Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

same processes running multiple times in task manager

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2007
=?Utf-8?B?QWJl?=
 

Posts: n/a
same processes running multiple times in task manager
hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running multiple times

ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
cli.exe - 3 times
csrss.exe - 2 times
svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)

Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way as my
XP machine didnt do that.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2007
Marcin Domaslawski
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager
Hi,

Right - it's Vista but on Win XP e.g. you had few svchost.exe's processes
too (depends what services are on).

Every instance is associated with specific service - you can check in
services.msc.


Marcin Domaslawski


"Abe" <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7BF8B62D-E3CC-42C3-87B7-F34F949B864F@microsoft.com...
> hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
> multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running multiple
> times
>
> ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
> cli.exe - 3 times
> csrss.exe - 2 times
> svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)
>
> Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way as
> my
> XP machine didnt do that.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2007
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager

"Abe" <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7BF8B62D-E3CC-42C3-87B7-F34F949B864F@microsoft.com...
> hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
> multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running multiple
> times
>
> ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
> cli.exe - 3 times
> csrss.exe - 2 times
> svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)
>
> Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way as
> my
> XP machine didnt do that.
>
>

These are all programs not processes.
A better way to understand the situation is:
ati2evxx.exe is being run by two different processes doing two different
tasks
etc.

local, network, and system are process owners. A given process owner can
execute several different processes.

Jim


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2007
Mike Matheny
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager
In article <7BF8B62D-E3CC-42C3-87B7-F34F949B864F@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?
QWJl?= says...

> hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
> multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running multiple times
>
> ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
> cli.exe - 3 times
> csrss.exe - 2 times
> svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)
>
> Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way as my
> XP machine didnt do that.
>
>
>

Get Process Explorer (Systernals) from MS Website (They bought Systernals) -
will show you every sub process kicked off by svchost (and other similar
processes)
--

Mike Matheny
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager
Hi Mike,

Process Explorer is a great product, but Task Manager has been expanded in
Vista. You can right click a Process and select Go to service and all of the
services running under that process will be highlighted.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Mike Matheny" <thomasdotmdotmatheny@nasadotgov> wrote in message
news:OysoXlrhHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> In article <7BF8B62D-E3CC-42C3-87B7-F34F949B864F@microsoft.com>,
> =?Utf-8?B?
> QWJl?= says...
>
>> hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
>> multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running multiple
>> times
>>
>> ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
>> cli.exe - 3 times
>> csrss.exe - 2 times
>> svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)
>>
>> Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way as
>> my
>> XP machine didnt do that.
>>
>>
>>

> Get Process Explorer (Systernals) from MS Website (They bought
> Systernals) -
> will show you every sub process kicked off by svchost (and other similar
> processes)
> --
>
> Mike Matheny


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2007
Danna
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager
I've had the same issue after my machine was upgrded from XP to Vista & it is
performance impacting. The explanations included in this thread make
sense....but I also have two sessions of Sidebar.exe running under my user ID
- not spread across system, local etc... That situation is not covered by
the above explanations. I have to wonder if during the upgrade , there was
some duplication that causes some of the processes / servers to be called
upon more than once. I did not find the Right-click & Go-to be
enlightening. Is there another way to determine why two identical processes
would be started by the same user more than one time with noPrograms launched
other than IE?

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Process Explorer is a great product, but Task Manager has been expanded in
> Vista. You can right click a Process and select Go to service and all of the
> services running under that process will be highlighted.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
> "Mike Matheny" <thomasdotmdotmatheny@nasadotgov> wrote in message
> news:OysoXlrhHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > In article <7BF8B62D-E3CC-42C3-87B7-F34F949B864F@microsoft.com>,
> > =?Utf-8?B?
> > QWJl?= says...
> >
> >> hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
> >> multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running multiple
> >> times
> >>
> >> ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
> >> cli.exe - 3 times
> >> csrss.exe - 2 times
> >> svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)
> >>
> >> Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way as
> >> my
> >> XP machine didnt do that.
> >>
> >>
> >>

> > Get Process Explorer (Systernals) from MS Website (They bought
> > Systernals) -
> > will show you every sub process kicked off by svchost (and other similar
> > processes)
> > --
> >
> > Mike Matheny

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2007
Ronnie Vernon MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager
Danna

The 2 sidebar.exe instances is by design. One is to handle any custom
gadgets and the other is for the built-in default gadgets plus the sidebar
itself.

The ati2evxx.exe is also by design, one instance runs the service and the
other runs the application.

cli.exe is the ATI Catalyst Control Center for the video card.

I doubt very much if you have anything running that was simply "carried
over" from a previous install.

Seeing 'what' is running is simple, but determining the 'why' it is running
is much more difficult.

I am curious, how are you determining the 'performance impact' of these
programs and services?

If you want a more complete view and description of these tasks, you can use
a command line to take a look. Open a command prompt and use the tasklist
command. Type tasklist /? to see all of the possible parameters.



--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User


"Danna" <Danna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1C1D5B0B-5DB0-4D26-BF18-D199607FD6D5@microsoft.com...
> I've had the same issue after my machine was upgrded from XP to Vista & it
> is
> performance impacting. The explanations included in this thread make
> sense....but I also have two sessions of Sidebar.exe running under my user
> ID
> - not spread across system, local etc... That situation is not covered by
> the above explanations. I have to wonder if during the upgrade , there
> was
> some duplication that causes some of the processes / servers to be called
> upon more than once. I did not find the Right-click & Go-to be
> enlightening. Is there another way to determine why two identical
> processes
> would be started by the same user more than one time with noPrograms
> launched
> other than IE?
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Process Explorer is a great product, but Task Manager has been expanded
>> in
>> Vista. You can right click a Process and select Go to service and all of
>> the
>> services running under that process will be highlighted.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>>
>> "Mike Matheny" <thomasdotmdotmatheny@nasadotgov> wrote in message
>> news:OysoXlrhHHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> > In article <7BF8B62D-E3CC-42C3-87B7-F34F949B864F@microsoft.com>,
>> > =?Utf-8?B?
>> > QWJl?= says...
>> >
>> >> hi all, i have a new vista machine and the same processes are running
>> >> multiple times in vista. Here are a few items that are running
>> >> multiple
>> >> times
>> >>
>> >> ati2evxx.exe - 2 times
>> >> cli.exe - 3 times
>> >> csrss.exe - 2 times
>> >> svchost.exe - 13 times (split amongst local, network, system)
>> >>
>> >> Those are just a few examples, not sure why they are running this way
>> >> as
>> >> my
>> >> XP machine didnt do that.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> > Get Process Explorer (Systernals) from MS Website (They bought
>> > Systernals) -
>> > will show you every sub process kicked off by svchost (and other
>> > similar
>> > processes)
>> > --
>> >
>> > Mike Matheny

>>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2009
caska
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager

Hi,

my problem is a little bit different. I WANT to run same process
multiple time in task manager. When I open two word documents i want
them to be shown as separate processes. Does anyone know how I can do
this?


--
caska
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2009
Drew T
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager
caska,

Are you using MS Office 2003 or 2007? I can only explain how it is done in
MS Office 2007?

* Open MS Word 2007, select the 'Office Orb' in the top left corner,
select 'Word Options' > Advanced, scroll down to the 'Display' heading

* Check 'Show all windows in the Taskbar', click OK

Hopefully someone can explain MS Office 2003.

Drew

"caska" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:098b4c9202aff5bfe698ace758f3565c@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hi,
>
> my problem is a little bit different. I WANT to run same process
> multiple time in task manager. When I open two word documents i want
> them to be shown as separate processes. Does anyone know how I can do
> this?
>
>
> --
> caska
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2009
caska
 

Posts: n/a
Re: same processes running multiple times in task manager

Thank u Drew,

that post was helpful and now I know how to show all documents in one
window, but it isn't solution for my problem. I need to show every
document as separate process (not application) in task manager.


--
caska
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speech Recognition, Task Manager, and Show Processes from all Users LaRoux microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-04-2007 07:14
Task scheduler ignores the times it's set for Ian Haynes microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 15:33
Task scheduler runs outside specified times Ian Haynes microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-01-2007 03:05
Task Manager =?Utf-8?B?UHJvdWRtYWxl?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 02-28-2007 14:12
Vista Sysinfo / running tasks shows all processes =?Utf-8?B?c2QzMjE=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 02-10-2007 16:10




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:07.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120