System Properties takes long time to display available disks

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

CookyMonzta via WindowsKB.com

System Properties takes long time to display available disks
This afternoon, when I tried to activate System Restore, I didn't get a
window. 2 minutes after activating System Restore without the window showing,
I tried to activate it again, and I got a window telling me that it was
already running.

So, I activated System Protection, and opened the System Properties window,
and in the space 'Available Disks', I saw 'Searching...'. The machine was
busy searching for the only drive I had connected to it.

It took 10 minutes for the System Properties window to find my C disk and put
it on the list. Every time I boot up now, it always takes 10 minutes for my
System Properties window to find my C disk.

Could it be that I have both my Windows firewall and my Kaspersky firewall
running at the same time, and it's causing interference to my System Restore
procedure? Or do I have to go into my registry to make a change to make sure
my system can find the hard drive as quick as it did before I reinstalled
Kaspersky Internet Security? I should note that I performed a disk check
this afternoon, and only after that did I start to experience the long wait
for my System Restore to activate, or for my System Properties to find the C
drive.

Chad Harris

Re: System Properties takes long time to display available disks

"CookyMonzta via WindowsKB.com" <u50174@uwe> wrote in message
> This afternoon, when I tried to activate System Restore, I didn't get a
> window. 2 minutes after activating System Restore without the window
> showing,
> I tried to activate it again, and I got a window telling me that it was
> already running.
>
> So, I activated System Protection, and opened the System Properties
> window,
> and in the space 'Available Disks', I saw 'Searching...'. The machine
> was
> busy searching for the only drive I had connected to it.
>
> It took 10 minutes for the System Properties window to find my C disk and
> put
> it on the list. Every time I boot up now, it always takes 10 minutes for
> my
> System Properties window to find my C disk.
>
> Could it be that I have both my Windows firewall and my Kaspersky firewall
> running at the same time, and it's causing interference to my System
> Restore
> procedure? Or do I have to go into my registry to make a change to make
> sure
> my system can find the hard drive as quick as it did before I reinstalled
> Kaspersky Internet Security? I should note that I performed a disk check
> this afternoon, and only after that did I start to experience the long
> wait
> for my System Restore to activate, or for my System Properties to find the
> drive.

Hi Cookie--

By accessing sys properties, I think you are trying to ck. on either your
restore points or the amount
or control the space Sys Restore uses on your drive.

If it's taking extra time to do anything, it should have nothing to do with
those firewalls, however, it is not good practice to run two firewalls for
the vast majority of people and MSFT does not recommend this. It's like
having two quarterbacks calling signals to the same center.

What takes that kind of time is either

a) spyware--scan with Defender and Adaware
b) Ck .on what services you have running at services.msc--most have services
running that don't even correspond with hdw they have--Vista default runs
about 40-45
c) ctrl+alt+delete and see what processes you are running

If you google you can determine what the processes and services are.

d) Make sure you've recently defragged. I like Perfect Disk.
http://www.raxco.com
I recommend you defrag often.

This is not registry mod related from what you've typed Cookie.

Performing a disk check was constructive. I recommend going to your command
prompt and running it as admin and using a chkdsk /r once in a while. It's
the best switch to run.

After you've run Defrag, spyware scanned, (you can download a 60 day full
functionality trial and I recommend doing it) let us know.

What happens when you type restore into search above the start menu--does
that speed retrieval?

Best,

CH