Cursor sticks

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Norma

Cursor sticks
Hi!
I am having a problem that makes me want to throw the computer out the
window! For some unknown reason, my cursor sticks and stops my computer for
as long as 20 minutes. It is a basic vista cursor and it has been doing this
since I got this new computer and had Vista Ultimate professionally
installed.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? Please
help me.

Norma

Dave Cox

Re: Cursor sticks
"Norma" <tamar78@msn.com> wrote in

> Hi!
> I am having a problem that makes me want to throw the computer
> out the
> window! For some unknown reason, my cursor sticks and stops my
> computer for as long as 20 minutes. It is a basic vista cursor and
> it has been doing this since I got this new computer and had Vista
> Ultimate professionally installed.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?
> Please
> help me.
>
> Norma

Norma,

There are numerous reasons why you might be having this particular
problem and without more detail it would almost be impossible to
diagnose.

You mentioned you had Vista professionally installed, it might be
easier if you were to take it back to them and let them diagnose the
problem.

My first suggestion would be to try another mouse (with cord) if you
have one or know someone who does.

--
Hope this helps
Dave

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Re: Cursor sticks
"Norma" <tamar78@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I am having a problem that makes me want to throw the computer out the
> window! For some unknown reason, my cursor sticks and stops my computer
> for as long as 20 minutes. It is a basic vista cursor and it has been
> doing this since I got this new computer and had Vista Ultimate
> professionally installed.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? Please
> help me.
>
> Norma

Is it a Logitech mouse?
Look for new drivers at the Logitech site. A professional installer should
have done this.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Plato

Re: Cursor sticks
Dave Cox wrote:

> > window! For some unknown reason, my cursor sticks and stops my
> > computer for as long as 20 minutes. It is a basic vista cursor and

> My first suggestion would be to try another mouse (with cord) if you
> have one or know someone who does.

NO, it's not a mouse problem.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

biaspoint is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still a problem
Not to resurrect a dead horse, but I recently purchased a computer from Dell and I have the mouse, trackball, cursor sticking problem. Cursor sticks, does not move, freezes for 3-5 minutes and then will let me move it for 5-20 seconds and then freezes again, only a week old, have not installed anything, came with Vista preloaded. Tried 2 different dell mouses and a logitech trackball with the same problem.
Chuck

Re: Cursor sticks
Have you loaded anything (applications, drivers, etc. that were not supplied
by Dell. If not, I'd suggest you contact Dell concerning a replacement.
If so, Try uninstalling (NOT deleting) the software you loaded one at a
time, and see if the problem goes away.
I assume you ran whatever antivirus program Dell supplied. If Norton is
running on the P/C, you should try (not connected to the internet) running
without it to see if it is causing the problem. Obsolete drivers, possibly
for the ethernet port, can cause symptoms similar to those you describe, as
can many other things. (Obsolete third party mouse and touchpad drivers have
also caused such symptoms, along with incorrect sound drivers, to name just
a few.)

Dell normally supplies a new system with an image of the factory software
install, and, if the information that came with the machine is not clear,
walk you through the reinstall process.

"biaspoint" <biaspoint.3flus4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Not to resurrect a dead horse, but I recently purchased a computer from
> Dell and I have the mouse, trackball, cursor sticking problem. Cursor
> sticks, does not move, freezes for 3-5 minutes and then will let me move
> it for 5-20 seconds and then freezes again, only a week old, have not
> installed anything, came with Vista preloaded. Tried 2 different dell
> mouses and a logitech trackball with the same problem.
>

> --
> biaspoint

biaspoint is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cursor sticks
Thanks for the reply, got sent away on business! I finally chatted with the dell techs, and they put me through the system diagnostics from the bios. I thought it was a joke, but it turned up my USB controller had not been done correctly, so after waiting for the diagnostics to finish over an hour, I rebooted to windows and removed the USB controller, and I think the HUB as well... Windows immediately replaced it with the correct one and I have not had a problem since... The Dell tech originally thought it was a video driver problem, he said Dell had a problems with that recently.