The volume does not contain a recognized file system

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

caprichso

The volume does not contain a recognized file system
I am running Vista Ultimate running under VMWare 2.0.2 on a MacPro 10.5.7. I
had to recover my c: drive due to some VMWare corruption issues. We can now
see the drive, but when I try to boot from it I get "Missing Operating
System". If I boot from the Vista Ultimate CD to do a repair, it does not
see the OS and so won't do a repair.

Running a command prompt chkdsk c: says "The type of the file system is RAW"
and it fails. dir c: gtives "The volume does not contain a recognized file
system". Diskpart list partition shows "Partition 1 Primary 40 GB 1024 KB".
Filesystem shows "UDF Allocation Unit size 2048".

I tried booting from the Norton SystemWorks CD for their disk utility, but
evidently the CD is not bootable.

Any ideas on how I can get access to the drive again?

Thanks!

Dusko Savatovic

Re: The volume does not contain a recognized file system
Well, if it says the filesystem is RAW, and 'dir c:' gives "The volume does
not contain a recognized file
system", then it means that your disk content is corrupt.

Either restore from backup, or start again from scratch.

"caprichso" <captain@community.spam> wrote in message
>I am running Vista Ultimate running under VMWare 2.0.2 on a MacPro 10.5.7.
> had to recover my c: drive due to some VMWare corruption issues. We can
> now
> see the drive, but when I try to boot from it I get "Missing Operating
> System". If I boot from the Vista Ultimate CD to do a repair, it does not
> see the OS and so won't do a repair.
>
> Running a command prompt chkdsk c: says "The type of the file system is
> RAW"
> and it fails. dir c: gtives "The volume does not contain a recognized
> file
> system". Diskpart list partition shows "Partition 1 Primary 40 GB 1024
> KB".
> Filesystem shows "UDF Allocation Unit size 2048".
>

> I tried booting from the Norton SystemWorks CD for their disk utility, but
> evidently the CD is not bootable.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get access to the drive again?
>
> Thanks!

Randem

Re: The volume does not contain a recognized file system
Run TESTDISK on the drive to search for partitions then rewrite them then do
a chkdsk /f:

You can run TESTDISK from the Linus System Rescue CD

--
Randem Systems
Your Installation Spe******t

"caprichso" <captain@community.spam> wrote in message
>I am running Vista Ultimate running under VMWare 2.0.2 on a MacPro 10.5.7.
> had to recover my c: drive due to some VMWare corruption issues. We can
> now
> see the drive, but when I try to boot from it I get "Missing Operating
> System". If I boot from the Vista Ultimate CD to do a repair, it does not
> see the OS and so won't do a repair.
>
> Running a command prompt chkdsk c: says "The type of the file system is
> RAW"
> and it fails. dir c: gtives "The volume does not contain a recognized
> file
> system". Diskpart list partition shows "Partition 1 Primary 40 GB 1024
> KB".
> Filesystem shows "UDF Allocation Unit size 2048".
>

> I tried booting from the Norton SystemWorks CD for their disk utility, but
> evidently the CD is not bootable.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get access to the drive again?
>
> Thanks!

caprichso

Re: The volume does not contain a recognized file system
Testdisk was a great suggestion. Unfortunately, even with a deep search it
did not find any partition table.

Randem

Re: The volume does not contain a recognized file system
If Test disk did not find anything you maybe SOL and will need to re-install
for something wiped your HD. The only option left is to use partitioning
software like Easeus then recreate the partition then attempt to recover
files. It may not work though and you will be looking at a re-install.

--

news92CA87D-E590-4148-BBBA-04F40141487B@microsoft.com...
> Testdisk was a great suggestion. Unfortunately, even with a deep search
> it
> did not find any partition table.

Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:48:01 -0700, caprichso wrote:

> I am running Vista Ultimate running under VMWare 2.0.2 on a MacPro 10.5.7. I
> had to recover my c: drive due to some VMWare corruption issues. We can now
> see the drive, but when I try to boot from it I get "Missing Operating
> System". If I boot from the Vista Ultimate CD to do a repair, it does not
> see the OS and so won't do a repair.
>
> Running a command prompt chkdsk c: says "The type of the file system is RAW"
> and it fails. dir c: gtives "The volume does not contain a recognized file
> system". Diskpart list partition shows "Partition 1 Primary 40 GB 1024 KB".
> Filesystem shows "UDF Allocation Unit size 2048".
>

> I tried booting from the Norton SystemWorks CD for their disk utility, but
> evidently the CD is not bootable.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get access to the drive again?
>
> Thanks!

I wonder if a VMware forum could provide you with better help...

Also, can you try Dusko's suggestion to use a backup copy of the virtual
drive? I've had good luck with that.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom