Vista search results

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

SBS user

Vista search results
In vista search I have entered something in the form of "pst OR pdf OR jpg
OR doc OR xls" and get over 5000 results, but vista will only show the first
5000. Is there a way to increase the search results?

measekite Da Monkey

Re: Vista search results
Narrow your search. Why do you need to search on so many file types at one
time?

"SBS user" <user@domain.com> wrote in message
> In vista search I have entered something in the form of "pst OR pdf OR jpg
> OR doc OR xls" and get over 5000 results, but vista will only show the
> first 5000. Is there a way to increase the search results?

Retroman

Re: Vista search results
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:10:11 -0500, "SBS user" <user@domain.com> wrote:

>In vista search I have entered something in the form of "pst OR pdf OR jpg
>OR doc OR xls" and get over 5000 results, but vista will only show the first
>5000. Is there a way to increase the search results?

No. You need to add criteria to your query to reduce the number of
results below 5000.

Doug M. in NJ
propman

Re: Vista search results
Retroman wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:10:11 -0500, "SBS user" <user@domain.com> wrote:
>
>> In vista search I have entered something in the form of "pst OR pdf OR jpg
>> OR doc OR xls" and get over 5000 results, but vista will only show the first
>> 5000. Is there a way to increase the search results?

> No. You need to add criteria to your query to reduce the number of
> results below 5000.
>
> Doug M. in NJ

Why would he add criteria to lower the count when he obviously wants a
count greater than 5000? :-)

Retroman

Re: Re: Vista search results
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:28:24 -0700, propman <propman@nowhere.ca> wrote:

>Retroman wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:10:11 -0500, "SBS user" <user@domain.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In vista search I have entered something in the form of "pst OR pdf OR jpg
>>> OR doc OR xls" and get over 5000 results, but vista will only show the first
>>> 5000. Is there a way to increase the search results?

>> No. You need to add criteria to your query to reduce the number of
>> results below 5000.
>>
>> Doug M. in NJ

>Why would he add criteria to lower the count when he obviously wants a
>count greater than 5000? :-)

Because partial results are of little use, since you don't know what is
not shown. I should have mentioned that Explorer will sometimes show a
yellow message bar offering to show additional results, but other times
not. I don't know what determines that behavior.

Doug M. in NJ
propman

Re: Vista search results
Retroman wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:28:24 -0700, propman <propman@nowhere.ca> wrote:
>
>> Retroman wrote:

>>> No. You need to add criteria to your query to reduce the number of
>>> results below 5000.
>>>
>>> Doug M. in NJ

>> Why would he add criteria to lower the count when he obviously wants a
>> count greater than 5000? :-)

> Because partial results are of little use, since you don't know what is
> not shown.

OK.....so after all the "partial results" are eliminated via the proper
use of criteria, I know for a fact (hypothetically speaking)there are
over 5000 files with my specified search criteria on my
system.....there's nothing left to "add criteria to your query to reduce
the number of results below 5000."

> I should have mentioned that Explorer will sometimes show a
> yellow message bar offering to show additional results, but other times
> not. I don't know what determines that behavior.

Black magic! ;-)

Retroman

Re: Re: Vista search results
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:32:49 -0700, propman <propman@nowhere.ca> wrote:

>OK.....so after all the "partial results" are eliminated via the proper
>use of criteria, I know for a fact (hypothetically speaking)there are
>over 5000 files with my specified search criteria on my
>system.....there's nothing left to "add criteria to your query to reduce
>the number of results below 5000."

In that case, you would need to do two or more queries, each with added
criteria. For example, the OP's query specifies five different file
extensions and nothing else. He could do two or more queries, each with
added criteria to reduce the number of results. For example, the queries
might be restricted by date:

extpst OR pdf OR jpg OR doc OR xls) +modified:thisyear
extpst OR pdf OR jpg OR doc OR xls) -modified:thisyear

Or by author:
extpst OR pdf OR jpg OR doc OR xls) +author:bob
extpst OR pdf OR jpg OR doc OR xls) -author:bob

Or by whatever criteria are appropriate to divide the results into groups
of 5000 or less. The point is that between the queries, all the desired
file types would be found.

Doug M. in NJ