restore the system... Now I've
disabled Windows Update until future news.

It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.... any suggestions?

thanks!
Jovino Margathe

Re: Computer Freezes after Windows Update
how long do you mean by "eternally"? minutes? hours?

"Manuel" <Manuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a patch for this?
>
> My new Toshiba Satellite came with Windows Vista Home Premium
> pre-installed.
> I didn't had any problems until the second time I ran Windows Update
>
> The first time I only installed critical updates, and after the reboot,
> everything looked fine.
>
> However the second time, I installed the others updates and after the
> reboot
> Vista hanged up, eternally showing the loading message "please wait..."
>

> I had to manually reboot, enter Safe Mode and restore the system... Now
> I've
> disabled Windows Update until future news.
>
> It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.... any suggestions?
>
> thanks!

Rock

Re: Computer Freezes after Windows Update
"Manuel" <Manuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a patch for this?
>
> My new Toshiba Satellite came with Windows Vista Home Premium
> pre-installed.
> I didn't had any problems until the second time I ran Windows Update
>
> The first time I only installed critical updates, and after the reboot,
> everything looked fine.
>
> However the second time, I installed the others updates and after the
> reboot
> Vista hanged up, eternally showing the loading message "please wait..."
>

> I had to manually reboot, enter Safe Mode and restore the system... Now
> I've
> disabled Windows Update until future news.
>
> It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.... any suggestions?
>
> thanks!

No problems here with windows update on Vista Ultimate. I know it doesn't
solve your issue but it's not happening to everyone. What updates did you
install that caused the problem? Have you tried installing them one at a
time to isolate the problem update?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Manuel

Re: Computer Freezes after Windows Update
It's about 20 minutes...

"Jovino Margathe" wrote:

> how long do you mean by "eternally"? minutes? hours?
>
> "Manuel" <Manuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a patch for this?
> >
> > My new Toshiba Satellite came with Windows Vista Home Premium
> > pre-installed.
> > I didn't had any problems until the second time I ran Windows Update
> >
> > The first time I only installed critical updates, and after the reboot,
> > everything looked fine.
> >
> > However the second time, I installed the others updates and after the
> > reboot
> > Vista hanged up, eternally showing the loading message "please wait..."
> >

> > I had to manually reboot, enter Safe Mode and restore the system... Now
> > I've
> > disabled Windows Update until future news.
> >
> > It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.... any suggestions?
> >
> > thanks!

Jovino Margathe

Re: Computer Freezes after Windows Update
I see..probably you've just installed major update (read that, a lot of
updates) for vista, and depending on your computer specification (that is,
RAM and CPU) it does take a while to configure new updates..

> It's about 20 minutes...
>
> "Jovino Margathe" wrote:
>
>> how long do you mean by "eternally"? minutes? hours?
>>
>> "Manuel" <Manuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone know when Microsoft will release a patch for this?
>> >
>> > My new Toshiba Satellite came with Windows Vista Home Premium
>> > pre-installed.
>> > I didn't had any problems until the second time I ran Windows Update
>> >
>> > The first time I only installed critical updates, and after the reboot,
>> > everything looked fine.
>> >
>> > However the second time, I installed the others updates and after the
>> > reboot
>> > Vista hanged up, eternally showing the loading message "please wait..."
>> >

>> > I had to manually reboot, enter Safe Mode and restore the system... Now
>> > I've
>> > disabled Windows Update until future news.
>> >
>> > It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem.... any
>> > suggestions?
>> >
>> > thanks!

Manuel

Re: Computer Freezes after Windows Update
Ok, good news.... I've just reinstalled all the updates at once and this time
no problems at all

However, before that, I've updated the graphics card, audio and video
drivers for sure

Bob Gare

Re: Computer Freezes after Windows Update
mine freezes for 2-5 minutes at a time too.