location is not available..?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

SeenuGuddu

location is not available..?

Hi

I am having Windows Vista Home premium.

when i access the My Computer i am getting this Message

The location is not available
c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location
that is
unavailable. it could be on a hard drive on this computer.or on a
network.
check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are
connected to the internet or your network and then try again. if it
still
cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different
location.
in afternoon session working fine i dont know suddenly this is the
message is showing .. i dont know wat happend to this ...
Plz help me out of this
thanks in Advance

--
SeenuGuddu
Chris P. Bacon

Re: location is not available..?
On 2009-05-22, SeenuGuddu <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having Windows Vista Home premium.
>
> when i access the My Computer i am getting this Message
>
> The location is not available
> c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location
> that is
> unavailable. it could be on a hard drive on this computer.or on a
> network.
> check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are
> connected to the internet or your network and then try again. if it
> still
> cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different
> location.
> in afternoon session working fine i dont know suddenly this is the
> message is showing .. i dont know wat happend to this ...
> Plz help me out of this
> thanks in Advance

What happens if you type c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop into
the Run window in the Start menu/orb?

Once I get past all the UAC stuff, I can get to the systemprofile folder
but there is no desktop file/folder.

Exactly how do you "access the My Computer"? Are we talking about a
double-click to open or a right-click and Explore?

* CPB - Support the UIP http://improve-usenet.org
* RLU 451587
Chad Harris

Re: location is not available..?
Hi Seenu--

Help us out a little. Where exactly are you trying to go and what exactly
are you trying to do? Do you mean literally when you click on Computer on
the Vista start menu, that a box pops up with that message?

And what did you try to do that's the same thing in the afternoon session
where there were no problems? That error can come up in a few contexts, but
is this post because you can't click on Computer and open it without getting
that message?

You should be able to go wherever you like by typing the file path into any
IE address bar which doubles as an explorer folder window.

If you can be a little more precise it'd help me anyway.

In the meantime, try running SFC and see if that helps you.

Start>in search type cmd>rt. click cmd>run as admin>at cmd prompt type sfc
/scannow.

Although I'm not certain precisely what the problem is, you can also try a
system restore point prior to when the problem began if you have that
appropriate SR point.

Best,

CH

"SeenuGuddu" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I am having Windows Vista Home premium.
>
> when i access the My Computer i am getting this Message
>
> The location is not available
> c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location
> that is
> unavailable. it could be on a hard drive on this computer.or on a
> network.
> check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are
> connected to the internet or your network and then try again. if it
> still
> cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different
> location.
> in afternoon session working fine i dont know suddenly this is the
> message is showing .. i dont know wat happend to this ...
> Plz help me out of this
> thanks in Advance
>

> --
> SeenuGuddu

pupick

Re: location is not available..?
Your user preference file has been corrupted.
This is a known issue with Vista. Something you installed or uninstalled
dood it.
I have had this problem and it was not difficult to reconstruct the
preferences but I cannot remember how to do it. I am sure if you research
this on the web, even the Microsoft Knowldegebase (an oxymoron as this is
usually the most worthless of info sources) you will find the procedure.
One simple thing to try is a system restore to the point before this
happened.
As a last measure use the Vista install disc to repair, not reinstall,
Vista.

Chad Harris

Re: location is not available..?

"SeenuGuddu" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I am having Windows Vista Home premium.
>
> when i access the My Computer i am getting this Message
>
> The location is not available
> c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop refers to a location
> that is
> unavailable. it could be on a hard drive on this computer.or on a
> network.
> check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are
> connected to the internet or your network and then try again. if it
> still
> cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different
> location.
> in afternoon session working fine i dont know suddenly this is the
> message is showing .. i dont know wat happend to this ...
> Plz help me out of this
> thanks in Advance
>

> --
> SeenuGuddu

Seenu--

If in fact your problem is that your user profile has been corrupted, you
can try a restore point to restore it if you have the appropriate restore
point (only you know that), or you can try this (which may not address your
exact error but may address your problem):

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...ot-loaded.html

Good luck,

CH

SeenuGuddu

Re: location is not available..?

when i power on the system .. its working fine

one more thing is how would i know that System Restore Point is On/Off

is this default is On or i have to On

Thanks

--
SeenuGuddu
Chad Harris

Re: location is not available..?
Seenu--

You can get to a world of places in Vista by typing the name in the Search
box above the start button. Type "restore" without quotes in the search
box>click System Restore.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...ystem-restore/

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...e79e51033.mspx

Click "next button" in wizard. Some restore points will probably be listed
and if you don't see one prior to when your problem began, put a check in
"show more restore points" and click "next." You ideally want the restore
point prior to and closest to when your problem started.

If you use it, you would lose nothing except (and not always) shortcuts and
folders created after the restore point or hot fixes added after it (which
you can easily reinstall via Windows Update or from TechNet downloads.

The default is on, but you can control the size and the number of restore
points.

> when i power on the system .. its working fine
>
> one more thing is how would i know that System Restore Point is On/Off
>
> is this default is On or i have to On
>

> Thanks
>

> --
> SeenuGuddu

SeenuGuddu

Re: location is not available..?

Thanks Chad Harris ,

i have done this Before..

why i am asking is when i got the problem i tried to do that what u
have said abt restore .. i didnt find that in search

soo i got the doubt and i put here

Once more Thanks

--
SeenuGuddu
Chad Harris

> Thanks Chad Harris ,
>
> i have done this Before..
>
> why i am asking is when i got the problem i tried to do that what u
> have said abt restore .. i didnt find that in search
>
> soo i got the doubt and i put here
>
> Once more Thanks
>

> --
> SeenuGuddu

The question is did you find system restore, did you read my screen shot
links on how to use it, did you us it. System Restore is under
Accesorries>System Tools and is also reached Control Panel>System>System
Protection>System Restore. Were you able to locate a suitable restore point
and use system restore to fix your user profile if that is indeed what your
problem is? Next time you post, let us know.

It can be reached via the command prompt typing at the prompt:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

There are often several ways to reach a utility in Windows, but in Vista and
Windows 7 Search is often the fastest.

Best,

CH