How do you format in Fat32?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Gordon

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
"snowenvy" <snowenvy.3r0n7d@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:snowenvy.3r0n7d@DoNotSpam.com...

> formatting in vista to fat32.....
>
> here is a way it can work
> First of all, you have to activate your SUPER ADMINISTRATOR!!!
>
> open your cmd prompt and type in: Net user administrator /active:yes
>
> -note, you have to open your cmd prompt by finding it in your start
> menu, right clicking and select run as administrator. or if you didnt
> find it, look through your file explorer by searching for accessories
> (folder)
>
> anyway, once you have done that, you need to select a password, and
> then you can log out of your account, log into the administrator account
> and open the command prompt again.
>

> get your drive letter, mine was h:
>
> you have to know the volume name of your drive as it does ask you, and
> to find that out type volume at the command prompt and then select 'n'
> to NOT change it.
>
> and you type this at the prompt: format h: /FS:FAT32
> enter your volume name and it should work great.. I don't know if it
> would work on the 360, but I should try it..

What a COMPLETE load of COBBLERS.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Rick Rogers

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
"Chad Harris" <Win7@yes_she_can.net> wrote in message

> Hey hey--
>
> Why would someone want to do this?

Perhaps they are dual-booting with a Win9x system? Can't think of many other
reasons to. Plus, they'd be limited to a 32GB or less volume as Vista cannot
format in FAT32 anything larger.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Richard in AZ

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
"Chad Harris" <Win7@yes_she_can.net> wrote in message news:%23N5afEwwJHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "snowenvy" <snowenvy.3r0n7d@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> formatting in vista to fat32.....
>>
>> here is a way it can work
>> First of all, you have to activate your SUPER ADMINISTRATOR!!!
>>
>> open your cmd prompt and type in: Net user administrator /active:yes
>>
>> -note, you have to open your cmd prompt by finding it in your start
>> menu, right clicking and select run as administrator. or if you didnt
>> find it, look through your file explorer by searching for accessories
>> (folder)
>>
>> anyway, once you have done that, you need to select a password, and
>> then you can log out of your account, log into the administrator account
>> and open the command prompt again.
>>

>> get your drive letter, mine was h:
>>
>> you have to know the volume name of your drive as it does ask you, and
>> to find that out type volume at the command prompt and then select 'n'
>> to NOT change it.
>>
>> and you type this at the prompt: format h: /FS:FAT32
>> enter your volume name and it should work great.. I don't know if it
>> would work on the 360, but I should try it..
>>

>> --
>> snowenvy
>> snowenvy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/92327.htm
>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/729748.htm
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

> Hey hey--
>
> Why would someone want to do this?
>
> CH

Perhaps they are tying to format an external drive so that they can also use it with Windows 98 computers.

the wharf rat

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
In article <eLezHazwJHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Rick Rogers <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>> Why would someone want to do this?

>Perhaps they are dual-booting with a Win9x system? Can't think of many other

Portable media.

R. C. White

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
Hi, Rick.

Check out my earlier posts (2/25 and 2/26) in this thread. And Ian D's
posts, especially the first one on 2/25. Apparently FAT32 is not quite dead
yet.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> "Chad Harris" <Win7@yes_she_can.net> wrote in message
>
>> Hey hey--
>>
>> Why would someone want to do this?

> Perhaps they are dual-booting with a Win9x system? Can't think of many
> other reasons to. Plus, they'd be limited to a 32GB or less volume as
> Vista cannot format in FAT32 anything larger.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

Gene E. Bloch

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:38:41 -0400, Rick Rogers wrote:

> "Chad Harris" <Win7@yes_she_can.net> wrote in message
>
>> Hey hey--
>>
>> Why would someone want to do this?

> Perhaps they are dual-booting with a Win9x system? Can't think of many other
> reasons to. Plus, they'd be limited to a 32GB or less volume as Vista cannot
> format in FAT32 anything larger.

Also for compatibility with Macintosh. OS X can natively read & write
FAT32, but not write to NTFS. Maybe it can't read NTFS either, I forget.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
skepter

Re: How do you format in Fat32?

I downloaded fat32format; easily findable on google. it works on vista
sp1 and is extremely fast.

after you unzip the file, put the "fat32format.exe" file into your
C:\Windows\System32 folder, run it from command prompt. type
"fat32format X:" where X: is the drive letter. voila. it did 48 GB in a
few seconds. if you're anal, there are some clustering options that I
didn't bother with.

neither swissknife nor command prompt worked for me but didn't use the
"net user" command. perhaps it would've worked if I had but i was
skipping around different forums and didnt see snowenvy's post until
just now.

i just started backing up my ps3 data so we're good to go. according
to their support site, ps3 will not recognize exFAT since it's owned by
MS; I wonder if the xbox can read exfat? question for another thread i
suppose.

--
skepter
skepter's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/102274.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/729748.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Derek Simpson

Re: How do you format in Fat32?

A programme called Easeus Partition Master (free for home use!)
reformatted an external USB Fat32 (38+Gb)drive for me in 2 minutes
yesterday after 10 hours of command tries and other battles with the
obstructive Windows system tools. How I wake this morning to find MS
Bling installed as my default laptop search engine is a mystery - had
to downgrade to IE7 t'other day to get rid of a myriad MS
self-promotions.

--
Derek Simpson
Derek Simpson's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/104976.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/729748.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

ianbong

Re: How do you format in Fat32?

Hi, I have a major problem here.. My pendrive is accidentally formatted
to FAT. Initially it has 4GB but now it displays that it has only 2MB!
Its really frustrating for me because I've tried everything that's said
here including cmd and countless other softwares but the same message
pops up: everytime I try to format it, it says "the volume is too small
for fat32". But my pendrive has 4GB, and suddenly it now becomes 2MB
only! How do I get back my original memory space?

Please help.. I'm out of ideas.

--
ianbong
ianbong's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/108620.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/729748.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

Re: How do you format in Fat32?
ianbong wrote:

> Hi, I have a major problem here.. My pendrive is accidentally formatted
> to FAT. Initially it has 4GB but now it displays that it has only 2MB!
> Its really frustrating for me because I've tried everything that's said
> here including cmd and countless other softwares but the same message
> pops up: everytime I try to format it, it says "the volume is too small
> for fat32". But my pendrive has 4GB, and suddenly it now becomes 2MB
> only! How do I get back my original memory space?

I'm not sure how a drive can accidentally become formatted, but you can
format it from third-party software like Acronis Disk Director or boot with
a Linux Live CD like Knoppix and use gparted to format it to FAT32.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!