Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG8gQ2FiYW55YW4=?=

Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel
I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate (x64) with Office 2007. I attempt
to configure my email account for work (Exchange server), but there is no
"Mail" option under control panel where I normally configure this.

I attempted to configure this in Outlook '07, but it directs me to the
Control Panel - Mail option. Any ideas on how to get the Mail option in the
Control Panel visible?

Carlo C.

Chad Harris

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel
I haven't heard of that as an isolated issue.

1) Try typing this in run box: control mlcfg32.cpl for Exchange.

2) Can you access it this way?

1.. On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Send/Receive
Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
2.. In the list, click All Accounts or the Send/Receive group that you
want to change, and then click Edit.
3.. Select the options that you want.
4.. Repeat for each Send/Receive group that you want to change.
or

1.. On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Send/Receive
Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
2.. Click New.

3.. Type a name for the new Send/Receive group, and then click OK.

3) See if this value is in the registry:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32
3. Confirm that the (Default) entry contains one of the following
values, depending on the operating system: .
. Microsoft Windows Vista
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\JSCRIPT.DLL
If this entry does not contain one of these values, double-click
(Default), type the appropriate value in the Value data box, and then click
OK.
4. Confirm that value of the ThreadingModel entry is "Both" (without
the quotation marks). If the value is not "Both," double-click
ThreadingModel, type Both in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{f414c26 0-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb558}\InprocServer32

4)
Do a startup repair with the DVD--you do not have to have a no start
Vista to benefit from it.

If you run Win RE's Startup Repair in Vista, it will try to check and
repair the following Tthis is not a complete list but a list of major tasks

it can perform):

Registry Corruptions

Missing/corrupt driver files (you don't have to guess here--it looks
at all

of them

Missing/corrupt system files (disabled in Beta 2 as is System File
Checker

but present newer builds)

Incompatible Driver Installation

Incompatible OS update installations

Startup Repair may offer a dialogue box to use System restore.

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options
in the

lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)

http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"

http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash
from

theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair

2) System Restore

3) Complete PC Restore

Good luck,

CH

"Carlo Cabanyan" <Carlo Cabanyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate (x64) with Office 2007. I
>attempt
> to configure my email account for work (Exchange server), but there is no
> "Mail" option under control panel where I normally configure this.
>
> I attempted to configure this in Outlook '07, but it directs me to the
> Control Panel - Mail option. Any ideas on how to get the Mail option in
> the
> Control Panel visible?
>
> Carlo C.

Kerry Brown

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel
That is an unusual situation. If Chad's suggestions don't solve the problem
you should repost this to

microsoft.public.outlook.general

or

microsoft.public.outlook.installation

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Carlo Cabanyan" <Carlo Cabanyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate (x64) with Office 2007. I
>attempt
> to configure my email account for work (Exchange server), but there is no
> "Mail" option under control panel where I normally configure this.
>
> I attempted to configure this in Outlook '07, but it directs me to the
> Control Panel - Mail option. Any ideas on how to get the Mail option in
> the
> Control Panel visible?
>
> Carlo C.

Chad Harris

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel
Carlo along the lines of Kerry's good suggestion.

Let me be straight up. The experts on those groups are dynamite. They are
seasoned Outlook MVPs and Outlook Experts many of whom are the authors of
the major books in stores on Outlook, and have careers that center around
complicated IT administration and OL development and the major Outlook book
authors are on there consistently helping day in and day out. Absolutely
those groups are the place to get the most expert information, but as long
as your problem was here I took a swipe at it.

I would say that of the many many groups, the Outlook groups are loaded with
specific expertise, and talent that and they are willing to spend a good
deal of time helpng, and a high volume of problems are knocked outta the
park.

Good luck

CH

"Carlo Cabanyan" <Carlo Cabanyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate (x64) with Office 2007. I
>attempt
> to configure my email account for work (Exchange server), but there is no
> "Mail" option under control panel where I normally configure this.
>
> I attempted to configure this in Outlook '07, but it directs me to the
> Control Panel - Mail option. Any ideas on how to get the Mail option in
> the
> Control Panel visible?
>
> Carlo C.

Michael Price

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel
Under the X64 version of Vista, you need to first look under an icon called
32 bit control panel items. The mail icon is there.

"Carlo Cabanyan" <Carlo Cabanyan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate (x64) with Office 2007. I
>attempt
> to configure my email account for work (Exchange server), but there is no
> "Mail" option under control panel where I normally configure this.
>
> I attempted to configure this in Outlook '07, but it directs me to the
> Control Panel - Mail option. Any ideas on how to get the Mail option in
> the
> Control Panel visible?
>
> Carlo C.

StuartJ

Carlo Cabanyan;168167 Wrote:
> I have a clean install of Vista Ultimate (x64) with Office 2007. I
> attempt
> to configure my email account for work (Exchange server), but there is
> no
> "Mail" option under control panel where I normally configure this.
>
> I attempted to configure this in Outlook '07, but it directs me to the
> Control Panel - Mail option. Any ideas on how to get the Mail option
> in the
> Control Panel visible?
>
> Carlo C.

I have Vista Home Premium (x64) with Office Enterprise 2007 and the
"Mail" icon usually in Control Panel has disappeared. I tried various
registry hacks on the Net but nothing worked. I could not run the
mlcfg32.cpl from the Run Box.

I found the file "mlcfg32.cpl" in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Office\Office12\ directory and it will run from there by double clicking
it.

I tried copying it elsewhere but that didn't seem to work, so I simply
made some shortcuts to it at the above location and it works fine in
this way.

I haven't the faintest idea why this is the case, but suggest that you
find where the file is located on your system and run it from there. If
this doesn't work or the file is not on your system, it is way beyond my
limited competence to help you.

As most of you will be able to tell, I am no expert on these matters,
but have posted this, since it worked for me, in the hope it may help
others.

:smile:

--
StuartJ
Lettuce

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel

I had the same problem and ths did the trick! Thanks so much!

--
Lettuce
cpoppenger

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel

Michael's suggestion did the trick. It seems this issue is isolated to
64bit versions of Vista. It was frustrating that other than this forum,
there weren't very many postings on the web to resolve this problem,
even on the Microsoft support site. MS suggested to simply ensure your
OS was updated.

The mail icon was in the "32 bit control panel items" folder. I knew
that 32 bit programs were installed seperately, but it's confusing to
access seperate control panel items.

Glad this is resolved!

--
cpoppenger
cpoppenger's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138295.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

mentormatt8

Re: Missing "Mail" icon in Control Panel

Yeah, First look under 32 bit items on a 64 bit Vista. If more than just
mail icon is missing in the Vista Control Panel, look to restart the
software licenxsing agent. More details here: 'solved windows vista
control panel blank'
(http://annoyances-resolved.blogspot....coming-up.html)

--
mentormatt8