my desktop icons replaced!!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

robinson171

my desktop icons replaced!!

all my desktop icons got suddenly changed to internet explorer
icons,after (i opened some program in the internet,) then i did some
personalisation then it changed to my adobe photoshop icon, all the
desktop icons now shows the adobe,,icons.like all my programs which was
earlier like (yahoo msngr, msn mesengr,windows vista programs,almost all
other programs) and my internet wireless stopped working. i have a vista
home premium 32. and my comp is asus f3t series. i was trying to do the
icon cache, but couldnt find. tried restarting but couldnt solve.now
trying to run my antivirus scan Mcafee. if anybody knows the solution to
restore my earlier icons .please help me, and other suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.

--
robinson171
RonS WIN TEAM

Re: my desktop icons replaced!!

Here's a link to a help article from Microsoft that should help:

'Icons randomly change to different icons'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132668)

In case you don't want to hop over there, I'll post here as well:

*Important* This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you
how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you
modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before
you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
For more information about how to back up and restore the registry,
click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base: '322756' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)
('How to back up and restore the
registry in Windows' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)
) How to back up and restore the registry in
Windows

To resolve this behavior, use one or more of the following methods:

- Press the F5 key to refresh the icons in the current folder.
- Close and then reopen a window that contains incorrect icons.
- Restart your computer.
- Re-create the ShellIconCache file. This file is re-created
automatically when you change your display's color depth. Follow these
steps to change your display's color depth to a new setting and then
change it back to the original setting:

- Right-click the desktop and then click *Properties*.
- Click the *Settings* tab.
- Change the color depth from the current setting to a new setting.
For example, change from *Highest (32 bit)* to *Lowest (16 bit)*.
- Click *Apply*, and then click *Yes* to accept the changes.
- Change the color depth back to its original setting.
- Click *Apply*, and then click *Yes* to accept the changes.

- Using Registry Editor, add the *Max Cached Icons* string value with
a value data of *2000* to the following registry key, and then restart
your
computer:*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wi ndows\CurrentVersion\Explorer*
If the icons are still incorrect, delete the ShellIconCache file.
The *Max Cached Icons* value data range is between 100 and 4096. The
default value is 500.

--
RonS WIN TEAM

::Ron S

Windows Outreach Team
Check us out on 'Facebook' (http://www.facebook.com/windows)
::
silver hair

"robinson171" wrote:

> all my desktop icons got suddenly changed to internet explorer
> icons,after (i opened some program in the internet,) then i did some
> personalisation then it changed to my adobe photoshop icon, all the
> desktop icons now shows the adobe,,icons.like all my programs which was
> earlier like (yahoo msngr, msn mesengr,windows vista programs,almost all
> other programs) and my internet wireless stopped working. i have a vista
> home premium 32. and my comp is asus f3t series. i was trying to do the
> icon cache, but couldnt find. tried restarting but couldnt solve.now
> trying to run my antivirus scan Mcafee. if anybody knows the solution to
> restore my earlier icons .please help me, and other suggestions will be
> greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> robinson171

I often use System Restore,
restore to before the trouble started

Start
All programs
Accessories
System Tools
System Restore

Mcafee never read a good report about Mcafee in Vista
I use AVG home edition free and Avast home free