msconfig

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Bill

msconfig
I have a cpu with vista home premium. I would like to use msconfig to not
start some programs. Is there a way to print out the programs in start up
so I can take the time to verify I don not want them to run?

thanks for any help

BF

Bob

Re: msconfig
Take a screen shot with the snipping tool.

Bill wrote:
> I have a cpu with vista home premium. I would like to use msconfig to
> not start some programs. Is there a way to print out the programs in
> start up so I can take the time to verify I don not want them to run?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> BF

Richard Urban

Re: msconfig
msconfig is more of a diagnostic tool.

If you want to disable startup entries uses something like autoruns from
Microsoft (formally System Internals)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx Note that
this must be run as administrator to effect any changes.

or WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Both are free utilities.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"Bill" <wfrancis1@embarqmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a cpu with vista home premium. I would like to use msconfig to not
>start some programs. Is there a way to print out the programs in start up
>so I can take the time to verify I don not want them to run?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> BF

Rick Rogers

Re: msconfig
Hi,

A tool like Hijackthis will give you a log you can print:
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html

Personally, I like autoruns:

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bill" <wfrancis1@embarqmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a cpu with vista home premium. I would like to use msconfig to not
>start some programs. Is there a way to print out the programs in start up
>so I can take the time to verify I don not want them to run?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> BF

Gary Mount

Re: msconfig
Type "net start" in a command prompt.
You can redirect the output to a text file by typeing
"net start >> whatsRunning.txt" and a file will be created named
whatsRunning.txt.

for example if I type >net start >> d:\runningStuff.txt
I get a file with the following contents...

"These Windows services are started:

AMD External Events Utility
Application Experience
Application Information
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Base Filtering Engine
BitLocker Drive Encryption Service
COM+ Event System
Computer Browser
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process Launcher
Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
DHCP Client
Diagnostic Policy Service
Diagnostic Service Host
Distributed Link Tracking Client
DNS Client
Encrypting File System (EFS)
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Group Policy Client
HomeGroup Provider
Human Interface Device Access
IP Helper
Multimedia Class Scheduler
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Offline Files
Peer Name Resolution Protocol
Peer Networking Grouping
Peer Networking Identity Manager
Plug and Play
Power
Print Spooler
Program Compatibility Assistant Service
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
RPC Endpoint Mapper
SeaPort
Security Accounts Manager
Security Center
Server
Shell Hardware Detection
Software Protection
SSDP Discovery
Superfetch
System Event Notification Service
Task Scheduler
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Themes
UPnP Device Host
User Profile Service
Windows Audio
Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
Windows Backup
Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar
Windows Defender
Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
Windows Event Log
Windows Firewall
Windows Management Instrumentation
Windows Media Center Receiver Service
Windows Media Center Scheduler Service
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
Windows Mobile-2003-based device connectivity
Windows Mobile-based device connectivity
Windows Search
Windows Update
Workstation

The command completed successfully.

"

"Bill" <wfrancis1@embarqmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a cpu with vista home premium. I would like to use msconfig to not
> start some programs. Is there a way to print out the programs in start up
> so I can take the time to verify I don not want them to run?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> BF

Gary Mount

Re: msconfig
You can use the "net start" command to stop and start services.
Put the list in batch files and you don't have to keep rebooting for the
changes to take effect.

"Bill" <wfrancis1@embarqmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a cpu with vista home premium. I would like to use msconfig to not
> start some programs. Is there a way to print out the programs in start up
> so I can take the time to verify I don not want them to run?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> BF

Gary Mount

Re: msconfig
Ooops, you said programs on start up, not services. Ignore what I wrote
earlier.