Can't Access the Documents and Settings folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Rock

Re: Can't Access the Documents and Settings folder
You're welcome.

"glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
dean-dean

Re: Can't Access the Documents and Settings folder
Quoting the article mentioned in my previous post:

"I haven't talked with anyone who has a good idea about why Microsoft made
the "Documents and Settings" folder in Vista a junction. The only idea I've
come up with is that some applications had problems accessing folders with
spaces in the name. You'll find the settings in the "Users" folder now; the
'Documents and Settings' folder is a thing of the past."

"glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
>I was wondering about "Users" also - thanks!
> --
>
> "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>> What I don't see in the page dean-dean referred you to is that the folder
>> called "Users" is essentially a replacement for "Documents and Settings".
>>
>> The reason you get access denied on the Junctions is becuase of the
>> "Deny" permission for the "Everyone" group. Some people have suggested
>> removing this, but Microsoft recommends not doing so becuase it can
>> result in infinte loops in some applications.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>>
>> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>>

>> "glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Any reason why Documents and Settings folder can't be accessed? I tried
>>> to change permissions for the folder (including in Safe Mode) and got
>>> access denied?
>>> Any ideas will be appreciated.

smrtchld104

Re: Can't Access the Documents and Settings folder

I recently installed Vista on a new hard drive, but in a quest to pull
some data pictures and backgrounds off of my old windows xp harddrive i
put it in a usb enclousure. I've since switched back to my XP load and
vista is on a different Physical drive, and nothing else has changed
except for opening my pictures folder in vista. I now can't access the
My pictures folder in XP. It says "access denied" but if i know the
exact path i can open files from command line, but can't browse the my
pictures folder and the size is 0 kbytes.
What did i do to my permissions and i do i reset them in xp to continue
using xp?
Thanks

--
smrtchld104

"smrtchld104" <smartguy10104@yahoo.com> wrote

> I recently installed Vista on a new hard drive, but in a quest to pull
> some data pictures and backgrounds off of my old windows xp harddrive i
> put it in a usb enclousure. I've since switched back to my XP load and
> vista is on a different Physical drive, and nothing else has changed
> except for opening my pictures folder in vista. I now can't access the
> My pictures folder in XP. It says "access denied" but if i know the
> exact path i can open files from command line, but can't browse the my
> pictures folder and the size is 0 kbytes.
> What did i do to my permissions and i do i reset them in xp to continue
> using xp?

This really is best posted in an XP newsgroup since it deals with
permissions in XP, but in any event, in XP from Start | Help and Support
search on Ownership and Permissions or see these articles.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418/en-us

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419/en-us

Also if needed see:
http://www.dougknox.com/
Win XP Tips
How Do I Get the Security Tab in Properties?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Can't Access the Documents and Settings folder
dean-dean: My apologies, somehow I missed that part!