Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Jack

Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
Some programs store data in Application Data folder inside Documents &
Settings folder.
With Vista that folder has locked out access.
How to get that data?
Jack

Dale

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
Use the Users folder instead. Documents and Settings is just a link to
Users.

You will still find some folders inside of Users that you can't get at.
That is supposed to be for your protection. I don't always agree with their
restrictions but there are some security advantages. You can override them
by right-clicking and choose Options and then the Security tab. In the
Security tab, click Advanced. You will see that Everyone has a Deny setting
on those folders. Remove that and you can take responsibility for your own
security: if you get any kind of malware running on your login, that
malware can manipulate those previously protected files and folders.

HTH,

Dale

"Jack" <replyto@it> wrote in message
> Some programs store data in Application Data folder inside Documents &
> Settings folder.
> With Vista that folder has locked out access.
> How to get that data?
> Jack

Jimmy Brush

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
<snip>
> You will still find some folders inside of Users that you can't get at.
> That is supposed to be for your protection. I don't always agree with
> their restrictions but there are some security advantages.

Actually, the restrictions on the "Documents and Settings" and similar
junctions are not there for security purposes; they are there to prevent
applications from misbehaving when they access them. Some applications would
not work correctly if they encountered a never-ending folder or two
different folders that contain the exact same files .

As such, it is strongly recommended not to remove the deny permission on
this junction.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

JP

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
This is true. Any folder with a Shortcut icon on it in Windows Explorer
is a Junction Point. They will all have the Read permission set to Deny - Everyone.

There is no need to access these folders. They are there for backwards compatibility
of pre Vista applications.

You can see a list of all Junction Points and the "real" folders they point to from a
command prompt at the root of C:

c:\>dir /aL /s <enter>

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> You will still find some folders inside of Users that you can't get at. That is supposed to be
>> for your protection. I don't always agree with their restrictions but there are some security
>> advantages.

> Actually, the restrictions on the "Documents and Settings" and similar junctions are not there for
> security purposes; they are there to prevent applications from misbehaving when they access them.
> Some applications would not work correctly if they encountered a never-ending folder or two
> different folders that contain the exact same files .
>
> As such, it is strongly recommended not to remove the deny permission on this junction.
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Dale

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
And the deny setting on Start Menu is not for security?

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> You will still find some folders inside of Users that you can't get at.
>> That is supposed to be for your protection. I don't always agree with
>> their restrictions but there are some security advantages.

> Actually, the restrictions on the "Documents and Settings" and similar
> junctions are not there for security purposes; they are there to prevent
> applications from misbehaving when they access them. Some applications
> would not work correctly if they encountered a never-ending folder or two
> different folders that contain the exact same files .
>
> As such, it is strongly recommended not to remove the deny permission on
> this junction.
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Dale

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
In fact, I didn't mention the restriction on access to Documents and
Settings at all.

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> You will still find some folders inside of Users that you can't get at.
>> That is supposed to be for your protection. I don't always agree with
>> their restrictions but there are some security advantages.

> Actually, the restrictions on the "Documents and Settings" and similar
> junctions are not there for security purposes; they are there to prevent
> applications from misbehaving when they access them. Some applications
> would not work correctly if they encountered a never-ending folder or two
> different folders that contain the exact same files .
>
> As such, it is strongly recommended not to remove the deny permission on
> this junction.
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
No - again, this is a compatability junction as the location has been moved
in Vista, and you should use the new location instead of modifying security
settings .

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
Documents and Settings is an application compatability junction, just like
all of the junctions inside the Users folder that you were specifically
referring to.

Everything that has a DENY permission on it is not a folder, but a
compatability junction that points to the new location.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Dale

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
If you follow the thread, you'll see that is what I told the OP. Use the
Users folder, not Documents and Settings. Then, inside Users, and the
specific user's folders, Start Menu is still restricted.

Dale

> No - again, this is a compatability junction as the location has been
> moved in Vista, and you should use the new location instead of modifying
> security settings .
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Dale

Re: Documents & Settings folder is not accessible!
Then where exactly is the real user's programs folder for the start menu
located?

Dale