Windows Explorer (Not Responding)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Schmiday

Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does the
same thing.
Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
Please Help
Bill Eichner

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
That's happening to me all-to-frequently basis with Vista Home Premium. It
does resume but it's very annoying. I'm about ready to switch back to XP as
Vista is just too unstable. I'm growing very tired of beta testing an
operating system I paid for.

"Schmiday" <Schmiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
> explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
> working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does
> the
> same thing.
> Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
> Please Help

John Barnes

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
I had the same problem with an upgrade, but with a clean install it works
great.

"Bill Eichner" <bill95841@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:grcYh.1355$tp5.313@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net ...
> That's happening to me all-to-frequently basis with Vista Home Premium. It
> does resume but it's very annoying. I'm about ready to switch back to XP
> as Vista is just too unstable. I'm growing very tired of beta testing an
> operating system I paid for.
>

> "Schmiday" <Schmiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
>> explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
>> working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does
>> the
>> same thing.
>> Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
>> Please Help

Schmiday

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
What is the difference between a clean install and the upgrade and where do i
choose?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> I had the same problem with an upgrade, but with a clean install it works
> great.

Adrian

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
I too had the same problem. I spoke to the Tech from the shop I bought it
(Vista home Premium) and was told that "occasionally a CD was faulty so bring
it back and we'll test it" they tried to instal on another "vista ready" PC
still no go so they replaced the CD for me. Still no joy. I have now
reverted back to XP as it is at least stable. I have come to the conclusion
that I have wasted my money buying Vista.
I upgraded my PC to have all the latest gadgets Core Duo processor,PCIe 4gig
memory and 2x 320gig SATA running in Raid0 so I should have expected that
Vista would at least attempt to run.

Adrian

"Bill Eichner" wrote:

> That's happening to me all-to-frequently basis with Vista Home Premium. It
> does resume but it's very annoying. I'm about ready to switch back to XP as
> Vista is just too unstable. I'm growing very tired of beta testing an
> operating system I paid for.
>

> "Schmiday" <Schmiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
> > explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
> > working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does
> > the
> > same thing.
> > Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
> > Please Help

Lang Murphy

> What is the difference between a clean install and the upgrade and where
> do i
> choose?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem with an upgrade, but with a clean install it works
>> great.

High level overview:

Upgrade occurs from within the existing OS... insert the Vista DVD while
logged into XP desktop and kick off the Vista install. The upgrade attempts
to capture/migrate all your existing software into the Vista install.

A clean install occurs when you boot from the Vista DVD and install from
there. The clean install does not capture/migrate all your existing software
into the Vista install. You must reinstall all software after doing a clean
install. If you don't format the drive on which you're installing Vista, it
will move some Windows stuff into a directory named Windows.old from which
you -might- be able to get back to XP without reinstalling it if you follow
somewhat detailed work instructions available in a MS KB article. If you
format the drive during the clean install, you've cast all XP artifacts to
the wind and must start from scratch if you want to go back to XP. And, of
course, you'll have to back up all your data prior to doing the clean
install (not that you wouldn't with an upgrade, but... well, you know...)

I've only done clean installs with Vista, formatting the HD's during
install, and my Vista experience has been positive. Yes, IE has stopped
working a few times over the past couple of months, but by and large, things
have been good. Needless to say, I recommend clean installs of Vista.

Good luck,

Lang

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
there is an update to fix that issue with explorer, i will post the fix here
in the next day or two. pretty busy right now, but if you want search the
posts in this ng and others have posted the fix more than once
"Schmiday" <Schmiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
> explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
> working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does
> the
> same thing.
> Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
> Please Help

Ron Miller

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
I look forward to you posting this fix soon as I have not yet located it
elsewhere. I have also been having problems with random freezes under Vista
Home Premium despite a clean installation and the latest hardware drivers for
Vista. Thanks!

Regards,

Ron

"gsx@gsxnet.com" wrote:

> there is an update to fix that issue with explorer, i will post the fix here
> in the next day or two. pretty busy right now, but if you want search the
> posts in this ng and others have posted the fix more than once
> "Schmiday" <Schmiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
> > explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
> > working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does
> > the
> > same thing.
> > Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
> > Please Help

Guy Thomas

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
DNS may be the answer for only a minority of instances of Explorer hanging,
but it solved the problem for me

http://computerperformance.co.uk/vis...nning_slow.htm

"Schmiday" <Schmiday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Windows Vista Business and every time I open windows
> explorer it freezes then restarts. It says Windows explorer has stopped
> working and Windows is looking for a solution then just restarts and does
> the
> same thing.
> Nothing works I cant even get into my recycle bin or the control panel.
> Please Help

Ron Miller

Re: Windows Explorer (Not Responding)
The description of the Vista problems in the article sounds very similar to
what I've been experiencing. I can't determine, however, what the alternate
DNS server is on my network. I connect through a router and my Internet
connection is through a cable modem and Comcast broadband service. Running
the IPCONFIG command reveals that my connection-specific DNS suffix is
hsd1.md.comcast.net. The IP address of my router is 192.168.10.1. I checked
online and found that Comcast has two DNS servers nationwide, a primary and
secondary. Here are the ping statistics for each:

C:\Users\Ron>ping 68.87.66.196

Pinging 68.87.66.196 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 68.87.66.196:

C:\Users\Ron>ping 68.87.64.196

Pinging 68.87.64.196 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 68.87.64.196:

Does this information reveal anything to you? Thanks!

Regards,

Ron